AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody i recently had comcast come install cable at my apartment with an hdmi dvr/hd box and am liking it but i seem to have a couple issues i need addressed and was hoping you guys would be able to assist me.


My first question is can i run hdmi to my receiver and then from the receiver to the tv AND run component/audio from the box directly to the tv ( my girlfriend just wants the tv picture/sound sans receiver)


my second question is when i push the on demand button there seems to be a problem with the picture. you know the little preview screen where they have stuff playing? well i can see that where it is supposed to be but i can also see it in the bottom left corner as well.


my last question is there a way to eliminate the black bars on left and right on some channels while leaving my television on "just scan" by changing something on the box? i tried the 4x3 override options but they still were the same


thanks for any answers guys, sorry its so long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf /forum/post/12930535


.....My first question is can i run hdmi to my receiver and then from the receiver to the tv AND run component/audio from the box directly to the tv ( my girlfriend just wants the tv picture/sound sans receiver).

Its likely that you can but you shouldn't have to. The set should be able to use the HDMI input for video and audio. Unless running the HDMI through the receiver causes HDCP problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf /forum/post/12930535


.....my second question is when i push the on demand button there seems to be a problem with the picture. you know the little preview screen where they have stuff playing? well i can see that where it is supposed to be but i can also see it in the bottom left corner as well.....

Check out the Wiki Motorola STB Bugs page and read 3.18. This may be your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf /forum/post/12930535


......my last question is there a way to eliminate the black bars on left and right on some channels while leaving my television on "just scan" by changing something on the box? i tried the 4x3 override options but they still were the same


thanks for any answers guys, sorry its so long.

If there are black pillars (left and right) on HD channels this is due to the material actually being upconverted SD. This is done by the provider, not the stb and the stb doesn't know the difference. Your best option is to use a zoom feature on your set if you don't want to see the bars. Any option you put into the stb will result in all HD materal being affected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any ideas on why the 4x3 override keeps turning off? i always set it to stretch but it seems to go back to off, n i have to switch it everytime, its annoying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf /forum/post/13042700


any ideas on why the 4x3 override keeps turning off? i always set it to stretch but it seems to go back to off, n i have to switch it everytime, its annoying!

What are your other settings? Does 4:3 override change to off immediately or does it happen after you press the power button on the stb? BTW, I don't know what "just scan" means on your display, so a brief explanation may help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Normally what I do is if the picture isn't filling the entire screen, I just use the zoom feature on my Samsung DLP



I have my Comcast 3416 box set to 480I output for standard TV and 1080I for HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/13043358


What are your other settings? Does 4:3 override change to off immediately or does it happen after you press the power button on the stb? BTW, I don't know what "just scan" means on your display, so a brief explanation may help.

it changes sporadically sometimes it stays for a few hours, then later its back to off. i have to change it to stretch at least once a day. just scan on my display is the screen "option" that cuts off the least amount of picture.


tv type is set to 16:9

hdmi/ypbpr output set to 720p

additional hdmi settings: hdmi/dvi mode set to hdmi colorspace set to ycc 4:4:4 audio output pass through
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top