Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a link on thedigitalbits.com to a Reuters/Variety story mentioning that

"Four titles will hit the street June 10: DreamWorks' "The Peacemaker," 20th Century Fox's "X-Men," Universal Studios' "U-571" and Artisan's "Terminator 2: Judgment Day." They are expected to retail for $35 to $45 each."

The story also mentions pre-orders from BestBuy and buy.com for Terminator 2.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I hope Bill Hunt owner of the digital bits is making better guess's than TFC. Thanks for letting us know Larry, it's nice to see our moderator making interesting posts! :)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Hob. I think thedigitalbits is trying to stay ahead of the 8-ball in regards to D-VHS. They just quoted the Reuters article. No scrying of the crystal ball was required.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
They had a nice full page advertisment for those 4 movies in HTM (Home Theater Magazine) this month. If you haven't seen it, go pick up a copy.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
If I was interested in going backwards to tape and also spend the extra $$$$ for pre-recorded HDTV content, then I would be willing to wait for the 2nd generation JVC player with a DTS compatible digital output.

JVC has stated that they will have full bitrate DTS 24/96 support on their D-VHS encoder soon. According to WSR, the four studios are interested in using the DTS 24/96 capabilities. Hopefully, they will support DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 at full bitrate too.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
David600:

Check out Art's thread on the HDTV Recorder forum...a lot of people at the WSR demo came away very unimpressed. That stinks--I wanted to hear "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread" type of comments, not "too soft" and "not much better than the DVD" type comments.

Dan:

Define "soon" :) Apparently, the JVC rep at WSR's D-Theater debutante party was very non-commital regarding DTS support. Anyhow, they made no mention of a next generation model; the DTS support will be provided via a firmware swapout at the factory. No dates discussed. At the very least, I would hope we'd see DTS 1509! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Before concluding that the news from the WSR D-Theater was unimpressive, check out the FULL thread in the HDTV Recorder forum. One of the comments in the thread was that both the U-571 D-Theater tape and the D5 master showed only "subtle" improvement over the DVD--a comment that speaks volumes. How is it possible that the D5 master is only marginally better than the DVD? It isn't (and it wasn't). But many people might have thought so because most of the people watching the demonstration were simply sitting too far away from the screen to be able to tell the difference (although everyone had an opportunity to sit in the "sweet spot" after the formal presentation).

The improvement of the D-Theater tape over the DVD is not subtle. There is no question that some D-Theater tapes look better than others, but even after seeing the mediocre ones you will not want to go back to the DVD.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wcp45
The improvement of the D-Theater tape over the DVD is not subtle. There is no question that some D-Theater tapes look better than others, but even after seeing the mediocre ones you will not want to go back to the DVD.
Agreed. I wasn't at the WSR demo, but I did see FIGHT CLUB in the HD format. Hard to look at the DVD version now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.