AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all this stuff is asked many times. I have read through a lot, but am looking for some simple advice from experienced people.

I recorded the NCAA Basketball Final on High Quality and have downloaded it to my PC with DVArchive. What would be the easiest way to put it on DVD now? The whole recording was 2hr 40min. Will this even be able to fit on a single DVD? I have several pieces of software available to me, just not sure what to use. I tried to open it in Tmpg but it always fails to open. Giving me some sort of error. I also have DvdIt PE. Will this be able to burn it easily? Any and all advice would be Greatly appreciated as I just recently got a DVD burner so have not had any experience archiving from the Replay yet.

Thanks as usual everyone!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenn71x
I know all this stuff is asked many times.
yes, it has :).

Quote:
I recorded the NCAA Basketball Final on High Quality and have downloaded it to my PC with DVArchive. What would be the easiest way to put it on DVD now?
Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2.0 is the easiest way, but it's very simple in the options that it gives ya. there is a new, very promising, DVD authoring app soming out very soon that i would recommend - even for the first time user. it's called DVD-lab and u can find more info OVER HERE .

Quote:
The whole recording was 2hr 40min. Will this even be able to fit on a single DVD?
depends on the size of the MPEG....my quick math tells me that ur file is about 8.25GB or so (2.75 * 3gb/hr = 8.25) and u would need to split that across 2 DVDs in order to keep the quality....lowering the quality (which would involve an entirely different process) of a sporting event is not recommended at all - it'll wind up really "blocky" and pixelated. to split the file, most peeps around here, including myself, use Womble MPEG2VCR....it's one of the better ones around for RTV MPEGs.

as far as the programs u mentioned, i haven't used any of em, but i'm sure some others around here have tho.

good luck...sturmie

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is actually 6.5 gigs. I guess it still wont fit though huh? The files keep the exact same size when being burnt to DVD? They are not re-encoded or something to a smaller size?

·
Registered
983 Posts
nope...a 6.5gb MPEG will not fit on a 4.7gb DVD.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You might try authoring the DVD as is without reencoding the 6.5GB MPEG. This will produce a DVD image/fileset too large for one DVDR, but you could then use one of several DVD9 to DVD5 tools to transcode the too large DVD files to a single DVDR. It is much faster than reencoding, and you may not lose as much quality that way.

There are several DVD 9 to DVD 5 programs out there, but only one so far is free--DVDShrink (obtain at http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/DVDShrink103.zip ). Check out http://www.doom9.org and http://www.dvdrhelp.com for info on other options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.