AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 26" or 32" lcd for our bedroom. Right now I have a crappy 19" 4:3 SD LCD that needs to go. So, my question is this, with a QAM capable lcd, do I need a Comcast box to get HD fed to the tv? I will probably keep my ReplayTV 5040 unit in the bedroom as it has a lifetime subscription. Recording in HD will not be a big deal to me as most HD viewing will be done on the 50" plasma in the living room.

I'm not up to speed on QAM tuners and their capability so I just need some input. I'd like to not have to fork over yet more coinage to Comcast as I have a monthly bill already approaching $150 per month (Internet included) but if that is necessary for getting HD to this set then so be it.

Thanks!

T

·
Registered
868 Posts
As a general rule Comcast passes the local stations HD signals "non-encrypted" AKA "in the clear" so sets that have QAM capable tuners can see them just by splitting the Comcast feed and hooking the signal to your set. In general you will only get your local stations that way. You need an HD box from Comcast if you want to view the cable networks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume ESPN is not included in the non-encrypted package? Just ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, correct? If so, I could live with that.

So, I would need a cable splitter to send one side to the ReplayTV and the other to the TV, with the cable bypassing the dvr as the one that sends the hd locals to the tv?

Dumb question, I can't pass-through the HD channels through the ReplayTV could I? I know recording them would be in SD but would I be able to view in HD?

·
Registered
868 Posts
You need to go to your local area thread to find out what may be in the clear on Comcast in your area. Here Comcast carries ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and the CW network in HD in the clear. They also carry an assortment of other non-HD local govenment and public access channels but no ESPN, CNN, or anything like that. You have to get one of their boxes and pay extra to get those.

The answer for your second question is: YES

I know nothing about Replay TV but would think that if it is not an HD box, HD will not go through it at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts