Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 16:9 HDTV-ready RPTV (Pioneer Elite PRO710) and am currently using a non-HDTV DirectTV sat receiver. I'm ready to upgrade to a Panasonic HDS20 HDTV receiver, but had a few questions that I'd like to ask the forum members:

1) In order to receive both HD-DirectTV and standard DirectTV, will I need both my original dish and the HD eliptical dish, or will the eliptical dish receive both signals?

2)Assuming the eliptical dish will receive both HDTV and normal DirectTV signals, and is dual LNB, can I connect both the HDTV and my existing normal DirectTV receiver to it?

3) Is the HDTV sat in roughly the same location as the normal DirectTV sat, ie: can I just swap the eliptical dish in place of my existing dish, do some minor adjustments, connect the HDS20 and be up and running?

4) How are the DirectTV fees structured? Are the HDTV channels just another set of addon premuim channels or will I need a whole seperate DirectTV subscription for the HDTV channels?

5)Do the HDTV channels just show up in the guide as additional channels in the DirectTV 001-999 range, or are they handled in some special way?

6)An HDS20-specific question: I want to use the component video outputs; are both standard DirectTV (480i) and HD DirectTV (1080i) channels routed through these outputs? In other words can I view all channels, menus, etc solely using the component outs? I know this is an strange question, bu I've run across other AV equipment in the past that has odd limitations on the component outs.

I'm planning a dedicated projector-based HT addition to our home, and depending on how difficult/expensive the upgrade will be, I may put it off until we finish it. But if its a simple swap, I'd like to start enjoying HDTV now.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help and insight.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mike,

To answer your questions;

1. You can use just the elliptical dish

2. Will work all receivers

3. One LNB points at the same satellite, the other in another direction, does require a little more tweaking then a round dish.

4. Right now there is a HBO channel that comes with the HBO package, and a Preview channel that shows Pay Per Views at 12:00 Midnight EST.

5. HBO - 509, PPV and Demo Loop - 199

6. I do not have the Panasonic, but should be able to view all channels through the component output.

Most of your HD will be over the air broadcast, so that is going to be the best part of the receiver (in my opinion), if you do not know the details of your areas current stations, do a search on the forum and I am sure you will find others with posts from your area.

Good Luck

------------------

Peter L.

[This message has been edited by toshiba5 (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank very much for the great info, Peter - appreciate it!

Now on to some newbee questions regarding over the air broadcasts :)

When you say "over the air" are we talking rabbit ears, circular UHF antennas or the like? Or do the cable companies carry them in some upper band or something?

We live in a small valley about an hour from Los Angeles, with a terrible mercenary cable company ($35/mo for basic channels) that will probably be the last in the country to adopt HDTV. Everybody in the valley has cable or DBS since we get very little in the way of VHF reception (and many HOAs don't allow VHF antennas).

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes! OTA will require at least indoor rabbit ears. You'll just have to try it and see what DTV/HDTV channels you can receive. I just checked the channel listings for L.A. that are supposedly in operation and looks like all simulcast digital channels are UHF.-

Analog Digital

KABC 7 53

KCBS 2 60

KCAL 9 43

KNBC 4 36

KTLA 5 31

KCOP 13 66

KTTV 11 65

KCET 28 59

KWHY 22 42

Suggest the Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna from the Antiference Corp.-
http://www.antiference.co.uk/indoor.htm

It has the uncanny ability to pick up the weakest UHF channels analog or digital. Do a search on this antenna name in this forum and you will find many references and where to order it. It's an import from Britain for less than $50. Many local dealers carry it. Try
www.nbtelectronics.com/ at-
http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...=item&value=SS

Supposedly, a cheap UHF antenna from Radio Shack may do the trick but I've tried this route but had better results with the Silver Sensor in my area.

As for your local cable company, you will have to check. Some cable companies are now offering DTV services but it's not Hi-Def.

------------------

STOP DFAST NOW!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mike,

As Dave stated you will need to purchase an antenna. Before I went out and spent the money on an rooftop antenna, I would do a search for people in your area that currently receive the HDTV Over The Air signals and see what they are using to receive them. As Dave stated, some people use a cheap radio shack antenna to pull in the HD feed, I purchased a new rooftop antenna only to find out a few months later when I hooked up a 2.99 radio shack bowtie antenna that I could have got away with that antenna. If you cannot find a search, you may just want to post the question on the forum for your area, be sure to put your city or county in the post name. Good Luck!

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toshiba5:
Mike,

To answer your questions;

1. You can use just the elliptical dish

2. Will work all receivers

3. One LNB points at the same satellite, the other in another direction, does require a little more tweaking then a round dish.

4. Right now there is a HBO channel that comes with the HBO package, and a Preview channel that shows Pay Per Views at 12:00 Midnight EST.

5. HBO - 509, PPV and Demo Loop - 199

6. I do not have the Panasonic, but should be able to view all channels through the component output.

actually #2 is not totally correct. Depending on what non-dtv receiver you have will make a difference. if you have a 5th generation receiver ( will have a direct tv plus symbol on it) then the elip dish will work with the new panny and your old receiver. If not, then you can still use the old receiver by bypassing the multi-switch on the elip dish and running a direct line from the 101 lmb to the old receiver. The older receivers (4th generation and below) do not have to ability to recieve multiple sat locations (only the 101)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have an elliptical dish running through the multi switch and am running a DST3000 and a 16bit receiver from 1994, all function properly. The dish will not receive the channels broadcasted from the other satellites, but will still function for the main satellite (101).

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I first obtained DirecTV in September 1999, I bought an old RCA receiver. I'm not sure of its generation, but it's definitely not a Plus receiver.

Since then, I've added a Mits SR-HD5 HDTV receiver, and two Hughes E-11s. They are all Plus, and they decode both the 101° and 119° locations, while the RCA only receives signals from 101°.

It's really very simple. The two arms on the dish each have two cables, so there are four cables going into the multiswitch on the back of the receiver. The four cables coming out of the multiswitch all carry the same information combined from both satellite locations. You just plug those into the receivers and voilÃ*. They made using the elliptical dish very easy. The old receiver just won't know about the 119° signals, so you won't be able to watch NASA TV, BYU TV, Para Todos channels, etc.

The hardest thing is pointing the elliptical dish. After that, it's all quite painless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.