AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I will have a new PC that is designed to be a speed demon for high end video graphics. My intent is to transfer video to DVD to play on my Panny HDRPTV. I have had the Toshiba SD 5109 DVD player for several years and think it is great. It won't play DVD-R discs however. I need to purchase a DVD drive that will write in one of the many flavors (DVD+RW, DVD-RW etc.) I also need to buy a DVD player that will play one of the many flavors of DVD. I will buy the DVD player first. Any suggestions on a DVD player that will handle one or more types of writable or rewritable media for DVD? I am trying to find something inexpensive inasmuch as I have just spent a few dollars on the computer and video camera. I already have a AV receiver to process sound so that is not necessary. I plan to keep the Toshiba 5109.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Everytime I use my VCRs, I am dismayed by the poor quality, especially the video noise (I must be getting spoiled by DVDs and satellite). Originally I was thinking of replacing them with mini-DV decks, but now that rumors of recordable DVD decks will be available soon, I am seriously considering those (such as the Philips DVDR1000, which is apparently already available in Europe).

The Philips decks use DVD+RW drives, thus, DVDs recorded on them can be played back on any DVD machine. It also has different recording modes (VHS quality = 4 hours, SVHS = 3 hours, DVD quality = 2 hours, and DV = 1 hour).

I have a collection of VHS and SVHS tapes that I would like to preserve, and apparently the Philips decks have circuitry that would minimize detail loss during the dubing.

I considered going the DVD+RW drive route via my computer, but for now, I prefer the convenience of stand-alone decks.

The VHS system is now 20 years old, it's time we move on. And hopefully the studios won't try to stall the release of this product.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to make "home movies" , edit them on a DVD drive on my computer, then play them on a DVD player. The specs for the Toshiba SD5109 says it will not play DVD-R. I assumed that included DVD+RW. I don't know for sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to the forum and I found this particular thread. I've become very intrigued by some of the DVD recorders on the market, especially DVD+RW.

The guys at Philips seem to have a leg up on the other standards because their recorder uses an i.Link(firewire) connection for DV editing on a home computer and plays back in "almost all" DVD players.

They just opened their new site and are giving away a DVD+RW

http://www.dvdrecorder.philips.com

Todd

·
Registered
570 Posts
As far as I know, stand-alone DVD recorders such as the Philips are not yet avialable in North America. I believe they just started shipping in Europe.

However, DVD+RW drives for computers are shipping. I am not sure if they are available alone, or must be purchased as part of HP and Dell PCs.

There are 2 other writable DVD formats out there, DVD-RW by Pioneer, and DVD-RAM by Panasonic, and these have been available for a while now. However, there is little dispute that the +RW format is superior.

One of the keys for me is the cost of the blanks. Anything over US$10 would be too high.

·
Registered
866 Posts
From the Philips website above:

Because of the DVD+RW format specifications, DVD+RW discs should be playable on DVD-Video players. However, when DVD-Video was introduced, no DVD+RW test discs were available for manufacturers of DVD-Video players to test full compliance of their DVD-Video players with the values of all parameters actually used in the DVD+RW standard. Some manufacturers did not manage to be fully compliant and therefore today not all DVD-Video players currently in the market are capable of playing DVD+RW discs.

It seems like someone should start a site that lists all DVD recordable formats and let users all over the world input on which recorders are compatable with the most DVD home players in the world ........

Anyone????

Bernie

·
Registered
866 Posts
More from Philips web site sounds REALLY good ...

"The first Philips DVD Recorders, the DVDR1000 and DVDR1500, feature:

* A built-in TV tuner and an AC-3 decoder/encoder for superior sound quality

* Variable Bit Rate recording (VBR) to ensure enhanced picture quality without pixelization

* Crystal Clear Pro Progressive Scan with a Motion Adaptive System (DCDiª chip by Faroudja), which optimizes and corrects for artifacts, resulting in a razor-sharp picture

* An index picture screen (IPS) on the disc which gives both a visual and text representation of recordings that have been made.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Bernie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.