AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please pardon me if I sound like a moron, its 4am Im getting sick and Im at work doing Graveyard Shift.. My question is; if I have a HTPC then I do not need a reciever to hook everything into, I can just connect the video out to my Projector and run the sound off of my computer speaker system.. Does this sound correct? How are most people utilizing their HTPC's? Are they running them directly to the Projector or to a reciever of some sort?

Thanks for your help!

Frank

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can run the sound off your HTPC/PC speakers if the sound card has the correct analogue outputs for the 5.1 speakers, and the correct decoding.

You can also run a digital out if the sound card can hadle it into a reciever if you so wished too.

Cheers Josh

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josh,

thanks for the fast response!!

Currently How are most people utilizing their HTPC, how are they connecting it to their Home Theater?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Video out: RGBHV to an ECP 4000

Audio out: SPDIF to a 5.1 decoder

I generally use it for DVD playback, occasional games, and playback of a bunch of Divx encoded TV eps

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paladyn:

Do you recommend any particular ECP 4000 or 5.1 decoder?

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ECP 4000 is one of Electrohome's CRT projectors. I picked this one up for $800, and run it at 1024x768 most of the time. haven't gotten into tweaking crazy resolutions with powerstrip too much, but I will eventually ;)

As for 5.1 decoders, I can't make too many enlightened suggestions. I went with something cheap until I could convert my basement into a theater area.

Any help guys?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.