AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've read all the what I thought was relevant posts avaliable in the local OTA and HDTV Hardware forums, and I think I've got the general idea, but I still have a some questions, for clarification.

I am getting a lcd hdtv(the 26" Syntax one I think) which I will be playing xbox and dvds on. I plan to stream hd content from my PC to the xbox using it's hd pack as a connection. This won't present a problem right?

But my real concern is OTA. I won't be getting any sat or cable services, since I don't watch much tv. In order to get HDTV channels, will I definitely need a HD reciever or can I just get an antannae?

The Syntax I plan to buy says it's only HD READY, so i guess I do. But it supposedly has a tuner.. Whats the tunner for?

And if I DO need a reciever in addition to the antannea, can I get a cheap

SAMSUNG SIR-TS160 or some old DirectTV box off ebay and have it work? How does this work? You just hook up the antannae to the reciever and the reciever to the tv?

Will I need the card for this to work?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The built-in tuner is for analog (NTSC) stations. If you hook up an antenna directly to the set, you'll be able to watch whatever analog stations you can pick up.

To watch digital stations, you'll need an HD receiver such as the ones you mention. You hook up the antenna to the receiver, then connect the receiver to the TV using whatever connections the two devices both allow. The two receivers that I have (Samsung SIR-T451 and US Digital DB-2010) both have composite video, component video, amd S-video outputs. The Samsung also has a DVI output. Some receivers probably also have an HDMI output.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I decided on the Syntax LT30HV, which says it has dual tuner. Does this mean it has a atsc tuner also and I won't need a HD reciever?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydee
OK I decided on the Syntax LT30HV, which says it has dual tuner. Does this mean it has a atsc tuner also and I won't need a HD reciever?
Link to LT30HV

This TV, which is being phased out, hence the low price, has two NTSC tuners for PIP, and no ATSC tuner for HD.

Be aware that Syntax is coming out with a new 32" and a new 26" soon, which I and others are waiting for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I realize a newer model is coming out, so this is cheap, but I am only paying 750 for this 30", which is good value imo. It is just missing a hmdi port. The specs I saw of the "comming soon" models doesn't seem to have an ATSC tuner either, unless I am wrong. Is the that Idea technology the big difference or something else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah, no HD tuner in the new ones, either. Great price on the 30". IDEA is supposed to make a difference, but I am not sure how much. I'm waiting for the 26"HVX, the specs for that one are better than the HVE.

Let us know how the 30 does if you get it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it didnt' start out good. The box died on me after 10 mins on the xbox. Went and exchanged it and they ran out. They gave me a HVS one instead. I didn't think the extra tuner was that big of a deal. There isn't any other differences right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.