Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I recently sent an e-mail to our local CBS broadcaster (KMEG) to ask about their rollout of HDTV. This was the response/excuse:

"KMEG has not finalized DTV plans as of this date. There have only been about 100,000 receivers purchased nationwide and many stations are in a holding pattern waiting to see if the Bush administration is going to change the DTV plan. Chances are we will not make the May 2002 rollout date. Congratulations for being a pioneer in the DTV age. You are the second viewer that announced the purchase of a DTV receiver. You will be pleased with the picture quality when we begin transmitting DTV."

I was wondering if his '100,000 receiver' figure is correct (not that it matters to them anyway). Anyone know where there are some accurate numbers on HDTVs and/or receivers out there?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hiltsy855:
I was wondering if his '100,000 receiver' figure is correct (not that it matters to them anyway). Anyone know where there are some accurate numbers on HDTVs and/or receivers out there?
Actually, I think the number is *less*. Perhaps it has hit 100,000 by now. One of the problems is that there were not many available but they are finally coming to market. They are way too expensive though. As others have pointed out, it is pretty annoying that newer receivers are priced *higher* than the older DTC-100. They need to push the HDTV receiver price down below $200 instead of above $700!

The ratio of "HDTV receivers" sold to "HDTV monitors" sold is shockingly low. There must be lots of people buying HDTVs just to watch DVDs . . . but what do you expect when there is so little content. At least DVDs are giving the HDTV monitor market a boost. Also, people have been waiting out the 8VSB controversy, but that seems to be settled now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.