AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i stopped by Sears the other day, and they had a Panny G10 and next to it a Samsung B650 LCD. What struck me as interesting is that for some reason it really seemed that the Sammy LCD has darker blacks than the G10. The Sammy screen just seemed darker. Like when it was turned off, the screen looked darker than when the Panny was off. I guess they put some kind of special tinting on the LCD's. But side by side, in the store, you can easily see why the vast majority of people buy LCD's. The Sammy was just blowing the plasma away in every way, including the blacks. Any comments?

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
The plasma does have better blacks than the LCD, but in a brightly lit store, they don't show up as well (the plasma's blacks get washed out in a well lit room). Unless you watch in a viewing room with a millions bright lights on in your ceiling, the store is not the place for the comparison (and yes, you are right, more LCDs than plasmas are sold because they show up better in a store setting).

Both plasmas and LCDs have their pros and cons. IMO, plasmas have the better PQ overall, with better off-angle viewing and no motion blur, but to each their own.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgit11 /forum/post/16929762

The Sammy screen just seemed darker . . . when it was turned off, the screen looked darker than when the Panny was off . . .you can easily see why the vast majority of people buy LCD's. The Sammy was just blowing the plasma away in every way, including the blacks. Any comments?

Yeah, I've got three comments:

1. I don't spend too much time looking at televisions that are turned off.

2. I walk by LCD televisions five days a week in houses. The bigger the LCD screen, the worse the picture looks when not standing directly in front of it.

3. I sure am glad I don't live my life the way the majority of people live theirs, and I'm not just talking about the televisions they buy.

Signed,

A Panasonic plasma television owner whose television doesn't buzz like a Samsung

1 - 3 of 3 Posts