AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3 connected to a Gateway FPD2485W via HDMI/DVI. I have configured the settings to how I thought they should be for me to enjoy 1080p. The monitors menu system has an info bar that tells you what the resolution is on what you are playing or watching. On what seems to be most of my movies the info bar states either 1080p or 1920/1200. But for some reason when I went to check it while playing both the Terminator 2 BD and Kingdom of Heaven BD it says it is being displayed at 1080i.

When I am playing GT HD or the NBA demo it will also state 1080p. Basically I am trying to say that I believe I have everything connected correctly and that my settings are exactly what they need to be. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some of my other posts that may make more sense.

-My PS3 was seemingly adjusting to play 1080p when it should and 720p when it should without a hitch. I have now started watching my Blu-Ray movies on my PS3 and have overall enjoyed doing so. Here is the thing though. When I hit the menu button on the monitor to just make sure that the discs are playing at the proper resolution I have had some confusing results. Most of the flics (along with anything else 1080p,Gran Turismo HD, etc) show on the menu bar to either be playing at 1080p or it will state 1920/1200. No problems there but on a couple of my BDs,Terminator 2 and Kingdom of Heaven it states that it is reading at 1080i. ???? Everything is hooked up properly and obviously (at least to me) the settings are set correctly because the other discs work fine and when I play the games that should be at 1080p well they are at 1080p. What gives?

-Yes I know that 1080p is 1920/1200. I am just giving an example of what the menu bar has stated in past instances.

So again sometimes it states 1080p other times it states 1920/1200 and the problem is that on certain BDs it states 1080i. ????

I turn on the PS3 to a 1080p menu then I start watching Kingdom of Heaven and guess what? 1080i. See what I am saying now and why I am frustrated and confused?

·
Registered
739 Posts
According to the manual this monitor can't do 1080p, however it can do 1080i over DVI / Component. Check around but I think this monitor is much like the Sony SXRD1's that were considered 1080P but couldn't actually accept a 1080p signal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see on page 35 it does state that. But now I am uber confused. Page 25 says that 1920/1200 IS available in the DVI connection.

Again I must add the fact that I have been watching other things (Games, BD) in a resolution stated by the monitor as 1080p or it will say 1920/1200 .

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2Man1 /forum/post/0

I see on page 35 it does state that. But now I am uber confused. Page 25 says that 1920/1080 IS available in the DVI connection.

Again I must add the fact that I have been watching other things (Games, BD) in a resolution stated by the monitor as 1080p or it will say 1920/1200 .

Over component and DVI, the best your monitor will do is 720p and 1080i. That is clearly listed in the specs on page 41 of the pdf.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 /forum/post/0

Over component and DVI, the best your monitor will do is 720p and 1080i. That is clearly listed in the specs on page 41 of the pdf.

OK I get it. But please tell me this. Why does the monitor state that I am watching these things in those reolutions if it were not true??????????????????????????

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2Man1 /forum/post/0

I see on page 35 it does state that. But now I am uber confused. Page 25 says that 1920/1080 IS available in the DVI connection.

Your display's native resolution is 1900x1200p/60 so even if your source states 1080i what you see on your screen is 1080p (you tv de-interlaces it) since you have a fixed pixel display and fixed pixel cannot display a interlaced signal. If you hooked this up to a computer you should be able to do 1900x1080 or 1200 which would be progressive, maybe that where the PS3 is getting confused depending on content since it handshakes constantly to find the proper resolution (which I actually like since I have mine on a HDMI switch). You could always hook up a "VGA" device and see if you can set that to 1080p.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek /forum/post/0

Your display's native resolution is 1900x1200p/60 so even if your source states 1080i what you see on your screen is 1080p (you tv de-interlaces it) since you have a fixed pixel display and fixed pixel cannot display a interlaced signal. If you hooked this up to a computer you should be able to do 1900x1080 or 1200 which would be progressive, maybe that where the PS3 is getting confused depending on content since it handshakes constantly to find the proper resolution (which I actually like since I have mine on a HDMI switch). You could always hook up a "VGA" device and see if you can set that to 1080p.

Thank you. I made the mistake of stating several times on accident 1920/1080 when I meant to be typing 1920/1200. Long night.

Anyway i thought what you are syaing is what was happening. Just stating one thing but actually dispaying another.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys, this monitor DOES support 1080P, the manual is incorrect. It supports 1080p over both VGA and DVI. The resolution it supports should tell you that, not the stupid manual.

As to your problem, I honestly don't know the answer but I will look into it. The manual is incorrect as 1920x1200 is totally available via DVI (that is the res I am running)

I personally think the PS3 is the issue here and not the display.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 /forum/post/0

Dude the pdf is wrong, again I am running 1080P over DVI on both my PS3 and PC at 1920x1200 using this display. Since when do tech users put so much faith into manuals anyway? Jesus christ it's obvious what the display supports just by looking at the specs and resolutions it supports.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris23 /forum/post/0

Guys, this monitor DOES support 1080P, the manual is incorrect. It supports 1080p over both VGA and DVI. The resolution it supports should tell you that, not the stupid manual.

As to your problem, I honestly don't know the answer but I will look into it. The manual is incorrect as 1920x1200 is totally available via DVI (that is the res I am running)

I personally think the PS3 is the issue here and not the display.

No...his monitor can only accept 480p, 720p or 1080i via DVI as per the manual. It can only accept 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i via component as per the manual. His display then processes (scales) the input to match the display's native output.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:

Dude the pdf is wrong, again I am running 1080P over DVI on both my PS3 and PC at 1920x1200 using this display. Since when do tech users put so much faith into manuals anyway? Jesus christ it's obvious what the display supports just by looking at the specs and resolutions it supports.

The pdf is not wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:

http://www.gateway.com/programs/wide...24_specs.shtml

Scroll down and READ....

d Inputs: [spacing] Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA

Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080p). Includes HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection)

I repeat, the PDF is wrong.

Yup. The pdf is wrong and ferris23 is right!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Clearly, I have run into many manuals that are incorrect over my time working in an IT Dept. I never take faith in anything that someone has to type up.

But again, the monitor runs true 1080P over DVI with proper aspect and no scaling using my PS3. Again the supported resolutions of the display should make the fact that it supports DVI/VGA 1080p pretty obvious, regardless of what a ****ing manual says.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.