AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a chance to speak to a couple panny reps recently and i learned ....

-- as we heard, there will likely be another price dip AFTER next week but BEFORE thanksgiving. the next dip will be spurred by their new plant going online, which should be very soon. by thanksgiving, their work is basically done -- they've made their deals with retailers and have shipped out their holiday stock. so, basically, by the end of october or so, prices should have more or less stablized for the year -- aside from the occasional sale.

-- panny will continue to lower their prices to stay competitive but will never be as cheap as the maxents of the world (at any given time).

-- the HD8UKs were supposed to be out already. they've had manufacturing delays, hoping to get them out, as has been reported, in sept (note: other poster says VA says they'll be in by the end of the month!)

-- commercial vs. consumer: said, despite cnet review, that when fed the same signal source through the same imput, the tvs have identical PQs. still, more calibration options on the commercial.

-- though this is still under discussion, the suspicion is that this will be the last year panny makes an ED set. asked if there was any difference between ED and HD sets in terms of SD or DVD, reps said they think that's a subjective buyer rumor and SD is the same on both, while DVD is extremely difficult to tell any difference. (said he has nothing against ED sets -- has told cash-concerned friends to buy them instead of HD, but not after last may's drops)

-- pioneer: an impartial person said they saw the new pioneer set demo'd against a panasonic a couple weeks ago and it blew the panny away. of course, we don't know how it was calibrated, it was a pioneer booth or something

that is all

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
asked if there was any difference between ED and HD sets in terms of SD or DVD, reps said they think that's a subjective buyer rumor and SD is the same on both
Obviously what each person finds attractive in an image is subjective but calling it a "rumor" is misleading. I'd label the phenomenom that most people find SD television better on an ED as "conventional wisdom" than a "rumor". A rumor is the belief that plasmas need to be re-charged.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed
Obviously what each person finds attractive in an image is subjective but calling it a "rumor" is misleading. I'd label the phenomenom that most people find SD television better on an ED as "conventional wisdom" than a "rumor". A rumor is the belief that plasmas need to be re-charged.
the word 'rumor' was mine, sorry. he was basically just saying that he thinks ED set owenrs tend to think that, but in his opinion, it's not the case

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerscrossed
Well, if you really want to get into semantics, a rumor is an unsubstantiated claim that may or may not have truth to it. Until recently, the Panny price breaks were a rumor. The belief that plasmas need to be recharged is a myth. A myth is something that is commonly believed to be true or purported to be true but is actually not true at all.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
the word 'rumor' was mine, sorry. he was basically just saying that he thinks ED set owenrs tend to think that, but in his opinion, it's not the case
I'd agree it's a rumor. I owned an ED Panny and now own an HD panny of the same size and have found SD PQ on the HD comparable, if not slightly better. DVDs look equal to my eyes as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
jcinzano -- thanks for the update...it's good to know there's another price drop in the pipeline. As for your statement, "an impartial person said they saw the new pioneer set demo'd against a panasonic a couple weeks ago and it blew the panny away," we'll have to see, but I'm not sure about the "impartial" part. I read the same review, and the guy clearly knew something about what he was talking about. Subsequently, I've read several of his posts on a UK site, and found out he's in the business of selling Pioneer. For all I know he sells Panny as well, but he may have an interest in putting out some Pioneer buzz.

No big deal in the end; price drops and quality improvements are all good for the consumer, and these are exciting days!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
had a chance to speak to a couple panny reps recently and i learned ....

-- as we heard, there will likely be another price dip AFTER next week but BEFORE thanksgiving.
Did your contacts say anything about a price drop on the commercial units? It seems obvious that there'll be some adjustment required, but nobody's posted anything definite on it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wasn't some guy, it was a girl i know personally who happened to be at some HD event where they had this configuration set up. she's no hd expert, but i figured i'd pass it along. not familiar with the other column or whatnot

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonsammy
Did your contacts say anything about a price drop on the commercial units? It seems obvious that there'll be some adjustment required, but nobody's posted anything definite on it.
i wish i would have asked as i'm interested in the commercial units, but no. the UKs tend to have higher msrps but lower street prices in general. i would be surprised if -- at least within a month or so after release -- they weren't cheaper than the commercials through online vendors.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
it wasn't some guy, it was a girl i know personally who happened to be at some HD event where they had this configuration set up. she's no hd expert, but i figured i'd pass it along. not familiar with the other column or whatnot
Oops, I misinterpreted your comments to be referring to Post #74 in the thread linked here:

Pioneer 6gen review

It had the initial first-hand review I'd seen of the new Pioneers, with similar good things to say about black levels and performance vs. Panny. It's good to hear a second opinion on that...or maybe not, since the Pioneer will almost certainly retail for more than the Panny.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecor
I'd agree it's a rumor. I owned an ED Panny and now own an HD panny of the same size and have found SD PQ on the HD comparable, if not slightly better. DVDs look equal to my eyes as well.
I wondered about that. I'd seen SD on some ED sets last year and it looked pretty good to me, then when i bought the new HD set i found SD looked about as good as i remember on the ED sets, where i expected to be slightly worse since it's an HD set.

I presume SD looks better on your new HD set because it's 8th gen glass compared to your ED set having 7th gen glass. SD on my Panny HD looks almost as good as it does on my 32" HD-ready Panny tube, which is to say very very good. I'm so glad i waited and ended up with an HD set instead of last years ED set.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would very much doubt that the next decrease will be all that substantial. Maybe another couple hundred bucks?

That said, I have now seen a 50-inch Panasonic streeting at ~$3,000. It makes me wonder if we can't see a stree price of $2,000 within 2 years?

Oh, and as for Pioneer, bring it on. The more competition the merrier.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
well the scientific atlanta 8300HD dvr/hd cable box has been flaking out when connected to my set using hdmi cable. the picture sometmies blacks out real quick on non-hd channels and when viewing the dvr, and the display on the box keeps flipping back and forth betwen clock and channel, the box locks up sometimes, sometimes the remote wont work, and it even acts flaky with the tv off, sometimes the box just turns itself on. i find it hard to believe the vizio is at fault, so i called time warner and they are replacing the box saturday. it did seem to work fine with the component output though, so ill try another box

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it was either on another thread or on this one and was removed. if you poke around the price comparison web sites, you'll find it

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett72
What 50-inch Panny model did you see for ~$3,000??? I haven't seen one below $4,000... Just curious
Check the thread on the new prices for the 8UK HD commercial models. I expect we will see on-line discount prices on the 50PHD8UY fall under $3K very soon, if they have not already.

You know if they keep this up, we could have a price war on our hands... :eek:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdave
Plasmaco/Panasonic rep, SID, May 2003.

$2K, 50", 2007

It's almost like they're following a....roadmap....or somethin'!

-RandomDave
You think? ;)

If Hoover were alive, he'd be calling for a "plasma in every pot". :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.