AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The May 6 issue of AdWeek, which is widely read in the advertising, marketing and media communities, has a very positive feature story on HDTV in its special section on the state of the cable industry.

Headline: "I can see clearly now. Cable operators are beginning to realize there is money to be made in high-definition transmission"

The complete story is online at www.adweek.com (search on "HDTV") but, unfortunately, you have to pay for it.

The general thrust, though, is that a lot of influentiual people in the industry feel that the coming year will see programming, set ownership and cable carriage reach the "tipping point" where HDTV starts to grow geometrically, as color did in the mid 1960's.

Mark Cuban makes an interesting point about the REAL economic driver in all this:

"We're selling eye candy to early adopters," says Cuban. "People with HD sets are the most affluent customers, and there's a war on to get that subscriber - is it cable or satellite? Both need high-definition content to get or keep that subscriber."

Interesting reading.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Well hes right... I mena if you spend thousands for a TV your gonna have the most programming packages and I know many people have dropped their analog cable packages for HD sat packages. And those packages are pretty expensive so the cable comapnies are losing many customers. I onjly have basic cable now so I can keep my cable modem service.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar

I only have basic cable now so I can keep my cable modem service.
Hmm. I canceled cable TV after I got DBS, but I was able to keep cable modem service alone. I sure hope AT&T doesn't get the notion to require something like the above.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
The general thrust, though, is that a lot of influentiual people in the industry feel that the coming year will see programming, set ownership and cable carriage reach the "tipping point" where HDTV starts to grow geometrically, as color did in the mid 1960's.
This is great news! I sure hope these influential people are correct. I have been waiting and waiting for HDTV reception hardware sales to take off, but it has only been mediocre growth so far.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yep, sound promising.

AT&T just stated some plans to roll-out HD Cable over here in Chicago!

Not much is being offered, but it's better than nothing. And you can rent the HD STB ($10/month) as opposed to buying one for $500-1200.

Woo Hoo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.