AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a complete noob, but I am jumping in with both feet. I was able to mount my external satellite speakers, (4 of them), today in the existing prewire spots (ceiling). I was getting real excited to connect them to my reciever when I noticed that there are not any wires labeled for the front two satellite speakers in my main wiring box behind the TV.

I have the following labels on my wires:

Left Rear - 2 wire

Center Rear - 2 wire

Right Rear - 2 wire

SUB - 4 wire

SUB - 4 wire

VC Family Room - 4 wire

Unlabeled black coax wire.

Is VC Family room a Volume Control wire? Is there a chance that my front two speakers are connected to this? I do not have any wall plates with volume control wires in them.

Aagh! I thought that I was going to be able to connect the dots, but I am getting the feeling that I am in over my head. Any ideas or tutorials that can help me out. I do not want volume control on my walls. I am quite happy just to control it with the receiver.

Thanks in advance - Dan in San Diego

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,652 Posts
Are there any available wires in the location where you would put the L/R/C??

If so hook up a battery to the ends then go to where you have all those wires and assume that they are mis labeled and start testing every pair with a voltmeter or something that would indicate the battery power on the other end.

OR if there are no visible wires for L/R/C, the builder may have assumed that you would locate your receiver in the front of the room and just run the cables on the floor behind floor standing speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have installed the left and right front satellites and found the wires located in the ceiling and connected them to the speakers. The problem is that I assumed that they were straight runs back to the TV.

There are no wires labled Right and Left front behind the TV in the cove, so I am assuming that the blue cable 4 wire labeled VC Family Room means that I have the right and left speaker wires coming to a junction box hidden under the drywall. From there, the VC Family Room wire must be dangling right next to the junction box. I just don;t know where it is. My wife will kill me if I start drilling holes in the walls trying to find it.

I never wanted manual controls. I just wanted the straight runs...

By the way, thanks all, for your help.

Dan - San Diego

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,652 Posts
you need to borrow or buy a signal generator and a receiver unit. You hook the generator up to one of the pairs for the L/R/C which you say you found and then use the receiver to detect where the wire goes. It will be able to detect the signal from the wire below the drywall.

Is it possible that VC stands for various channels???

http://www.datacomtools.com/catalog/tone-probe.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with a neighbor on the phone and he has the same prewire as I do. He found out that he has a volume control, but he does not know the location either. I bet that I have the same option as well.

I would hate to buy a tone generator. Maybe I need to hire someone to finish the deed. I just hate spending so much money. The universal speaker mounts were $80, the plethora of cables needed to hook up my components, of which I am not sure is going to probably kill me. I just found out that I need to get an LFE cable for my subwoofer because my Yamaha HTR-5840 does not have the old jacks that I am used to.

Sorry for the whining, I thought I would have my feet up right now enjoying a movie.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Use a portable CD player.

Take an old RCA Phono cable, cut one end off, strip the wires and make a temporary connection to one wire.

Using cheap head phones, test all the unknown wires.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,652 Posts
I'm assuming that as Kevin has suggested that you have checked ALL possible exposed wires for a positive hit.

Before running down to the store for cables go to Monoprice.com a sponsor of this forum and you will save over 75% on your cables.

As for the tone generator I wouldn't be buying one for this one job. You might check with a local tool rental store or if you really want to be nasty do what a lot of people do. Buy one at HD. Be careful of the packaging. Use it once. Repackage and return the same day with the receipt. If you do this I willl put you on the people I hate list, and if you do this too many times I think you will be flagged in the HD computer.

As for the subwoofer connection I looked at a picture of the rear of your receiver and at the user manual (amazon.com) that receiver has two connections for a subwoofer. The first is down near the bottom of the back under outputs and looks like a normal RCA jack. Run a cable from there to your subwoofer.

The second is up near the top and from what I can tell it is unique to the Yamaha subs and only turns the subs power on and off. Most subs will go into standby mode if they don't get a signal and you don't need that connection for other brands of subs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a tone generator kit at Home Depot for $69. I will be using it again next week to find the outside patio volime control. I figure to keep it, as I may not be done with upgrades or moving throughout the years.

I found the speaker wires and the volume control wire next to the light switch. I found the mud ring that they put the drywall over. My wife does not like the newly installed wall plate that is next to the light switch, but the surgery was needed.

I have no idea why they prewired just the 2 front satellites for volume control. I decided to use wire nuts and make a straight run to my reciever.

The universal speaker mounts were $80 for a set of 5 mounts.

Thanks all for your help. The system sounds pretty darn good for what I paid for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.