AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would one be able to apply it to some screen material thats already mounted (Dazian matte white). How much would it take to cover a 96"diag 16x9 screen. How easy and forgiving is it, and who has here has had sucess w/it. What do white's look like on a grey screen? If I went and got a sample of grey paint from a hardware store would this give me a general idea of what the goo screen would look like...What makes goo different than grey paint? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
A common misconception. Screen Goo is an Optical coating formulated as a rollable-sprayable coating.. what people like to call 'paint'. There is HUGE difference between paint and what Screen Goo is. For example, the factory that Screen Goo comes out of has formulated 4800 different coatings over approximately 8-9 years. The formulations lab is in the enviable position of literally being at the top of the coatings industry.

The depth of knowledge behind the coating designs is exceeded by little or nothing else that is on the market. Down to the point where screen manufacturers have approached us to manufacture coatings for their products. We can't say who, though......

We are constantly working on new products.. even though many consider them to be as good as it gets - already.

So, getting samples of grey from a hardware store is exactly that --- a sample of grey from a hardware store. Anything lik a paint from a hardware store compared to Screen Goo; is like a clock radio compared to High-End Audio equipment.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
This belongs in the Screens forum. Transporter Room, energize!

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
KBK, your points are taken, but would you be able to answer the original posters other questions about using Goo on mounted screen material, and amount needed, etc.? Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
After having my rolled digital gray screen goo running for about 10 days so far- I have to competely agree with what Ken is saying. It looks wonderful, and the screen will only get better in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I do realize that paint is paint and goo is goo, but how does it work on screen material, or do I need to paint it on MDF. The screen material is already tensioned.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Goo can be used on just about any substrate that is flat, and smooth. Anything but specific kinds of plastic. The soft, stinky, oily plastic rolled sheets are totally out of the question, but that goes for just about any coating you care to try. MDF, Gatorboard, GatorFoam, Melamine, Rangerboard, HDF, Masonite, Formica, Drywall, Gyprock, Gypboard, Foamcore (NOT reccomended!, too soft and papery!), Balckout Cloth, Fabrics, Canvas, pre-gessoed canvas,.... the list is endless.

Other screen materials can be used, but harder, less oily vinyls only. What exactly that screen material is, -that is suitable- ...that is difficult to determine ahead of time. Each screen material must be assessed separately,and it is not something i have the time to pursue. There are too many other screen materials out there to effectively test, as it is a TIME thing, having to do with aging of the two products (goo on the screen material) together.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anybody have a FAQ GOO link? I'm not sure I understand what it is.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
send me an email for GOO FAQ

·
Registered
538 Posts
The other day I was wandering in the hardware store and saw a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" pink insulation (Foam type) that was quite stiff and very flat. What about painting on this?

My interest in that is based on the fact that it would be so light taking it down to use the 4:3 screen (Pronounced my wall) would be of minor effort that the wife or the kids could do it with ease.

Rick

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ken

I have a L300u in a light controlled room (although white ceiling and light carpet) and a 120 inch (59" x 105") MDF screen. I originally painted it with high heat aluminum, but I'm not happy with the unevenness of the finish. I am happy with the colors and darks of it though.

I'm considering repainting it with your products. From what you've said so far my best bet would be Digital Grey Basecoat and either CRT white or Digital lite topcoat. I've also gathered that it would be a good idea to get the retarder and rollers from you as well.

Which topcoat would you recommend with that basecoat for my application? (I would like some gain as I do have large screen). Also how do I go about ordering the digital lite, rollers and retarder? I don't see any of them on your website.

Thanx for all your help

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ken's busy for a while so i thought i'd answer this if he doesnt mind?

For the Panny, i would go for the Digital Grey Light Topcoat and Digital Grey Basecoat. It has already relatively good blacks in the machine so a digital grey topcoat would be abit too dark. But some people prefer darker images.

As a general rule, CR over 700:1 you'd go for the Digital Grey Light Topcoat... with CR under 700:1 a Digital Grey would be better. Then we start thinking about lumens output and size of screens etc.

A Digital grey light topcoat and digital grey basecoat would be better for your room too because it's relatively bright room eg white walls and light carpets.

Gain for digital grey light is 1.0-1.2 depending on application.

I dont think you really need a retarder. Simple thinning with filtered water should be sufficient. Roller you could purchase from Ken himself or use any high quality semi gloss 1/4nap roller.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how are the colors affected w/grey screen versus a white, does anyone have anyside by side screen shots of the same image w/grey vs white screens. What does goo give other than improved contrast/black level?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used the crt white goo with my X1 dlp and am extremely pleased at the whites and colors and am not unhappy with the blacks either... I used Avia to tweak it all after a couple of days and the difference is truly amazing compared to the regular paint I had previously experimented with. The details are increased, the colors are more vibrant, the darker areas of the movie are not hard to see at all as had previously been a big problem. And the blacks remain blacks and not grey as you might expect out of the crt white. I have not seen any other goo other than the pictures that have been posted around here but decided to go with white goo based on the fact that I like watching movies in the dark and the grey screens are really for warding off ambient light. My Dad is a pro painter and he cut the goo with allittle filtered water and sprayed it on for me. No big deal at all and the performance of this stuff has to make me wonder why people are wasting so much time and money on cheapo schemes like spray paint (DOH!). This is really very little costing stuff when compared to the price of a "real" screen of the same type picture and size. I did a 92 inch wide 16x9 screen and have half the goo topcoat left (half-liter) for touchups later on should I need it...

·
Registered
692 Posts
AAVI

Ken had mentioned that using the CRT white topcoat with a gray basecoat might be a good combination for high gain and increased contrast. I can't remember where he said that, but he also said that nobody had really tried it yet. I was wondering whether this might be better than the grey lite on grey base for a large screen size. Or do you think I'd be better off sticking with the grey lite?

·
Registered
82 Posts
gobrigavitch,

yes ken did suggest using a CRT basecoat and digital grey topcoat... would also have to be sprayed not rolled because of the characteristics of the coating.... in detail why... im not sure... best to ask him :)

also nobody has tried it... so haha you could give it a go and tell us how it turns out :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The lighter basecoat makes the screen a lighter gray color..and returns more light back to the viewer. Also, it makes the screen produce slightly more reds in what could be termed the 'brightness' or 'overall' characteristic. This is good for the all the bad color temp bulbs out there, which every single PJ has, that does not have a xenon type bulb!

It should be sprayed, as the topcoat is slightly translucent, and any roller marks from unevenness of coatings will show through, because of the lighter colored basecoat. The only way to keep it reasonably even is through the use of spraying instead of rolling. Someone can prove me wrong and try and roll it. Go head, make your day......!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.