AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering what to get for the new PC I built, LG UH12NS30 seek times look faster and costs less than the competing ASUS BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS . Seems like the obvious pick. Any personal experiences with the LG?

Also, for Blu-Ray movies should I be thinking about what software to get or do I even need any? I have VLC and the Windows Media Center that came with Windows 7 Ultimate. It is okay to stick with those or should I really be using something better if I want a good experience? (Good, not incredible. I'm not THAT picky.) When I eventually opt for a way to get 7.1 sound from this PC, do the players I already have support that?

As a side question, I've been toying with the idea of a burner/rewriter. Should I even consider getting a burner? Or is it just an added expense I'll end up not using? Do Blu-Ray writer/rewriter disks serve a really useful purpose compared to thumb drives and SD cards? Is there a purpose they excel at?

So yeah. Is that a good drive model? Personal experiences? Should I just use VLC and Windows 7 Media Player, or should I opt for something better? Burner, yay or nay?

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella  /t/1523221/some-questions-about-blu-ray-interals#post_24501335

Neat, I guess I should probably try that before deciding whether or not to spend money. 👍

Just to let you know with that method, you will not get any menu's. It will only play the main title.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, guess I'm not doing that then. I saw a rumor that a new Blu-Ray complete edition of Star Trek: The Next Generation with extra content will be coming out sometime after 2015, and I totally want it. I hope they do the same thing with all the Star Trek shows to be honest. I never saw any of the modern ones in completion and I really want to. I kept missing them. Now that I have a DVR and a smart phone reminder, I never miss the few shows I really love. (bad memory)

No opinions on Blu Ray rewriters? And no one here has used that LG model or knows someone who has?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm going to get this drive... it seems nice, good price, has a good customer score everywhere I look, and I don't see any patterns with any complaints. Any problems I see seem to be isolated problems to those individual users. I'm glad these drives have gone so far down in price.

·
Registered
545 Posts
FWIW, I have LiteOn iHBS112 BD burners in both my HTPC and Desktop, and work very well. I've had no problems with either of them.

They are also on the short side at 170mm long.

I've had less luck with a LiteOn iHES112 BD Rom drive, that drive is rather tempermental with discs.

I don't know much about the UH12NS30 drive you are inquiring about, but the LG WH14NS40 BD Burner is a popular unit.

The good thing about the LG WH14NS40 is the shorter size at 165mm. Good for working in some cramped HTPC cases (if that is a factor).

I've read some good things about the ASUS branded drives too.

If you can hold on for a bit, these Burners go on sale frequently on NewEgg for about $50 (OEM Units), and sometimes less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts