AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50in non HDTV Hitatchi tv running on Comcast cable (non digital)

I have this hooked up to a Sony Dream System. (last years model with Prologic 1 not 2) and i know the cable channels are going through the speakers. BUT on like Dolby Digital 5.1 shows theres no surround sound!!! Is it supposed to be like this. If i stand on a chair and put my ear right up to the rear speakers i can hear some stuff but you cant here it from my seating.Also when it is a true Dolby 5.1 show the reciver stays on Pro Logic not switching to the decoding the show uses.Is this supposed to happen.If its not what could cause this.I can definatly hear stuff from the center channel. And the Fronts are not as loud as i would like. I checked my settings on all speakers and they are at there proper levels.Ive been having this problem from day one(last Christmas).The surround works on games but its loud and audible but its still not coming in too good.

Also i have a few other questions on upgrading the dream system.

I was wondering if i bought new speakers would the amp be able to handle new ones.The stock ones are like 90w a piece i believe say i buy some 150 watt speakers. Would my amp be able to handle this or would it put them at 90w??I think the book says the system is about 450 or 500w or something now.Is that the most my amp will handle.So if i buy better speakers they will be obsulete.

Also i want to upgrade my amp so i can get some REAL bass i can feel like explosions on movies.Would i be able to get a better sub and get the bass im dying for or will i need a new amp to handle all this.

Any help on the first problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I may not be understanding you, but if the cable box isn't digital, you can't have 5.1. Period. It would have to have a digital output on the back going into a Dolby Digital receiver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm okkk thanks for clearin that up..i was thinkin i could get it cause on my tv theres a left and right audio jacks for out to the amp..hmm i guess ill just get digital cable this week then cause im dyin with this crappy sound

Thanx

Jeremy

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think that if you connect your 2-channel anolog from the cable box to the reciever the prologic should convert the signal to a surround sound. You definetely will not get a digital 5.1 discrete signal but you should get good surround sound from all your speakers. Some stations may not respond as well as others though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.