AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the comments in this forum and reading reviews elsewhere I have decided to purchase this unit. But before I do please unravel a few things for me:

1. is it really much better to use the s-video connection since it utilizes the Faroudja chip ? I was planning on converting all my s-video cables that lead to my Denon AVR-3801 to component cables.

2. will adding a brighter lamp have any positive effects on the X1 ?

3. what alternative lamps are there ? $300 for a lamp is not cheap at all.

4. I read somewhere that the X1 could support higher than 1024 x 768. Is this true ?

5. If my X1 is shipped with an older firmware, should I flash it to the latest - any void of warranties ?

6. I plan to purchase the false celing mount. Any advice ?

7. I noticed that Infocus also sells a wireless audio/video transmitter that connects to the X1. Has anybody used this and what problems if any ?

8. I also read somewhere that a new X2 is to be released possibly in the next few weeks. Should I wait for it ? Will it be better than the X1 ?

Thanks in advance

Neville

·
Registered
440 Posts
1- I would say use the component to vesa adaptor..I just hooked mine up, have a cheapo panasonic prog scan dvd player and the picture is noticably better than it was with the s video.

7- I was told by INFOCUS tech support that the wireless is crap. It is used for office presentation where quality is not THAT important. He said the wireless can even handle 480P..HD si outta question

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK then it seems like i should stick with going Component and HDTV then.

I gathered that there might be some negative effects going wireless. I'll just stick to wired and make sure those cables are well insulated if I have to travel long distances.

Is the 800x600 resolution a big problem ? I understand that if seated really close you will see pixelation but are the texts on the screen jagged?

OK well seems like this is going to be my first projector then. Is there any advice any of the X1 owners would like to give me ? Install or playback or wiring etc ? Here is my setup so please comment if you will:

-Denon AVR-3801 driving Boston Accoustics center and rears (8 ohms)

-Linn preamp and bi-amps driving Linn front speakers (4 ohms) with various sources including turntable.

-currently a Sony sacd/dvd player but will upgrade to Denon 2900 progressive & sacd player

Thanks so much for your advice so far.

Neville

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your denon upcoverts all composites and s vid to component right?

Buy the svid to component adapter for the x1 (available direct from infocus), and run your output cable to that, the x1 is component capable through the extra pins in their svid port.

X2 is rumored to be a downgraded x1, not better. They are removing the DCDi chip.

As far as your lamp questions, I dont think there are lamp alternatives. The projector is engineered for that specific lamp. Chances are before you need to replace it (4000 hrs, 11 hrs a day for a year is lots of use) , another better cheap pj will have your eye. Just put aside a little money every month (I just put aside $30 a month).

Get the x1 now, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my Denon has to have one type of cable throughout, so if my dvd player is connected thru s-video and i want to run component-I will not see anything.

So it seems like all i need is that VESA adapter right ? I do want to go progressive/HDTV and use component connections.

I figured I might as well just purchase the extra lamp from Infocus when I purchase the X1. that should last me 4-8 years from now, like you said I would be eyeing out something else by then.

OK so this downgraded X2 is certainly not worth the wait or even justifcation to buy it.

Do you know id the resolution is a factor ? Its just the only thing that is really bothering me. I admit that its a helluva bargain compared to other projectors at 1024x768 and higher.

Thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Are you flashing the batsignal all night ??

Why buy an extra bulb before you have to? Even if you leave the projector running from the day you get it it will last close to 166 days!!

If you use it 20 hours a week it will last you ~4 years!

I figure the bulbs will come down in price and even if they don't you still have your $$ and can use the money for other stuff.

If you want to feel secure, you can give me 90% the cost of a new bulb today, and I will ship you a bulb when your original dies. :)

Colin.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can input 1024 x 768, and the x1 will scale it to 800x600.

800 x 600 is plenty of res for dvd and tv (better than the source). I do alot of pc gaming, and dont consider it a problem. I have no source for HD so thats not an issue for me but many say HD looks great on the x1.

The Denon 2900 is a hell of a machine. Yes you would want to run component through the vesa port.

I run my Sony dvd through the Svid component adapter as I didnt see a diffrence between it's progressive mode through vesa to component, and running it through the svid to component adapter. But it's not in the league of the 2900.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The resolution is really not an issue until you start playing around w/ PCs, etc. It will display the hight resolutions, but text, such as surfing, office, etc are not perfect. However, the text is actually more readable than I expected. This thing does a great job w/ HD, which is well over it's native resolution. For movies, it's not an issue since movies have less lines than the native resolution.....and the picture is just stunning.

I think that the key here is the fill ratio (percentage of pixel filled with light). DLPs in general have a better fill ratio, which minimizes screen door tremendously. Last night, I had mine cranked up watching Monsters Inc (stunning as usual) and then Dark City. Because the room was more full than usual, I ended up maybe 5 feet from the screen, which is well inside the normal viewing distance, and I still could not pick up the pixelation....not until maybe 2 or 3 feet did it become readily apparent. I don't think that I could have pulled this off with an LCD......except maybe some of the higher end or the tops in this class.

Moral of the story, you will be very happy with the X1, as long as you aren't doing much text-intensive computer work or you are part of the group that is susceptible to rainbows.

Have fun....u won't regret your decision.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You just touched on some terms that I have not clarified. Exactly what is meant by screen door and rainbow effects. I know the rainbow effect is caused by the 2x speed of the color wheel but thats all I know.

For now I plan to just use our white wall as a screen.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks again

Neville

·
Registered
304 Posts
Neville,

No offense intended, but before you drop just under 1K on a projector, you need to click around in this forum a bit more and find out what rainbow effect, and screen door are. If you don't know this, and you are one of the many people that are terribly annoyed by the color flashes, then it will really mess up the whole experience of buying your first projector.

I will summarize here for you, but seriously, click the numbers at the bottom of the page, and spend about 20 minutes digging and you should have all the info you need. Or try searching under 'rainbow' 'rainbow effect', and 'screen door' and you should get what you need.

Simplified explanation of rainbow effect:

The X1 creates a picture by spinning a disk in front of the lamp. The disk has the primary colors in sections on the disk, red, green, blue, and white. (I think the x1 has white.. anyway not important) The disk spins rapidly, forming a rapid sequence of red/green/blue flashes for each frame of video.

This is how a single chip can produce a color image, where LCD projectors require 3. (one for each color) Just like you do not perceive the individual frames of a movie, and instead just perceive motion, your eyes do not register the individual flashes of color, and instead just combine them in your brain, into a moving color image.

The problem arises when different people perceive these flashes at greatly different levels. It's just how your brain is wired.

To use an analogy, tap your finger rapidly on the table. Let's say each 'tap' represents red/green/and blue. Right now your tapping in the same place and making a 'color' image there. Now, move your hand while tapping. Suddenly, the red green and blue taps don't line up anymore.

Different people are more or less sensitive to the distance between places where your finger tapped on the table. A faster color wheel, speeds up the 'tapping' so if fast enough, even when you move your hands, the flashes are lined up enough that you don't notice the difference.

What this translates to on a projector, is when your eyes move across the screen, you may see the image 'flash' in a different color. This effect is amplified if you are closer to the screen because your eyes have to move more, and, if you are looking at scenes with rapid movement or bright objects.

Personally I really wanted to get the X1, but found after viewing one, that I am sensitive to this, and would have hated owning the projector. It's nothing against DLP technology, just the slower color wheel.

I am not bothered by color wheels that are moving 5x, or even really 3x machines. It's just 2x is too slow, and causes problems for me. Others can't watch 5x machines, and some have no problems with older 1x units. It just depends on the individual.

The catch is, if you have guests over, you won't know if they are going to be sensitive to this. With some people it is so bad that it causes nausea and headaches, but those seem to be the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Screen door on the other hand, is a reference to the space between the pixels on an LCD projector. The space between them since no light passes there is black. And can produce the same appearance on the video screen, as if you were looking through a screen door. In my personal experience, I am not at all bothered by this, particularly because i sit far enough back from the screen that it is impossible to see the lines. (at least for me and my friends)

Because of this, I ended up with the Z1 (actually the 'better' 1HD unit from Studio Experience) which is the closest competition to the X1. (2 or 3 hundred more in cost, but worth it to me to avoid the color flashes)

You really need to demonstrate each unit, before buying. A lot of people in this forum are more than willing to let you come over and play with the toys, if you ask nice. I've hosted one person at the great cost of *optionally* bringing some MGD long necks, and he was most impressed, and glad he came by. :)

(which by the way, anyone in the Austin/Bastrop area who wants to view a 1HD, I'll extend the same offer)

Just put a post up of your location and that you would like to view someone's unit, and you may be surprised at the level of support, and generosity of the members of this forum.

Well, my 'short' post turned out not to be so... anyway... Good Luck, and once you know what you want, I think you will be most pleased with your purchase. The only home entertainment item I've ever bought better than my projector, was/is my DirecTiVo, but that's another post. :)

-Jason W

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Personally, I find the screen door on the Z1 much more annoying than the "rainbows" on the X1. As long as you sit far enough, such as around 12 feet or so, you won't see screen door on the X1, while you will on the Z1.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Screendoor is not really an issue with DLP pj's like the x1. Rainbows are overstated in this forum, I saw them easily at first, but they have completely disappeared for me. They are not something that lingers or bothers most people. Of all the people that has seen my pj, only one has mentioned the rainbows at all, and that was my brother. At least 50 people have watched my x1.

To define what a rainbow is, it's a small red green blue striped flash that shows up on occasion where bright parts meet dark parts. It is physically small in size and lasts for a mere fraction of a second. Similar in duration to a one frame flash of a subliminal message. ( I can spot such one frame insertions in film maybe thats why I could see em? )

The contrast on the x1 will kick any similar lcd in the butt, and the DCDi processor beats the heck out of any thing else in its price range. Add in the 4000 hour bulb, it's a steal. Dont buy into the rainbow overhype. People will do anything to piss in someone elses icecream.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Let me first include the prerequisite "I love my [X1]."

Other than those bothered by rainbows, most find the qualatity of the X1's picture to be great, and at this point nothing within $500 (half again the X1's price) has a clearly superior picture, esp if you will be watching any non-DVD/HDTV (ie cable or dish.)

If you want to wait for the "next new great thing" the Optima H30 will be in the same price range and offer a 4X 6 segment color wheel and the same SVGA resolution, thus should eliminate rainbow complaints for even the majority of those who are sensative to the X1's 2X color wheel.

Since the H30 has not been released, no one can say it will be better than the X1, but it likely will be the next hot entry level DLP projector.

If you don't want to wait, go to Best Buy and try one out. You have a month to decide if you want to return it.

*I habve heard many who have returned the X1 because they saw rainbows, but I cannot remember a post about someone buying an X1 and having guests complain about them. It seems to be mostly a problem for those who know what they are, and use the projector on a daily basis. I would Not worry that if you aren't bothered that you friends will when they come over to watch a movie.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Some people see one rainbow, usually in a "rainbow prone DVD" that someone kindly told them to use, and think "it can only get worse," when the reality is it only gets better from this point. Once you stop looking for rainbows, they all but disappear, and the ones you do see are so fleeting, split seconds really, that only an idiot would obsess about it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
James.....Not sure shy you are seeing screendoor from 8 feet. Are you using the S-video or component/VGA? Perhaps it has to do w/ that if you are using S-video. Are you using it in video instead of presentation mode? Sorry can't give more input......I actually was expecting to see it from 5', but couldn't do it. That's why I was asking about the source signal, etc.

Rainbow "hype" - Yes, there is a hype about the rainbows. However, it is a legitimate issue for some people. I actually can see rainbows, especially on dark movies like LOTR and Dark City and when I'm tired. However, I have found that adding some ambient light can help. Also, I am finding that they don't bother me as much once I have recognized that they are there and moved on to watching the movie......which is easy considering the PQ is so great.

I have to agree w/ Edward......the screendoor that I have seen on LCDs is a harder hurdle to overcome than the rainbows of the X1. Pixelation in my mind actually degrades the viewing experience, because the colors appear much weaker and less fluid/rich/contiguous.

I don't want to turn this into a "mine is better" thread. I would agree w/ tkx1......I would just give the X1 a trial run. Simultaneously, I would do what jw15851 suggested and see if anyone in your area has a Z1 or maybe a L200U/L300U. Then, you could see for yourself. As stated, you can always return the X1......though you probably won't. :D

Good Luck

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jw18581, your explanations were spot on to what Robert Harly said in his Home Theater for Everyone book which i just picked up.

I will probably buy it from BestBuy and if i suffer these effects i'll return it and pay the restocking fee. If i like it I will go back to Infocus' website and buy the accessories.

Thank you to everybody for answering my questions and concerns.

Neville

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Quote:
James.....Not sure shy you are seeing screendoor from 8 feet. Are you using the S-video or component/VGA? Perhaps it has to do w/ that if you are using S-video. Are you using it in video instead of presentation mode? Sorry can't give more input......I actually was expecting to see it from 5', but couldn't do it. That's why I was asking about the source signal, etc.

I am using Svideo/X1 processing for DVD and composite for DTV. I have tried video, movie , presentation and several other custom settings.

It not bad at all compared to my old XGA LCD but I can see the pixel structuring from my seating postion.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
I have no trouble seeing the screen door on my X1 when viewing from 8'...am I doing something wrong?
Probably not. What size is your screen?

My screen is 62.5"X49" and I sit 8' from it. I occasionally do see SDE or perhaps it is the square edges of the pixel structure (one and the same?).

It is not a bother to me. Small price for a large clear picture. I do use the computer (component vesa) input for my progressive scan DVD player and Svideo for all other sources. Composite had a muddier, noisier quality and I did not need it anyway as my receiver has Svideo switching. I do think that the better the image the less one notices the SDE.

All that said I really should sit further away or have a smaller screen for SDE to not be apparent. It is so rare that I don't mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.