AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an older pj but I own it and can't spend any money as of now so with that in mind, I have a few questions.

I have ordered the M1 to component and M1 to HDMI converter cables. Do they work with HD cable boxes and upconversion DVD players? Or, do I have to buy any specific players?

Will I notice an improvement in Picture quality over composite video?

The manual says the X2 is capable of 720p so if I feed 720p through an HD cable box or a DVD player, will I really get 720p in the 16:9 mode?

I am getting my Time Warner HD connection tomorrow so your answers will tremendously help me. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the M1 componant cable for use with my 360 and it works fine so should be good with DVD players and such.

HDMI i am not too sure about since it is a digital connection and the M1 i think is analoge.

Yes it will do 720P just fine i have the HD-DVD add on for 360 and the movies look great

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am able to watch Cable and DVD with HD upconversion fine on 720P and 1080i. The picture quality is pretty good for an older projector. I am using the M1 to HDMI cable and it seems to work pretty well. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Just an FYI. You are not projecting 720p. You are projecting 720p downconverted to 480p. This can still look great, but it's not 720p.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/12967771

Just an FYI. You are not projecting 720p. You are projecting 720p downconverted to 480p. This can still look great, but it's not 720p.

Oh. I thought the manual says 720p and 1080i. Anyway, the picture quality is pretty good from what I can see as a difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the x2 also, was trying to run it through my Onkyo receiver I just bought that has hdmi inputs and one out put that upconverts everything to hdmi. I would like to run it through my system but the x2 will not read it. But I can play it directly from my blu ray and it works fine by hdmi cable. Is it because it doesn't have an HDCP chip. I was told that was the reason. I am looking at changing it for an Infocus screen play 4805 with HDCP. Will that work with my Onkyo. I want to be able to have HD sound as well. That is why I want to run HDMI cables. Any help in the matter would be great.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I used to have an X1 - you can try a component-to-vga adapter (I got mine on IF's website) for 720p/1080i signals. Or the component-to-SVideo adapter only for 480p signals (if the X2 has the additional pins like the X1 did). Should be okay, since the X1 used a PixelWorks scaler for 720p/1080i signals. Then use coax or optical for your sound to receiver.

Of course that would be the cheaper route to take; otherwise, the 4805 would be the next cheaper route, and then of course there are the

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,

I am having a similar issue. I have recently purchased an XBOX 360 Elilte with HMDI out. I want to connect this to my Infocus X2 but I don't want to waste money on the cable if it isn't going to work. The XBOX 360 came with an HDMI cable however as you're aware there is no HDMI port on the infocus X2. Should this work if I purchase a HDMI to M1 adapter?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well my guess says that it should accept HDMI with the M1>HDMI adapter, because my X3 accepts the M1>DVI and its also digital soo and X2 is similar...

well thats my theory anyhoo. Im using my xbox 360 with a cheap version ($10- non Microsoft) VGA xbox cable the into a female to female gender changer ($3-) then to the standard 15pin VGA>M1 cable that comes with the projector. If the hdmi option dose not work thats the alternate way, but it should.

this is my 3rd day with my X3 projector and sooooo in love with my new home cinema. Forza 3 demo looks awesome!!! :p

enjoy

Shono

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was glad to see this topic; I am looking at purchasing an Infocus X2 for a "very good" price and was wondering some opinions about it, etc. I know it is an older projector; but I am not ready to expend major money on the home theater yet as it is a work in progress. However, I don't want to even bother with it if it doesn't produce a "nice" picture for a home theater setup. I know it is not a "home theater" projector; but the lumens and contract ratio are very comparable to those that sell for a grand and are advertised as home theater projectors. I know it says 800x600 native; but it also does say 1028x768 maximum and the specs DO say 720p/1080i compatible. So, if it is connected to an HD-DVD player with the M1-HDMI adapter mentioned; will it produce a 720p/1080i image? In general; what kind of quality is seen with this unit in a light-controlled, home theater setup. Those that own the X2; are you generally happy with the image provided compared to other setups and would you purchase again if necessary? I would be projecting in onto a 123" screeen. How would it compare to a Sony VPL-BW5 unit that I can get new for $600? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Here's my opinion from a X3 user that very similar to the X2 but with a native 1024x768 resolution. For your situation wanting to project onto a 123" screen at a resolution of only 800x600 makes me think you'll have to be seated extra further away to not notice the extra large pixels and other image artifacts that wouldn't be noticeable at higher resolutions. And when you place the projector into 16:9 mode you'll even loose more vertical resolution to 800x450 (16:9). The X2 accepts higher resolutions 1080i but just re-sizes/scales into its native resolution of 800x600. That's where the Sony LCD could be better for more resolution and pixels on the big screen, at least you'll get 720p native.

I can't comment on differences between DLP and LCD, I guess if the Infocus is at a really cheap price it could be worth it for sure.

that's my very newly opinion, still 1 week of projector experience :p

Cheers

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Biddinger /forum/post/17052076

I have the x2 also, was trying to run it through my Onkyo receiver I just bought that has hdmi inputs and one out put that upconverts everything to hdmi. I would like to run it through my system but the x2 will not read it. But I can play it directly from my blu ray and it works fine by hdmi cable. Is it because it doesn't have an HDCP chip. I was told that was the reason. I am looking at changing it for an Infocus screen play 4805 with HDCP. Will that work with my Onkyo. I want to be able to have HD sound as well. That is why I want to run HDMI cables. Any help in the matter would be great.

Can you run any other outputs from the receiver? try hooking the receiver to the projector using a different output like S-video or somthing and change the output resolution the onkyo can send at. I read some of these HDMI receiver do some kind of upconverting so maybe its doing somthing that the projector cant handle.

I have an Infocus LP250 that can only run at certin resolutions and when i hooked it to my qam tuner i tried selecting 480, 720 and 1080 and it would only run at 780 threw the RGB port. Over 780 the screen went blank as if it lost the signal.

Maybe the receiver has some kind of an on screen display setup where you can turn upconverting on or off or somthing else? Just a thought you might try anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/12967771

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonofear /forum/post/17327440

well my guess says that it should accept HDMI with the M1>HDMI adapter, because my X3 accepts the M1>DVI and its also digital soo and X2 is similar...

well thats my theory anyhoo. Im using my xbox 360 with a cheap version ($10- non Microsoft) VGA xbox cable the into a female to female gender changer ($3-) then to the standard 15pin VGA>M1 cable that comes with the projector. If the hdmi option dose not work thats the alternate way, but it should.

this is my 3rd day with my X3 projector and sooooo in love with my new home cinema. Forza 3 demo looks awesome!!! :p

enjoy

Shono

It's not working!! Just keeps searching... and searching... and searching... Is it possible I need to manually adjust the settings on the XBOX to lower the HD output? Shouldn't the projector be stepping it down automatically?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If the 360 is trying to send a 1080p signal, that could be a problem. I don't think the PJ would know what to do with that. Set the 360 to 720 and see what you get.

I would think that using the HDMI to an X2 is kind of a waste anyway (over using component or VGA). The projector will do a good job of scaling down and displaying a pretty crisp picture in 480p, but you're most likely losing quality converting a digital signal anyway. To me it would make more sense to use a component converter and keep the signal analog.

Could be wrong though.....

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch1976 /forum/post/17387401

It's not working!! Just keeps searching... and searching... and searching... Is it possible I need to manually adjust the settings on the XBOX to lower the HD output? Shouldn't the projector be stepping it down automatically?

mmmmmm....

Well i know that my Infocus X3 projector will detect the xbox even with the settings at 1650x1050 pre set from using my 20 inch LCD monitor.

But I usually change it back to 1024x768 native res at 4:3 cause sum 1 said this would eliminate all lag possibilities.

What cable setup did you end up going with ?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/12907947

I know this is an older pj but I own it and can't spend any money as of now so with that in mind, I have a few questions.

I have ordered the M1 to component and M1 to HDMI converter cables. Do they work with HD cable boxes and upconversion DVD players? Or, do I have to buy any specific players?

The manual says the X2 is capable of 720p so if I feed 720p through an HD cable box or a DVD player, will I really get 720p in the 16:9 mode?

I am getting my Time Warner HD connection tomorrow so your answers will tremendously help me. Thanks.

I used a m1 to hdmi adaptor on my 4805...basically same machine. M1 is like DVI which does video only...no audio. I set my dvd player to output 480p so as to match the native rez of the pj. I used component from xbox 360 directly to pj as well and set xbox to output 720 which was downconverted to 480 when it reached pj...looked and worked fine. Btw... ran both video connections directly from their respective source and ran the audio from each to prepro. I use a harmony 880 remote for controlling everything.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutch1976 /forum/post/17324801

Hi all,

I am having a similar issue. I have recently purchased an XBOX 360 Elilte with HMDI out. I want to connect this to my Infocus X2 but I don't want to waste money on the cable if it isn't going to work. The XBOX 360 came with an HDMI cable however as you're aware there is no HDMI port on the infocus X2. Should this work if I purchase a HDMI to M1 adapter?

Thanks all.

YES...set xbox to 720p 16:9...enjoy. If the unit does not rec'v signal it is usually a handshake issue dealing with which unit was powered on first. I like to turn xbox on first and then pj...just a few seconds time difference. Or maybe it's the other way around. Try both...it will grab the signal. You can also use component(red.blue,green) as it will carry a hd signal to the x2 but either way it's going be output from pj at 480 which should be displayed for a second or two when signal connection is initially made. My 4805 looked fine in a dark room...sometimes depending on which game it was impressive considering 480 rez.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSP /forum/post/12907947

If you have eyeballs you should notice a clear improvement over composite even with component cables.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc /forum/post/17396217

YES...set xbox to 720p 16:9...enjoy. If the unit does not rec'v signal it is usually a handshake issue dealing with which unit was powered on first. I like to turn xbox on first and then pj...just a few seconds time difference. Or maybe it's the other way around. Try both...it will grab the signal. You can also use component(red.blue,green) as it will carry a hd signal to the x2 but either way it's going be output from pj at 480 which should be displayed for a second or two when signal connection is initially made. My 4805 looked fine in a dark room...sometimes depending on which game it was impressive considering 480 rez.

Got it working, but I gave up on HDMI in the end. It was just too hard switching resolutions because if I'm going to change resolutions on the XBOX using the projector I'd have to set it up using the composite cables first, then make the change, then change to HDMI and test to see if it work, then repeat the whole process if it didn't.

It may be possible to have success converting HDMI to M1 using on the X2 but I just don't have the patience. I ordered some incredibly cheap component male to M1 male and then just bought some really cheap component male to female adapters, and finally calbed it up to the XBOX using the component cables switched the HDTV which finally worked (whew).

As you were saying it steps the resolution down to 480 (is it p or i?) but at least it finally works after all that money I spent on various adapters.

I guess the next thing I could do is to buy a new receiver that has an HDMI In and component out... but if I'm going to blow all that money maybe I should just put it towards a new projector? In any case, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
glad u found a working solution in the end, was wondering why you need a new AV receiver though, o wait, just realized what you are trying to achieve.

are u still using the optical audio out from the xbox 360 to receiver ?

and ya PJ would be using 480p.

only wish that the xbox was a better media player though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts