AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm hoping to find some information on the various televisions made. (plasma, CRT projection etc.) I took delivery of my Gateway 42 inch plasma but I think i'm going to return it. The problem i have is with the picture quality, it seems to have a screen door effect that I just cant take. As of right now my TV is wired via Video cables and optic cables for audio , granted that i am using by XBOX for DVD playback, the colors just don't look real on anything they seem hazy and out of contrast. ( i've tried playing with the settings for hours and it just not a sharp detailed image ) .

My main goal of this thread is to get as much information on plasma TVs and hope to hear that they are superior to any other types , but if not I would like to know what the best TV for picture quality is . Keep in mind my set up ,the XBOX and sat receiver both plug up to my Denon 2802 via s video cables and while the DVD playback is OK at best the satellite just looks horrible (almost like watching a 80s movie all the time )

I have been reading about the Panasonic units on the forums and they seem to be a favorite . My problems is that I'm looking at the below specs and don't know what to compare to the panny contrast ratio? brightness?

native pixels? or the size of the pixel? Also.. I'm not sure if I should be looking at the HD for future use( as of right now I don't have any HD hardware) but if i get the HD unit and not have a HD signal going to it at all times will i still get a good picture .. seems like my 27inch magnavox tv ($200) out did the gateway in terms of PQ with ease . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Here are the specs and a link for the Gateway 42 inch plasma

:D

Key Features

Diagonal 42-inch Screen Size

16:9 Wide Aspect Ratio

852 x 480 native pixel with progressive scan

600:1 Contrast Ratio

570 cd/m2 Brightness

Integrated Tuner and Speakers

HDTV Signal Compatible

160 Degree viewing angle

Connector Types

RCA jacks for audio, video, Y/Cb/Cr and Y/Pb/Pr

6 pin DIN S-Terminal for S Video

9 pin D-SUB for RS232

15 pin D-SUB for RGB

24 pin DVI

Audio/Video Inputs/Outputs

1 Composite Video

1 S Video

2 Component Video

1 DVI video input

1 RGB input

6 Audio In ( L/R )

1 Audio Output ( L/R )

1 Subwoofer output
GATEWAY SPEC LINK

·
Registered
698 Posts
JJ,

My panny plasma is crystal clear on dvd,almost 3d(hooked up via component cable).Sat looks extremely good on most channels especially HBOhd and HDNET(hooked up via component cable).Keep in mind I have a HD sat receiver too.I don't think the gateway plasma is that good.When I saw it it was really grainy.The gateway plasma is your first problem(If I were you I'd consider the panny sd or hd or the pio 503cmx from dell for $5089 from dell,I saw a thread on the board tonight for this price...incredible for a 50" hd plasma!!!).2nd problem xbox.You need to get a good dvd player.3rd problem may be s-video cables.Component cables give a better picture(some people dispute this).4th problem....sat receiver(maybe).What kind of receiver do you have?You may have to revamp your whole setup,I did and I'm in heaven. bm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the gateway is going back.. and I will be ordering from dell once I get credited :D but as for the components , i'ts a RCA sat receiver i'ts just as regular one and has no component outs, how much does a HD receiver cost? Also the dvd player is coming as a Christmas present :D (maybe i"ll just get a HD sat receiver first ) now should I get the hd model of the panny or the regaler one.. will I tell the differance even though I'm not watching a HD channel? or just on HD ? So my main questions are will the reception be as good on a HD Panny model if I run NON hd hardware as it would on the NON hd Panny . Sorry for all the questions batman and others I appreciate your help .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
JJ --

I'm afraid that you suffering from the old "gargage in, garbage out" phenomenon. The Panny should look fanstastic but its PQ will also be affected by poor quality inputs.

You can get an HD DirecTV receiver from about $400 (Hughes E-86...) up to about $700 (Sony HD200...). If you end up getting a new DVD player, try and get one with "progressive scan". You might also see an improvement if you get the $30 HD component cable set for the Xbox. I did this for my son's Xbox and now I have to fight him for the controls to the plasma! :)

Have you considered OTA HD reception? All of the HD DirecTV receivers have built-in ATSC digital tuners and the PQ for SD content is much better than the highly-compressed sat channels and HD content is just stunning.

Good luck!

-- Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with garbage input comment. I have yet to read any threads of the Gateway fed with a progressive DVD, componet HDTV input or even a quality DTV feed. The most expensive plasma made still underwhelms when fed with poor analog NTSC or a tinker toy DVD player thats why all electronic stores use HDNET feeds to all the plasmas. If Gateway didn't have to pimp the weak Bose DVD, and fed HDNET at all their stores I think these threads might be quite different.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I was thinking along those lines also. I wonder what a Gateway looks like when it's properly set up and fed a good signal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
jj,

You mentioned at the top of this thread that you're annoyed by the "screen door effect" on the gateway unit. How far away do you sit from the set? Some are more sensitive than others to the lower resolution SD units (whether from gateway, panny or anyone else). I would suggest that you get a good look at both SD and HD units on an SD feed before you order one or the other.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There's no question that the screen door effect is much worse on the SD panel. You will likely be happier with the HD model if you are sensitive to the screen door. But Reno is right, you really gotta look at them both to know for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.