Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Well I have decided to turn a room downstairs into a HT. All that this HT will be used for is movies and games (ps2, gc, and xbox). Now I've already decided on the audio system which will run me about $5000 (CDN) Now I am looking for a projector.

Now I haven't really looked for one but I have been doing research and have some questions. The screen size I am looking at is about 90" (w/s of course :) it may be larger but that is the minimum )

1. Which is the better way to go LCD or DLP?

2. Which projector do you guys recommend?

3. Do any of you have a game console hooked up and if so what is it like?

4. Some people have told me it is mandatory if you are going to play a game console you will need a scaler otherwise wont work, won't look as good as on a regular TV etc.

5. If I am in the market for a Widescreen projector. Would the consoles also be stretched to widescreen or can they still be displayed in 4:3

Since my HT is going to be used for gaming as well my concerns are more with gaming as shown above. So any help and any light you guys can shed for me would be great

·
Registered
446 Posts
1. Which is the better way to go LCD or DLP?

THERE IS NO BETTER. BOTH HAVE TRADE-OFFS.

DLP HEADACHES RAINBOWS VS. LCD CONTRAST AND SCREENDOOR IS THE BIG BATTLE.

THERE ARE MANY MORE LOW COST LCD HT PJ'S HOWEVER.

2. Which projector do you guys recommend?

WHAT IS YOUR PRICE RANGE?

3. Do any of you have a game console hooked up and if so what is it like?

XBOX USING THE HI-DEF (COMPONENT) VIDEO KIT LOOKS GREAT TO ME.

480P OUT OR BETTER.

4. Some people have told me it is mandatory if you are going to play a game console you will need a scaler otherwise wont work, won't look as good as on a regular TV etc.

NOT WITH XBOX IMHO. EVEN 4:3 GAMES SUCH AS MECHASSAULT LOOK GOOD WHEN STRETCHED TO 16:9 IMHO.

DEAD OR ALIVE 3 WHICH SUPPORTS 16:9 LOOKS FANTASTIC.

5. If I am in the market for a Widescreen projector. Would the consoles also be stretched to widescreen or can they still be displayed in 4:3

THEY CAN STILL BE DISPLAYED IN 4:3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I put my price range my mistake

I'd like to keep it under $5000 CDN if I can (I'm hopping that is possible)

As for my Xbox it will most definitely be hooked up using the High Def pack

·
Registered
446 Posts
How far away from the screen can the pj be?

If only 10' or less then you'll want a pj with a short throw ratio in order to achieve the 90" screen.

Will you have light control? Any pj 700 lumens or less will require light control which boils down to just a little ambient light during play. Pretty near dark.

Have you seen FP before? Many here are more than willing to demo their setups.

The Sanyo PLV Z1/Studio Experience 1HD sounds like a great short throw pj for light controlled rooms. I've never seen it but there is plenty of chatter on this forum about it. It's a LCD which I'm partial to.

Another good place to help figure all this out is www.projectorcentral.com

Check it out!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Screendoor was a problem on LCD projectors until the AE300 came around. If screendoor is an issue for you, get an AE300 - it is as simple as that :). Heck, I'll even add that the AE300 with it's good contrast (spec 800:1 ) has kind of removed that as a big issue too. This is one heck of a projector...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the PJ at a minimum will be about 10' away. At this time I don't have the measurements of the room but I'll post it later

As for light control, I will be able to control the light in the room. The only window in the room will be taken out. So the only light in the room will be the track lighting I'm installing on a remote dimmer switch. But even with light control it's perfect for me (I love watching movies with the lights out) but some family and friends would like some light (not much but a little) when watching movies or playing games.

When I was getting the price for my audio equipment, the place I went to also has FP systems. At the time I was not really looking for them but when I watched Spiderman on one of their demo dlp pj's I was amazed and knew my original idea of an RPTV just went out the window. But I didn't ask any questions or anything at the time :(

Now one question I had, am I able to get a screen (I'm not a big DIY person) that is not a pull down? So far most of the screens I saw are pull down ones and since the screen is going to remain stationary (no need for it to be pulled up or down) I was hoping I'd be able to get a screen completly stationary

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
On a side note, do yourself a favor an do a search/read up on interference problems with dimmer switches for track lighting in regards to home theater rooms.

If I remember correctly, I have read about 3 different instances where dimmed track lighting had caused anomolies in the form of "tracking lines" from ceiling mounted projectors.

I'll try to dig up the specifics and post ...

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
There is no correct answer on whihc is better- DLP or LCD. It is a matter of personal taste. Simple as that. Anyone who says otherwise is blowing smoke up your ass.

The xbox will look great on any projector you buy. Xbox on my ae100 looks just as good as it did on a RPTV HDTV i was using before. PS2 is not so good but still alright i guess.

You can display 4:3 material without any stretching on a 16:9 projector. just select the 4:3 screen mode that they all have and it'll display the material in the middle of the screen.

I have the ae100 and have clocked in 785 hours on it. It has been a wonderful little projector for me. I watch mainly dvds and play xbox on it.

Recently, I purchased the sanyo z1 and that is going to be my new projector once I get the ceiling mount for it. I have testd it out with a wide range of dvd clips and it is quite a bit better than the ae100. The main reason is because of the higher contrast ratio. It gives the image MUCH better blacks, a more 3D look and MUCH better shadow detail. The colour reproduction also is slighlty better than the AE100. Basically, the z1 is much more CRT like. I have yet to try out the xbox on it but I will the day I get the mount and install the projector.

·
Registered
446 Posts
NightStalker - "I watched Spiderman on one of their demo dlp pj's"

My advice...go back and watch the dlp for about an hour if you can.

Take family too. If you get headaches/eye strain or see distracting rainbows then rule out DLP. You must also consider potential guests if you're planning on hosting viewings. I went LCD for that reason alone even though I've never seen a DLP except for 10 minutes in a showroom.

I'm guessing that you were watching a Sharp 9000 DLP which is high end AND DEALERS LOVE THEM!

I have no experience with DLP so here is my LCD short list for you in no particular order...

Sharp PLV-Z1 aka Studio Experience 1HD (US now)

Panasonic AE300 (Japan grey market or US in January)

Sony VPL HS-10 (Japan grey market)

Warranties can differ wildly so if that's important to you...consider that heavily.

That's pretty much all I can contribute to this thread!

Oh...fixed wall screens are readily available. Da-lite makes some nice ones.

Now you'll have to debate white vs grey screen!

I just use a white wall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be going back to watch that DLP in the next few days. The dealer allows us to bring our own DVDs to watch as well they have a wide selection. Because of this what DVD would be best to watch on a DLP to see if headaches or rainbow effect is present?

So the AE300 is being released in January you wouldn't happen to know the MSRP would you?

Well now at least when I go and look at projectors I'm not going to look stupid but please keep all your opinions coming :)

As for Da-lite I have been debating whether to get a da-lite or Stewart screen? From what I have read they say that if you are going with a digital projector to us a grey screen. Does one color outperform the other?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try to bring a DVD with fast motion and light to dark changes. "Gladiator" or "Xmen" are both good choices. "Spiderman" was not a great DVD transfer although it's a great flick.

$2500 MSRP for the AE300...street price around $2000.

With the 700-900 lumen pj set a light grey screen can help with perceived contrast (blacks look darker...better shadow detail). The Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen has been very popular here...check out the Screens forum here as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.