AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recently re-arranged my entertainment room and changed from a 2.0 speaker setup to sound bar.

I had the opportunity to test out two different sound bars, one being the Sony HT-ST7, and the other one is Yamaha YSP-3300.

I just started this tonight so can't say much about it, but here are some of my first impressions.

Sound:

The Yamaha does a better job simulating the surround sound effect, but the sound quality itself is not as good as the Sony.

Sony's sound feels more bold, crispy, and full. Yamaha's sound doesn't feel as full and bold as Sony's, but they are more strategically directed to simulate the surround effect. The speakers in the Sony are larger than the Yamaha's, but there are less speakers in the sound bar.

I think there are more tweaking options on the Yamaha, but not on the Sony.

Surround sound effect: Yamaha wins

Sound quality: Sony wins

Design:

The Yamaha YSP have a gap below the sound bar so it won't interfere some of the larger TV stands. This is a great design and I wish Sony could do something like that. Even with the stand the Sony's doesn't provide nearly enough clearance for TV stand.

Yamaha is more sleekly designed, while the Sony feels more industrial. Both appear to be well made, but I like Sony's finish better. I think the Sony is heavier than the Yamaha.

The Yamaha design is more clever, more convenient, and goes well with a lot of TVs. The Sony feels really really solid, more industrial, more superior, but it may look out of place depends on your TV setup.

I would say it's a draw when it comes to design and look, but I would pick the Yamaha over Sony because of the TV stand clearance.

Control and connection:

Yamaha have one more HDMI input, and the HDMI connectors are better placed than Sony's.

Yamaha 4 in 1 out, Sony 3 in 1 out. Both have a small display on them but the Yamaha one provides more information.

I can plug the HDMI cable into the Yamaha straight and run the wires behind the sound bar/TV, but Sony's HDMI ports are 90 degree ones, which I have to bend the cables and harder to plug/unplug.

Both have basic control buttons on them.

Sony have built-in bluetooth and Yamaha requires an optional adapter.

I would rate the Yamaha above Sony in this round, unless BT is something extremely important to you.

Price:

Yamaha YSP-3300, MSRP $1599, street price, as low as $1000 new.

Sony HT-ST7, MSRP $1299, street price, as low as $1000 new.

IMO the Yamaha's MSRP is too high, around $1299 is probably the right MSRP for both. But please, do not pay MSRP for these, are they worth $1K? MAYBE, depends on what you are looking for, but no way I would pay $1300 for either one.

Overall, I'm liking the Yamaha over Sony at this moment, but it really depends on what you are looking for. Superior exterior design and sound quality, SONY. Convenient, easy to use, and better sound sound effect, Yamaha.

I will report back in a day or two for a quick update.

·
Registered
49 Posts
looking forward to the "after the initial hype" feedback!

also, i find that although the yamaha sound doesn't sound as full or bright as some of the sony gear, its just flatter response... where the sony's seem to be dialed in like looking at an LED at bestbuy where they are on 100% brightness and backlight.

its not a breaking-in issue, its more that your ears have to get used to it, type of issue...

let us know, i could be (and probably) totally wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno92  /t/1523233/some-quick-impression-of-the-sony-ht-st7-and-yamaha-ysp-3300#post_24502156

looking forward to the "after the initial hype" feedback!

also, i find that although the yamaha sound doesn't sound as full or bright as some of the sony gear, its just flatter response... where the sony's seem to be dialed in like looking at an LED at bestbuy where they are on 100% brightness and backlight.

its not a breaking-in issue, its more that your ears have to get used to it, type of issue...

let us know, i could be (and probably) totally wrong.

Since I don't have a measurement device it's hard to match the actual volume of both sound bar and test them at the same volume level, so I can only go with my feelings. I agree with you that the Sony sounds more bright or full, but the sound channels are not distributed nearly as well as the Yamaha.

Listening to the Sony is like, getting hit straight in the face by a rich wave of sound, it's full, bright, and bold, but it's missing something. While the Yamaha doesn't pack the punch like Sony, but all the sounds are hitting you from the right direction.

And one other thing, I have compared the Yamaha and Sony's wattage.

Sony HT-ST7: 450w total, 7 x 50w speakers, 100w sub.

Yamaha YSP-3300: 262w total, 16 x 2w beam(small) speakers, 2 x 50w woofer, 130w sub.

Yamaha YSP-4300: 324w total, 22 x 2w beam speakers, 2 x 75w woofer, 130w sub.

The Sony's setup is considerably more powerful than the Yamaha's, and more concentrated at the same time, which could explain the fullness and boldness of the Sony. The Yamaha is less powerful and more scattered, allowing the sound beams to hit you from all direction. I am a newbie in audio equipment and don't know much it's suppose to work, but that's my theory right there. (But at the same time, I think a lot of Sony gears have high wattage rating)

I suspect that if you have a pretty average 2.0 or 2.1 setup like I did before, you will be impressed by the Sony's fullness and boldness, it packs a powerful punch, but that's about it.

The Yamaha, while doesn't offer real 5.1 or 7.1 experience, it does a great job simulating it, and if you are not used to a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup, it can fool your ears pretty well. I think if Yamaha makes a YSP-5300 and bump the beam drivers to 10w each, and keep about 16-22 of them, it should be golden, lol.

·
Banned
431 Posts
I haven't listened to that model Sony when I was trying these out but the sound bars with bigger speakers tend to have a more fuller sound. The Yamaha 5100 was a big step up from the 4300 with much fuller sound. Also, you could use a nicer sub and not the included Yamaha one. That made a big improvement as well. The Yamaha YSP models did have the best surround effects of any I tested, the Sonos being second. I hope Yamaha makes a 5300 but I imagine the 5100 didn't sell too well due to its larger size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1523233/some-quick-impression-of-the-sony-ht-st7-and-yamaha-ysp-3300#post_24506540

I haven't listened to that model Sony when I was trying these out but the sound bars with bigger speakers tend to have a more fuller sound. The Yamaha 5100 was a big step up from the 4300 with much fuller sound. Also, you could use a nicer sub and not the included Yamaha one. That made a big improvement as well. The Yamaha YSP models did have the best surround effects of any I tested, the Sonos being second. I hope Yamaha makes a 5300 but I imagine the 5100 didn't sell too well due to its larger size.

I have heard great things about the Sonos, but my TV is the Pioneer KRP-500M, which doesn't do a lot of audio decoding and other fancy stuff, so I need the sound bar to act as an HDMI hub/receiver as well, and the Sonos simply doesn't do that like the YSP.

The YSP 5100 is another sound bar I have seen good reviews about, but it's hard to find and expensive, and I never got a chance to listen to one, but being a Yamaha YSP-5 series, I'm sure it won't disappoint. And I think price may be another factor that caused the less than desirable sales number with the 5100, the MSRP was over 2K, I don't know how much people would be willing to pay nearly 2K for a sound bar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts