AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What surround mode are you guys using for DirecTV, cable, aka television watching?

2. I have my ReplayTV digital out via optical to the receiver. When I switch to it, it says UNLOCK on the OSD. What does "Unlock" mean?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Use whatever you like, but people would generally stick with Logic7 Cinema or Pro-Logic II Movie.

Unlock basically just means that the receiver is temporarily not receiving any signal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For (1), I'm probably using some form of Logic 7 with my AVR7200, but you have to experiment to see which of the many modes you prefer.

For (2), I have no idea. Did you check the manual?

-David

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks like Megalith got it. I looked at your manual and it didn't say anything.

You have to configure your replay tv box to actually use the digital out. At least that what it sounds like to me. I had to do that with my cable box.

-David

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I searched the entire manual and there is no mention of the word UNLOCK whatsoever.

I think that makes sense though. I cannot configure my Replay to use optical because I don't need to. As far as I can tell, it just outputs to all ports. It's only the input that you need to choose. I know sound works because when I am playing a show or watching live TV, there is audio. It only displays UNLOCK on menus, which makes sense.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, thanks for the help with question 1. I realize that it is an personal preference thing. I just wanted to get an idea of what the community liked.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
most people like logic 7 music for music...and PLII for movies/TV. At least that seems to be the general consensus, and I agree.

BTW this is rleemhui that you talked to on Anandtech.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rleemhui - Please answer my component question!!!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Thanks for the explanation. I searched the entire manual and there is no mention of the word UNLOCK whatsoever.

I think that makes sense though. I cannot configure my Replay to use optical because I don't need to. As far as I can tell, it just outputs to all ports. It's only the input that you need to choose. I know sound works because when I am playing a show or watching live TV, there is audio. It only displays UNLOCK on menus, which makes sense.

UNLOCK means that the DSP surround processor is not receiving a digital audio stream..

Once it does receive an active digital stream, the display will identify the format (Dolby Digital or DTS or PCM) as well as the channel configuration such as 2.0 for stereo or 5.1 multi-channel surround...

Then you must decide How you want to play it back.. as 5.1.. 7.1..

The AVR will auto-select this but the HK provides other options(such as Logic 7) and many users like to select these manually as well..

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
rleemhui - Please answer my component question!!!
Keep in mind I have the 435 so I don't have the component problem with OSD because I use it over S-video cable. I can take a stab at it though.

My guess is that any signal being transcoded to component(or any device connected via component) will override the OSD.

So my guess is that in order to see the OSD you will need to shut off these devices that are actively sending out a component signal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh sorry, I meant my other component question. About how you are forced to choose a component source even if your source does not use component. I posted it over at ATOT.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
While I also don't run into a problem here, I would say set the ones that don't use component to the DVD player. I would do this because(at least for me) the DVD player is not on unless I am using it. So it wouldn't interfere with the device I was trying to use. Maybe M CODE can give you a better tip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Oh sorry, I meant my other component question. About how you are forced to choose a component source even if your source does not use component. I posted it over at ATOT.
I had this problem initially setting up my 635. If you've got an analog device on s-vid 3 or composite 3, for example, choose component 3 in the setup menu (confusing, yes, seeing as the devise is not component).

Make sense? If you don't understand I can explain a little better...it's getting a little late and the old noggin don't work so well after a long day of work and chasing kids :) .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, please explain. That explanation makes sense if there was a Component 3. For example: I have ReplayTV plugged into Video 1 (S-Video) but an X-Box plugged into Component 1. I can't choose Component 1 for Video 1 since that is being used by the X-Box.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Think of it as input 1, 2 and 3. Input 1 is comprised of one s-vid, one composite and one component, only one of which can be used at a time. In your case, plug the replay into s-vid 1 and choose "component 1" in the osd. Then plug the x box into component 2 and select "component 2" in the osd. Then you can custom label the inputs 1 and 2 "XBOX", "Replay" or whatever you choose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that works. But what happens when you reach Video 3 and Video 4 to which there is no associated Component? There is no such thing as Component 3 and 4.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish there was a more sure answer than that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess that's a good point. But don't you think it's silly that for every Video source, they force you to choose a component? That's really the crux of my question. I don't see why this is needed and I've demonstrated how it's actually a con.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.