AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right I am looking to buy a receiver for my bedroom. I have the speakers already which I bought on my own. They are Onkyos SKS-HT500 speaker set and are rated at 100 watts each and an 8 inch 150 watt sub. I didn’t buy the package deal that came with the SR-500 receiver because I didn’t have the funds. My parents though want to buy me a receiver for Christmas. I have listened the Onkyo SR-500 which was awesome but a little underpowered, the Sony STR-885 which by the way wasn’t that good and a Yamaha model for 200 I think it was a Yamaha RXV430 that sound just as good as the Onkyo and had a little more power but the hookups were better on the Onkyo. Are the Yamaha RX430 and HTR-5540 the same basically? I need something that has good sound quality to fill a small room. I am going to use it 80 percent of the time probably for music and 20 percent of the time for home theater. I at least want Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Prologic 2. 6 and 7 channel sound don’t really appeal to me because of the size of my room and I am not planning to upgrade my speakers for a few years. My budget here is 350 max. That is with shipping and tax. Can’t go over that. I would like to buy from an authorized dealer if I get a Yamaha or Denon or something along those lines because of the warranty issue and also need something reliable and easy to use. Right now I just have a DVD changer and a TV with no S-Video or component out. So having a huge amount of inputs really is not needed for me. Having some would be nice though. These are the models I have came across so far. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks.

1.Yamaha HTR-5540 or HTR-5555(has more outputs and seems like a better receiver, I can get it for 350 online, authorized dealer but no more powerful than the HTR-5540.

2. Panasonic SAHE100K or SA-HE200(if I can find it for 350 with shipping)– Have not listened to Panasonic but sound and vision gave it a good review. 1 year warranty(I would probably go unauthorized since the warranty is only a year) and is Panasonic a reliable brand for audio? Have also heard it isn’t easy to use.

3. Pioneer VSXD811S – High distortion. Have heard mixed reviews, has a lot of bells and whistles I may never use. Unsure about reliability.

4. JVC RX8020VBK – Have not heard anything by JVC either. Claims 120 watts to 2 channels.

Like I have said this is what I have limited it down to. I don’t really like the Kenwood or Sony receivers because of looks and basically do not like the interface of the Kenwood and I have had Sony in the past so I want something different. Christmas is coming up and I am really confused on what to get. We live in a small town so most of the stuff I mentioned will have to go off opinions and reviews. Thanks again guys.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.