AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I was going to patch three 120GB drives for use in some 5040's. The first drive patched without any problems. However, the second and third drives both had errors after the prompt regarding the photo partition. The messages for the final drive looked something like this:

***** Clearing volume sequence block...

Partition 2 cluster size was 0 bytes.

*** ERROR: Invalid cluster size for partition 2

The error messages for the second drive were similar, except it had

Partition 2 cluster size was -1 bytes.

Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Roy

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
These are new drives?

Partition 2 is the MPEG partition, so I'd think that the partition size should be as large as possible (you can't set this).

Are you trying to create a photo partition? I'd suggest against doing the photo parition this way. I'd opt for the 382-zone restore factory default after installing the patched drive and create the photo parition during setup.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rjj
The first drive patched without any problems. However, the second and third drives both had errors after the prompt regarding the photo partition.
Not sure it matters, but which version of RTVPatch? You should be able to manipulate the photo partition in RTVPatch without errors, unless there is some problem with the drive itself. Just an FYI....I just encountered two brand new defective Maxtor drives. After both failed at some point in RTVPatch, I found neither would pass the Maxtor PowerMax testing. So my next step with your drives would the advanced test and then the low level format in PowerMax.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Sounds like the source drive system partition (disk image) is incomplete or some other file is loaded by mistake. Make sure your source drive boots then perform the upgrade again. If the problem continues use a different PC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. In answer to some of these questions.....

Jeff D - Yes, these are brand new Western Digital drives. Regarding the photo partition, I am merely answering the prompt "yes," as suggested in the documentation for "Replay 4000/4500/500 disk image from windows drive to replay drive using Linux Boot Disk."

I8er - Not exactly sure with version I used. It's one which I still had on my PC from a patch I did a few months ago. I didn't really do any manipulation of the photo partition, other than answering the prompt. I do recall that there was some message earlier indicating that the photo partition was going to be 953MB.

Mikeyboy - There is no source drive....I was using the RPTV110BU.rtv file, which I had copied to the root of a Windows drive. Keep in mind that the first drive patched with no problem.

Roy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rjj
Thanks for the responses guys. In answer to some of these questions.....

Mikeyboy - There is no source drive....I was using the RPTV110BU.rtv file, which I had copied to the root of a Windows drive. Keep in mind that the first drive patched with no problem.

Roy
You created the backup, OK. Make sure the image you created is approx 510 megs in size so it contains partition 2 information. Most likely you dropped one of the zero's from the mirroring script. Example 51000 instead of 510000

\\dd if=/windrive/replayXXX.rtv of=/dev/hdc bs=1024 count=510000

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikeyboy,

I have attempted this with the same result at least five times....it's possible that I mis-keyed the 510000 once, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't mis-key it each time.

I8er,

I have run the WD extended diagnostics on one of these drives....no errors.

Roy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys, I think I solved my immediate problem, but maybe some of the deep thinkers out there can explain why and how.......

I remembered that when I did the patch the first time (for the drive that worked), I had initially mis-interpreted one of the instructions (one having to do with cluster size), and gave the response that was appropriate for the older generation of ReplayTV's. I then re-ran the patch providing the correct response.

When I followed this same approach with one of the drives whose patch kept failing, it worked fine.

Roy

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you select 'yes' for the large cluster option it completely reformats the MPEG partition, so it will work even if the drive is blank. If you select 'no' it just changes the already existing partition format.

What probably happened is your source image was incomplete, or the copy was too short. If this is the case, the drives probably won't work unless you are really lucky. You should go back and make sure you have a complete source image (>500MB) and repeat the patches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.