AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nailing down my gamma adjustments and re-setting my D6500 tracking, the image is finally where I am really happy with it. Focus seems to be spot on in all areas of my Wilsonart "Designer White" 90" wide 1:85:1 A/R screen so I decided to pop in some of our favorite HD-DVD's "King Kong" and U571 and take a few screen shots. The camera used was a Canon 20d 8mp dslr in auto white balance mode with a Nikon 35-100mm Nikkor lens.


Eqpt used: Toshiba XA-2 HD-DVD player (Source) output 1080i via DVI to Lumagen


Lumagen HDQ Video Processor output 1080P @ 60hz output via DVI to Sony G90.




I had to manually focus the camera so I had to discard quite a few shots. I downsized the images to 1024 * 768 to make it more managable to upload.


All comments are appreciated.


King Kong HD-DVD










U571 HD-DVD








Cyndi Lauper "Soundstage"

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I was seriously consdering going digital but when the 90 came up out of the blue I simply could not refuse!!



The only thing that I did not expect was how HUGE this projector is!! I had a NEC XG-135LC that was hanging in the same spot for the last 7 years and I thought how much bigger can the 90 be.. Well, good thing for me that it is up high and somewhat out of the way but this sucker is big AND HEAVY!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Feldman /forum/post/0


Toshiba XA-2 HD-DVD player (Source) output 1080i via DVI to Lumagen


Lumagen HDQ Video Processor output 1080P @ 60hz output via DVI to Sony G90.

Looks great, Brian!


Which option are you using for DVI input?


Have you tried the XA2 directly into the G90 at 1080P by using a HDMI-DVI cable instead of through the Lumagen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Antorsae.. All of the adjustments to the proj were done in either the Service menu or "Expert" menu. This projector has the best focusing/astig adjustments that I have ever seen.



Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae /forum/post/0


Brian,


Those looks amazing! Did you have to do any magnetics adjustment on the G90 or are those not really required in a G90?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Clarence,


I am using John's DVI input with HDCP support. Card works great and installation was easy.


I once tried to connect the output of the XA-2 HD DVD player directly to the G90 and it worked perfectly. This was in fact the only way that I was able to get the XA-2 to ouput 1080p as the Lumagen will not take 1080P @ 60hz.


Currently I am sending 1080i to the Lumagen and outputting 1080p @ 60hz for all of my sources.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence /forum/post/0


Looks great, Brian!


Which option are you using for DVI input?


Have you tried the XA2 directly into the G90 at 1080P by using a HDMI-DVI cable instead of through the Lumagen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Gary,


I first had a NEC XG-135 Air coupled lenses back in 97 and then bought a brand new 135LC from Alan @AVS in 2000. I have ONLY owned this one projector all this time and I never felt the need to upgrade. After 7 years of owning the same projector I wanted a change and was strongly considering going with either a Sim 2 HT-3000 or even perhaps the RS1. When a friend of mine had a brand new in the box G90 available and offered it to me I figured I would give it a try and see how it compared to my 135LC.


Being totally honest Gary the 135LC is a hell of a projector and I still much prefer the menu layout and memory structure of the NEC compared to the Sony. Also, replacement parts and getting the NEC fixed if something came up would be a cake walk for the NEC and probably not so for the Sony.


Saying all of that I can absolutely tell you that the G90's image is really in a different league. The focus is "TaK" sharp and the image literally jumps off the screen. Being that my screen is only 92" wide this projector throws out A LOT of light!! With the NEC, you could pump up the contrast but when you did the spot size would get noticably larger and the image would soften up.


If you are asking whether you would see a difference by going with a G90 vs the 135 I can tell you definatively without reservation, YES!! Wheter the difference is worth it is highly subjective and only you would be able to make that decision. for me it WAS worth the switch although I will still probably hang on to my NEC 135LC just in case....







Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0


Brian I own a NEC 1352LC, what would I gain going to the G90?
how much did you like the upgrade?



very very nice



-Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,079 Posts
Gary, I'm reasonably familiar with the G90 image, and very familiar with the XG LC.


For a PC desktop the G90 at 1080p is heaps sharper, particularly in the corners.


It is way, way, WAY brighter.


But on a small screen, with HD material, the XG is at least 80% as good.


With an 8"er you also get the option of running flicker free, judder free 1080i 96hz. With a 9"er the field lines will probably drive you nuts. So it's 1080p 48hz, which flickers, or 1080p 72hz, which is a big, big ask. (No, 60hz is not an option as it is not a multiple of the source).


But, on your 2.35:1 864p setup, a G90 could do very well at 72hz.


XG parts are everywhere. G90's are almost unservicable, unless you are JohnWHman.


In some ways a G90 is a double edged sword. Better yes, but it could cut you one day..


Would I take one if someone gave me one? YES.

Would I pay ~8 times what I did for my XG LC (that's the going rate here). No.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Mark,


I would have to agree with most everything you said with the exception of this. Once you experience the next level of performance from a projector, it is hard to go back. The G90 is just that much sharper, punchier and has MUCH better shadow detail than the XG series. This is NOT to say that HD on the XG is not spectacular, it is but going to the 90 raises the bar to a much higher level.


Having said that I still will not get rid of my XG due to fear that if something broke in my Sony, it would probably be out of commission for a long time so it would be nice to have a back up!!



BTW, your assessment of how a computer looks on the screen is spot on!! On the 90 it is razor sharp and easy to read where on the NEC it does not quite have that "snap" at the higher resolutions.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/0


Gary, I'm reasonably familiar with the G90 image, and very familiar with the XG LC.


For a PC desktop the G90 at 1080p is heaps sharper, particularly in the corners.


It is way, way, WAY brighter.


But on a small screen, with HD material, the XG is at least 80% as good.


With an 8"er you also get the option of running flicker free, judder free 1080i 96hz. With a 9"er the field lines will probably drive you nuts. So it's 1080p 48hz, which flickers, or 1080p 72hz, which is a big, big ask. (No, 60hz is not an option as it is not a multiple of the source).


But, on your 2.35:1 864p setup, a G90 could do very well at 72hz.


XG parts are everywhere. G90's are almost unservicable, unless you are JohnWHman.


In some ways a G90 is a double edged sword. Better yes, but it could cut you one day..


Would I take one if someone gave me one? YES.

Would I pay ~8 times what I did for my XG LC (that's the going rate here). No.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Feldman /forum/post/0


Hello Mark,


I would have to agree with most everything you said with the exception of this. Once you experience the next level of performance from a projector, it is hard to go back. The G90 is just that much sharper, punchier and has MUCH better shadow detail than the XG series. This is NOT to say that HD on the XG is not spectacular, it is but going to the 90 raises the bar to a much higher level.


Having said that I still will not get rid of my XG due to fear that if something broke in my Sony, it would probably be out of commission for a long time so it would be nice to have a back up!!



BTW, your assessment of how a computer looks on the screen is spot on!! On the 90 it is razor sharp and easy to read where on the NEC it does not quite have that "snap" at the higher resolutions.

Brain,


Your smoking crack! The G90 Sucks Balls.



There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to stack G90's!
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top