AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a pair of subs for my home theater. I would like to use FI q18. 1 in each box. Can someone give me some advice on the build. I can build my own box. My mains are rf7ii and my room is gigantic and I mean huge.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
By huge what exactly do you mean? What are the dimensions?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xereau /forum/post/0

I would like to build a pair of subs for my home theater. I would like to use FI q18. 1 in each box. Can someone give me some advice on the build. I can build my own box. My mains are rf7ii and my room is gigantic and I mean huge.

Download and learn how to use winisd

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Yep, Q18s require LARGE boxes if you want a industry accept modeling Q value. That is why they are great IB choices.

Of course, people can build much smaller boxes, stuff them and EQ the system to a specific Q value. Its not that different period in terms of real SQ performance.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/20809939

Yep, Q18s require LARGE boxes if you want a industry accept modeling Q value. That is why they are great IB choices.

Of course, people can build much smaller boxes, stuff them and EQ the system to a specific Q value. Its not that different period in terms of real SQ performance.

This. Just like my RLp18's, the Q18's have a naturally higher Qts making them good for IB and large-ish sealed cabs.

I'd throw out some models but I don't know if the T/S specs I have are super accurate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that really stinks. Do y'all have a suggestion for a build then? I don't think I could get away with a 20 cubic ft box without being shot on sight by my girlfriend. I just want something that sounds fantastic and hits hard. I was going to buy 2 either 2 empires or 2 vtf15. But I just can not justify the 2 grand when I'm sure I can make something that's just as good for 1.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
xe,

what you need to ask for are called the "thiele small parameters". from there, there are enclosure modelling programs that can be used to predict response very well. if you want to learn the software, winisd is one option. or if you link them up, someone can run a model for you.

there are several versions of the driver that you mentioned and we aren't sure if the specs that we have are current.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't own the drivers. Was just a brand I had heard in a car and liked the way they sounded. I really like JL13w7 since I have owned it and it sounds amazing. But damn the price.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

Well that really stinks. Do y'all have a suggestion for a build then? I don't think I could get away with a 20 cubic ft box without being shot on sight by my girlfriend. I just want something that sounds fantastic and hits hard. I was going to buy 2 either 2 empires or 2 vtf15. But I just can not justify the 2 grand when I'm sure I can make something that's just as good for 1.

Go to parts express and start using winisd punching in parameters. That will give you an idea of cost to performance ratio. Once you learn what your doing you can start looking at other drivers and start contacting companies trying to figure out TS parameters. If and when you need help using winisd...just ask

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:

Should I be looking at a plate style amp or a rack style. I do not have an eq or anything like that.

Depends on the drivers and enclosures...most of the time it is cost effective to go with a pro amp although plates are easier to setup.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a guide on how to setup a sub EQ? I have never used one nor know what settings to use. Also thank you everyone that has been helping me. I really appreciate it y'all.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xereau /forum/post/20810974

20 cuft box is the default size for a specific Q.

What you need to do is model what the size box you can handle. Then you can buy some sort of EQing product ( Behringer DCX, MiniDSP, etc).

You could email fiCar audio too, I think Scott is still the man in charge and he will tell you all you need to know about the Q18s. You can ask him to change them to work better in HT, he can build the drivers with small differences that make them better for HT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.