AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I need some help with subwoofer placement. I've got a Hsu vtf3mk3 turbo, and I've got 3 spots in mind for the sub. Each space has just enough room to fit the sub with only a few inches of wiggle room. Now, I've read that corner placement and nearfield placement are best, but as you will see in the diagram, the nearfield placement is in a corner where the wall is just slightly longer than the sub itself (3 foot wall).

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...a22f0bbd2d.jpg

Would the nearfield choice be better than the corner choices considering that I have a small living room? The "main seat" is on the lovesac in the middle which would apparently be where a bass void might be, which makes me lean towards going for the nearfield choice, but I don't know much about any of that.

Ceilings are 10 feet high.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would try out all three possible locations and see which gives the best bass response.

The nearfield choice seems to be a central location compared to the two positions beside the display.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would my room be too small for it to even matter where the subwoofer was placed? I would prefer the nearfield placement for aesthetics. I guess my question should be, does it really matter where a subwoofer is in a room if youre right next to it? Would I be eliminating the bass void if I placed it right by me in the diagram?

My place is currently covered in av stuff, boxes, etc., so testing isnt really possible at the moment, I'm just looking for some advice and new knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you want to place it by the couch, give it a try. You might get some localization from that location.

You pretty much got to give them a try. Even the left/right placement in the front could produce different results.

It might be easier to place the sub in your primary listening position the crawl around to the three locations and listen for which area sounds better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts