AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had considered a few options with upgrading or replacing my old home theater components....

a question, first.....if speakers, specifically those from a panasonic HTIB, have sat unused for the majority of the last 3 years at least--what is the odds they aren't going to be much good to me?

Reason I ask, is I am considering one of several options

1-buy either a Harman Kardon AVR 135 or 235, and wire my old panasonic 5.1 speakers to it for the time being. 260 is more comfy for me than 350 right now, but odds are if I bought either reciever, I would not be able to put money into speakers for at least a year due to a new home purchase.

2-buy a highly regarded HTIB (I was checking out a samsung that is in the same model line as what my in-laws have, and I like it-also a highly rated panasonic Panasonic SC HT15)

My thought is, with the H/K, i would get a great reciever, but the speakers would be ish. and probably would be for a while, Mind you, they worked fine when I was in college and their sound was always acceptable, but my one concern is the years of no use will have weakened or damaged them, to the point where before long, a new, higher powered reciever would blow them out, and I wouldn't be able to replace....

But, for the same or similar money as the 135 (260ISH), I could buy a brand new, well reviewed HTIB system, and have new speakers to boot (plus warranty coverage)

the idea is that 350 is the absolute ceiling for this....and I would be a heckuva lot happier if I could stay under that-like, the 260 range for the reciever, or the HTIB, makes me quite happy

any thoughts or recommendations? Since I used and liked a HTIB before, perhaps I am better off with a newer/better one, and when budget truly permits, I can go all out?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
you get what you pay for, and for $350 you will get pretty much crap, no offence...

i say save your money, and use your tv speakers for now, until you have more money saved. than you can get something that you really want to get, until then you're just going to settle for something that you don't really want, only because of your low budget...

good things come to those that wait, and there are plenty of members here that would agree with that. if it wasn't for great sales that pop-up from time to time, half of the members here wouldn't own what they own now, myself included...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im ending up with a used harman kardon from a buddy of mine (avr 130...SOMETHING had to power the speakers....)

then ill save, and do it right....someday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.