AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is right forum to post in.

I bought me an LG 3d tv recently and I am really found of the ability to convert 2d to 3d. It gives a depth in the movie.
I have found some titles on Netflix that does not convert. I just wonder if any one know the reason why?
One of them are Cloverfield Paradox. My tv says. 3D is not available here. I have tried to ask LG but they say ask Netflix. And Netflix says ask LG.
In their commercials they say anything is convetrable.

Is it just LG tv or does anyone else have the same problem?

Peter

·
Registered
888 Posts
I hope this is right forum to post in.

I bought me an LG 3d tv recently and I am really found of the ability to convert 2d to 3d. It gives a depth in the movie.
I have found some titles on Netflix that does not convert. I just wonder if any one know the reason why?
One of them are Cloverfield Paradox. My tv says. 3D is not available here. I have tried to ask LG but they say ask Netflix. And Netflix says ask LG.
In their commercials they say anything is convetrable.

Is it just LG tv or does anyone else have the same problem?

Peter
my lg oled works done, I don't use the conversion, but it works on Amazon and hulu as well, not sure why it wouldn't work for you

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
O.K. here's what I think is going on. If the show is shown in DV or HDR and you're not using a separate UHD player then you're out of luck - the T.V.'s app won't let you convert to 3D! f you're using a player (the LG UHD player is now updated to DV so unless you change the resolution to 1080p you're out of luck). The Philips (it is not DV compatible) player will allow DV material to be converted to 3D even if the resolution is 4K. The Samsung allows 4K HDR material to be converted to 3D and remain in HDR mode. So there are ways to convert all material to 3D depending on the UHD player you use. If you have the LG UHD player do not update it to allow it to show DV material or you will lose 2D to 3D conversion unless you are willing to change the resolution to 1080p.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K. here's what I think is going on. If the show is shown in DV or HDR and you're not using a separate UHD player then you're out of luck - the T.V.'s app won't let you convert to 3D! f you're using a player (the LG UHD player is now updated to DV so unless you change the resolution to 1080p you're out of luck). The Philips (it is not DV compatible) player will allow DV material to be converted to 3D even if the resolution is 4K. The Samsung allows 4K HDR material to be converted to 3D and remain in HDR mode. So there are ways to convert all material to 3D depending on the UHD player you use. If you have the LG UHD player do not update it to allow it to show DV material or you will lose 2D to 3D conversion unless you are willing to change the resolution to 1080p.
Hi Deja Vu
Thanks for the reply even if I'm not sure if I understand it. What is the LG UHD player? Is it an app I can install? At the moment I just open Netflix and play movies. Don't think I'm using any app. Netflix is in the TV already. Maybe some app in the background is running. How do I change resolution in the TV?
If I stream the movie from my PC it works fine, but then i res 1080 as you say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my lg oled works done, I don't use the conversion, but it works on Amazon and hulu as well, not sure why it wouldn't work for you
How do you know it works if you don't use conversion? Did you try what I say with same movie at Netflix?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Hi Deja Vu
Thanks for the reply even if I'm not sure if I understand it. What is the LG UHD player? Is it an app I can install? At the moment I just open Netflix and play movies. Don't think I'm using any app. Netflix is in the TV already. Maybe some app in the background is running. How do I change resolution in the TV?
If I stream the movie from my PC it works fine, but then i res 1080 as you say.
If you use the TV's app (Netflix) you can convert 4K material into 3D. If its HDR or DV then my experience is that you cannot. If you use a separate UHD Blu-Ray player, which has the Netflix app, you can convert everything into 3D, including 4K HDR and DV material as long as the player strips out the DV metadata. The LG UHD player has just been upgraded by a firmware update that forces everything shown on Netflix into DV and 2D material cannot be converted to 3D. The Philips and Samsung players do not handle DV and can convert everything to 3D -- that's my experience. Bottom line is that some UHD players allow HDR material to be converted to 3D, which the T.V.'s Netflix app will not allow -- I have no idea why this would be the case. If you use the 1080p apple TV box then you don't have to worry about 4K, HDR or DV (just like your computer) and everything on Netflix can be converted to 3D.

Try these settings for the 2D to 3D conversion -- Point-of-view set to -5 or -6 and depth set to +12 to +15.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you use the TV's app (Netflix) you can convert 4K material into 3D. If its HDR or DV then my experience is that you cannot. If you use a separate UHD Blu-Ray player, which has the Netflix app, you can convert everything into 3D, including 4K HDR and DV material as long as the player strips out the DV metadata. The LG UHD player has just been upgraded by a firmware update that forces everything shown on Netflix into DV and 2D material cannot be converted to 3D. The Philips and Samsung players do not handle DV and can convert everything to 3D -- that's my experience. Bottom line is that some UHD players allow HDR material to be converted to 3D, which the T.V.'s Netflix app will not allow -- I have no idea why this would be the case. If you use the 1080p apple TV box then you don't have to worry about 4K, HDR or DV (just like your computer) and everything on Netflix can be converted to 3D.

Try these settings for the 2D to 3D conversion -- Point-of-view set to -5 or -6 and depth set to +12 to +15.
i have tried using conversion for 3d on my oled e6 and find it doesn't look right.i have tried every recommended setting by our the members.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i have tried using conversion for 3d on my oled e6 and find it doesn't look right.i have tried every recommended setting by our the members.
Yes the big problem I have with 2D to 3D auto conversion are the frequent depth errors where something in the background looks closer than something in the foreground, or vice-versa. For example I just tried it again in Star Trek II. In the scene with Kirk in his apartment, the bookcase against the wall behind him is presented as being closer to the viewer than Kirk, instead of behind Kirk. Some wall decorations which should be flat against the wall are presented as embedded a few inches deep "behind" the wall.

I will say that on any particular screen it is about 98% correct. I am amazed that an automatic process can be that good. But the 2% of content being very wrong are constantly distracting and annoying to me.

The 3D settings are irrelevant since they seem to be about the depth of the effect and where you are sitting, not about correcting errors like I described. I will say that Deja Vu's settings are pretty good for their intended purpose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts