AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get Time Warner Cable in upstate NY. They have just added a few new HD channels, but have indicated that some of them will not be able to be received by HD sets using a cablecard. They say it has to do with a different encoding of the HD signal for the channel (e.g. ESP2H).

My question:

Is this legal. I thought the FCC required a separation of security (access) from tuning, to allow competition among set top box manufacturers (e.g. tivo).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

Yep. I'd have a talk to a supervisor in customer service.

I don't know what other encoding other QAM they could possibly use.

I don't know either, but I definately don't get the ESPN channel that TWC said I wouldn't via the cablecard.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see
Post Standard Article

(Note regarding "lease one of Time Warner's high-definition digital cable boxes" from the article. HD boxes are available from TW at the same charge as a standard non-HD digital cable box).

I dont see how this is legal to deny cablecard users access to these channels. They do require a subscription, but there is no 2-way comunication needed. I pay $4.95/mo for the HD package.

By July, 2007, cable operators like TW are not allowed to deploy STBs without cablecards.

Comcast just had their petition for a waiver to continue to deploy STBs without cablecards beyond July, 2007, denied.

At a minimum, this seems to be TW thumbing their nose at the FCCs rules.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Switched Digital Video does require two way. Using technology that brings you more HD content, even though FCC rules can't keep up with the technology is thumbing their nose? Cablecard II will resolve this issue.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 /forum/post/0

At a minimum, this seems to be TW thumbing their nose at the FCCs rules.

Yep, but I'm not sure what can be done about it. TWC and other cable cos assume they can get away with it (due to low #s of CC users).

A message to the FCC or congressman might be in order.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster /forum/post/0

... Using technology that brings you more HD content, even though FCC rules can't keep up with the technology is thumbing their nose?

Yes, the intent of Congress is clear. Make an even playing field for those providing equiptment to receive cable. While the Cablecard II may allow compatibility, its not here now.

Net result: more people go with the cable providers integrated STBs. Then the cable companies argue that the public really doesn't want the cablecard, and lobby to eliminate it. If on the other hand, the cable companies are required to also use the cable card, then they have incentive to make it work. I've had 3 encounters with TWC personal regarding the cable card, and lets just say, all 3 didn't like dealing with it.

My TWC has 80 analog channels, over 130 SD digitals, and 14 HDs. I would much rather they eliminate the garbage on many SD digitals to make room for HD.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cable companies love to play these mindgames to make you think you need to rent their overpriced ugly cable boxes from them. All digital cable is QAM256/64 and the only thing that shouldn't come thru is VOD, PPV, and the programming guide. Even THAT will be fixed when CC2.0/OCAP/iDCR rolls out this year. So if TWC is telling you that some HD channels only work with the box, you can tell them you will be lodging a formal complaint with the FCC for failure to comply with mandated regulations.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedox /forum/post/0

... So if TWC is telling you that some HD channels only work with the box, you can tell them you will be lodging a formal complaint with the FCC for failure to comply with mandated regulations.

My suspicion is that they are not in violation because the programming is also available in SD digital and I can receive that with the Cablecard. But IMHO, there is no valid reason for them doing this. And it certainly is against the spirit of the legislation (i.e. no unfair advantage to the cable provider's STB).

Over the next few years, most of their programming is going to go HD. So they have a few choices to make. Among them, reduce the number of channels, or move analog channels to digital to make more room for more HD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.