AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to you guys and the ffdshow faq, I have gotten ffdshow working with the windvd filters, abstract filter and reclock 1.1

I am using resize, and then blur and NR (gradual denoise of 40). I have resize set to 1440 x 1152 and I was getting around 88% cpu usage which I was delighted with. Today when playing with the settings I saw the video beginning to stutter. I have spent the last few hours installing WinDVD, reclock and ffdshow and couldn't get the 100% cpu usage down. I had to use something like 1024x1024 to get under 100% cpu usage.

A few minutes ago I started playing again with ffdshow and was watching the cpu usage. When I enable Blur and NR (gradual denoise), the cpu usage went back down to 88%. For the life of me I can't work out why this should be. I moved Blur and NR back above resize, and the same, then back below.

Does anyone know why this is, and if you are getting 100% usage, I suggest you try denoise. This is with the latest alpha build of ffdshow.

One other thing I found was that using Lanczos resize method, some parts of the image have a blue area around them. I was testing on some dvd menus, star wars episode II menu actually, where the buttons for Play, Chapter Selection etc is. With lanczos (which some forum members prefer and which uses lots of cpu power), I can see a blue area around the text in Play. Look to the right of the Y in Play. I took a capture of the menu in WinDVD and zoomed in in paint.

When zoomed, there isn't the slighest hint of blue there so lanczos is doing a bad job of enhancing the image IMO. Bicubic and Experimental look pretty much identical to me and Experimental uses hardly any cpu power compared to the other two.

What do you guys think of Experimental?

If you are having problems with high cpu usage when trying to resize, I suggest you enable Blur and NR (Gradual Denoise only) and also try Experimental.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The latest ffdshow build has some whacky stuff going on.

For me, Lanczos was MUCH slower with the new build compared to the January build. It was stuttering like crazy.

I tried out SW Ep II and didn't see any blue halos. Now, I am using different decoders (Sonic via TT), and I am resizing to 1440x960 and displaying at 1920x1080i resolution.

It's possible that some combination of your display, decoder, and resize settings are causing the blue areas.

Just as an FYI, scaling to 1152 will cause some aliasing since it's not a nice multiple of 480. I don't know it that's causing the blue but you never know.

EDIT: Experimental looks pretty good. Overall I prefer Lanczos to it but not by much. Apparently the "official/theoretical" best resize algorithms are in order:

1. Sinc

2. Spline

3. Lanczos

4. Bicubic / Experimental

These are also listed in order of CPU usage from highest to lowest.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the menu is open, switch between lanczos and experimental, its hard to see but its there (well for me). I am PAL so I think 1440 x 1152 is correct. PAL is 720 x 576 right?

Oh sinc is best, will give it a shot. Weird though about less cpu usage using denoise.

Will ffdshow ever be updated, its been a while now eh?

Edit: Wow, try sinc on that menu I was talking about, horrible!! Spline looks good, will try that for a while, thanks.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Doh! I didn't notice you were from the Emerald Isle. I think 576 is correct for PAL.

The whacky version I'm talking about is the 20030816 build and it may have been a "pre-release" version.

The one before that was 20030523 so I wouldn't expect to see a newer one for a while.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spline is definitely the best IMO, clocked this athlon down to 2.6ghz to keep things cool. I guess 2.7ghz is needed again now because spline is using 100% cpu usage as opposed to 90% with experimental.

Where did you get those pre-relese versions, from the ffdshow site?

I am still not sure if resizing to 1440x1152 or simply 1280x1024 (display res) is best. Its hard to notice without a side by side comparison.

If I use 1440x1152 should I be using dscaler to scale it back down? That takes even more cpu cycles!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The latest version can be had at:

http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/

Every now and then a pre-release shows up there.

Since you are using an Athlon you will probably see different results than I will because I'm pretty sure that 20030103 build was optimised for P4s. It's definitely faster than the 0523 build for me.

There was some debate about which was better to resize to, display res or even multiple of DVD res, in a different thread.

It pretty much boiled down to try both and pick which one you preferred.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.