Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I have a Nforce 1 based MB, and I plan on getting an XCard very soon. However, I noticed that they both have a SPDIF out. Is there anyway to pass the XCard's SPDIF to the Nforce 1's so that I only need to use 1 SPDIF connection?

As far as the connecting the XCard to my TV, I have an old SDTV Sony (35") and currently I use a AIW 9000 Pro for tv out. But, I noticed that the XCard supports S-Video out... should I use the loop VGA loopthru cable and continue to use the AIW 9000 Pro's S-Video? Or use the XCard's S-Video out?

Thanks a bunch,

crix0r

·
Registered
30 Posts
In reviews I have read here on the forum, the X card's analog out are not thebest.

Just this weekend I set up my first HTPC (details to follow when the last few compnents are in). I used an Xcard PDI deluxe combo, and I use the DVI out from My radeon video card to view things processed by the X, so I would think you could use the S vid on the video card as well.

I cant comment specifically on audio, as that is the main compnent I am waiting for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Russell -

Well since I'm stuck with a SDTV for right now, I figured that the svideo would be plenty sufficent.. is that a safe presumption?? When I get a HTDV, I had considered going with the PDI add in card. That's later on though.. first step is to get HTPC replacements for stuff I Have, like the dvd player, etc. Of course, if I can't get it to loop through the NForce, I'll have to get a coax switch...

Thanks,

crix0r

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
I have a Nforce 1 based MB, and I plan on getting an XCard very soon. However, I noticed that they both have a SPDIF out. Is there anyway to pass the XCard's SPDIF to the Nforce 1's so that I only need to use 1 SPDIF connection?
You can do it the other way round:

There is an SPDIF input (electrical 2-wire) on the Xcard board. Connect the SPDIF out from the motherboard to the input on the Xcard.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curry, All -

But if I run the SPDIF from the NForce thru the XCard, won't I always have to have the xcard software/palyer running? OR is it a pass thru. What about conflicts? What happens if you're using the NForce sound then the xcard wants to get used.. etc.

Thanks,

crix0r

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is a passthrough. However, there is a registry setting that needs to be modified with the current player software to ensure that the XCard releases the port when the XCard player is not in use.

RG

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curry-Boy
You can do it the other way round:

There is an SPDIF input (electrical 2-wire) on the Xcard board. Connect the SPDIF out from the motherboard to the input on the Xcard.

Hope this helps...
I noticed it also has an electrical 2-wire digital-out. Can this be used to loop through a sound-card (provided it has 2-wire digital-in)? If so, would there be anymore steps to take (registry settings, etc.)?

TIA!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I read it over on the sigmadesigns forum. Don't have the link offhand. Search over there on 'digital and passthrough' and it *should* come up.

RG

*edit*

I looked it up....

HKLM\\Software\\SigmaDesigns\\REALmagic\\20\\General\\SpdifE nableAtClose is set to 0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.