AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I am BEGGING for help so please, be kind. Allow me to explain my situation.

I have been doing countless hours of research for MONTHS now it, and was dead set on purchasing a Panasonic G25 plasma, because I felt it was the best TV I was willing to pay for.

Now, after countless Black Friday deals that I passed on for this TV, Cyber Monday comes and drops bombs in my lap, and now I feel I have no idea which TV is right for me, which is why I have come here

Before I start to ramble endlessly, let me lay down what appeals to me about the G25, and what I am looking for in a TV - perhaps you can set me in the right direction, because I'm at my wits end trying to decide.

What appeals to me about G25:

- Cost

- Low latency

- Accurate color detail

- Fantastic Black levels

What is not appealing:

- Thought of burn in

- Energy consumption

- rapidly degrading black levels

I have done my research mainly

Here:

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/07/29/as...gaming-pwning/

Here:

http://www.mysears.com/Televisions--...-/posts?page=2

and Here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-de...a1.0;buyAdvice

And aside from being a TV that produces a great picture, a TV that's great for playing video games on, as well as not too hard on the wallet is what I'm looking far. Given the numerous Cyber Monday deals that have brought various "top-rated" TV's into a closer price range with the G25...I am freaking out, because I don't know what to do.

The TV that is currently competing with this for me would be the Samsung UNC6300.

Pro's:

- Slim depth

- Low energy consumption

- Lower risk of burn in

I am simply a mess. Please help me.

(Mods: I apologize if this is in the wrong place, and I saw it was a no-no to include price discussions, but I need help
I'm sorry.)

·
Banned
568 Posts
IMO don't invest in any LED TV, at least not this year, since there's only 1 or 2 TV's that actually deliver a "true LED picture," all the others are imitators [at some level or another]. If price is your biggest problem then you should look on CraigsList for used/older/cheaper TVs. I've learned over the past 4 years that ANYTHING you want will eventually show up on your local CL, and for a fraction of the cost. If you can contain the hype of wanting a new TV, just relax and surf CL every single day until you find something you want. Burn-in is a thing of the past, totally not an issue post-2008 on most decent TVs. Power consumption shouldn't be on your list of reasons to avoid a TV, since most 50" Plasmas' only run ~$80/year (8hrs/day), not a big deal considering the size and general-quality.

...With a little research, you can decided if the item is reliable and being sold at a fair price. Since I've been using CL, I've decided that I'm NEVER going to buy any electronic new ever again. Because as many here at the AVS forums are finding out, not all TV's are built to last - some even failing within a month or 2 of purchasing them
! But when you buy on CL, you know the TV has a lot of hours on it, and with a few simple questions you can learn a lot about it through the owner. If a TV is 1 year old, and still working, then you have nothing to worry about, and usually save at least 40% off the original MSRP - and you know you're getting a TV that won't fail on you (because most TV's die within a year - if they're ever gunna).

In conclusion: stick with Plasma, and if $ is your restraint then search CL daily, and you'll eventually land a great set. I found a Pioneer 500M for $1000, which is basically insane, and unheard of

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like you are making to big a deal of this, get the G25 or the sammy from a place where it is easy to return, then return if not satisfied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts