AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding settings for this set is worse than pulling teeth. All I have available to me is the DVE basics bluray which helped with the mainstays, but offered no means of calibrating white balance/grayscale.

If you want to share your calibrated settings top to bottom (even sound) that would be great, but ultimately the white balance settings is what I'm after so I can stop tearing my hair out and start enjoying the TV.

The minute I can afford a meter I'll certainly be buying one, but with 100s a month in cancer medication and baby number one en route, that unfortunately won't be for quite some time. I'm anal and ocd so until that point I'd like to be able to rest easy knowing I'm atleast "close".

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
If you do find settings you may be disappointed because component tolerances are different for every tv, and unless you can accurately measure your panel with a light meter and specialized software, and adjust your settings accordingly, you may be continuing to tear your hair out until you DIY or pay for a professional calibration. Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt they'll be so far off that I'll be "disappointed" regardless no way to know until I find some settings. Everything else has been calibrated and is very close to where it was set ala the stock preset. All that is left is the white balance.

Using the warm 2 color preset unfortunately adds a reddish tint to the whites so I'd like to get them closer to pure white without throwing everything else off.

If nobody (it seems) owns this tv but me, perhaps someone can recommend a test pattern for white balance (I think it's the same thing as grayscale or no?) that I can burn and adjust myself.

Frustrating that there is nothing out there for this tv. Lots of 900b stuff but I assume it uses an entirely different panel. If not, speak up cause I can probably use it's settings.

either way I appreciate your reply. Those are apparently rare as well. I do realize it won't be perfect without a meter so no need to rehash that however.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
If you have the money to buy a 65X950B you certainly have the money to hire a pro-calibrator, in fact when you pay that much for a TV pro-calibration is a no-brainer. Do it yourself without the know-how and proper equipment or copy settings will not work..

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
I doubt they'll be so far off that I'll be "disappointed" regardless no way to know until I find some settings. Everything else has been calibrated and is very close to where it was set ala the stock preset. All that is left is the white balance.

Using the warm 2 color preset unfortunately adds a reddish tint to the whites so I'd like to get them closer to pure white without throwing everything else off.

If nobody (it seems) owns this tv but me, perhaps someone can recommend a test pattern for white balance (I think it's the same thing as grayscale or no?) that I can burn and adjust myself.

Frustrating that there is nothing out there for this tv. Lots of 900b stuff but I assume it uses an entirely different panel. If not, speak up cause I can probably use it's settings.

either way I appreciate your reply. Those are apparently rare as well. I do realize it won't be perfect without a meter so no need to rehash that however.
AVS HD 709 Calibration Disk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts