AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted a question on the DIY forum about how I wanted to make a home subwoofer for music purposes and wanted to do a sealed enclosure with 1-2 Infinity Kappa Perfect car subwoofers. Here's a reply I got:

"As for the sub, there are very few car subs that do well in a home environment. They are designed to fit in a small box and take advantage of a car's "cabin gain" that naturally boosts the low frequencies. Put the same sub in a large room and the bass just disappears."

I've read about this before but can't seem to understand why a car sub would perform worse than a "home" sub. I'm skeptical to believe designers really engineer a sub to only sound good in a car or a home. Does this mean if I use a "home" sub in my car it will sound like crap, too?

I am posting this on this forum because you guys really seem to know your stuff, and the DIY forum gets about 10% of the traffic this forum gets. If I sounded sarcastic up top I didn't mean to, I just really don't understand the logic. I do understand what cabin gain is and that jazz, but am still confused why the 2 would be different.

Thanks for any replies!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
It's easier to pound the beejesus out of yourself in the small confines of an automobile. Less cubic feet. And if you believe in room gain, response will rise at 12 dB/octave below the longest axial mode. A bass driver that kicks arse in a car may not have the beans to do it in a much larger environment.

Anyone who has put even a modest pair of bookshelf speakers into a car was probably blown away by how they slammed in a small cabin.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did the Adire Shiva vs. an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1.

ADIRE = 2.245 cubic feet @ 40.249 hz.

INFINITY = 1.858 cubic feet @ 39.031 hz.

Both were made in a sealed box. Is this what you mean by anechoic?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see where using a pair of MTX 4000 subs would suck, but I don't plan on taking that route. I get car subs DIRT cheap working for Circuit City and can get a brand new pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1s for $150 with a 3-year warranty :)

For music listening (I like TIGHT bass) I'm thinking a sealed would be the way to go. The room will be small (roughly 10x16x8) so I think maybe I could get away with a single 12.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Kappa Perfect isn't your typical car driver. Doesn't have a really high Fs and Qts. Has a respectable Xmax and is a 4ohm driver. For sealed use in home it should work just fine. Just use the modelling programs to figure out what size of enclosure you need for a Q around 0.6 and you'll be happy with the results. And if you decide to use a pair, I'd recommend mounting them symetrically opposed so they cancel each others mechanical forces on the enclosure.

If your cost is $150 for a pair, go for it. If your cost is $150 each, then there are other drivers that perform as well or better for less.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Scarpelli

Anyone who has put even a modest pair of bookshelf speakers into a car was probably blown away by how they slammed in a small cabin.
Yep!

Or even something "slightly" bigger than that, in a van.......;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.