AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I logged on to MyReplayTv.com and got an interesting surprise. Apparently my account has been switched over to the account of someone who lives in Houston, TX and really, really, really likes Dr. Phil, reality tv programs and Spanish language show called Caliente.

Also interesting, is that this person appears to record everything in Extended quality --- yucchh!

Anyone else ever have this problem?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No I have never heard of that problem but thanks for sharing, that is the funniest glitch I have heard of today. I hope you feel a responsibility to allow your system to connect and download this schedule. You can then send the shows to the rightful scheduler, just look for a request for Dr. Phil and Caliente shows missed. Lizard Boy might also know the Houston area ReplayTV owner since there can't be more than a handful of ReplayTV owners in any one city.

Chris

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just sold a replay. and I can now look at the guy I sold it to's schedule. It is based purely on the unit's serial number. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to delete my registration to this S/N. Apparently multiple accounts on the same unit are possible. Is this a glitch in MyReplayTV?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, you can set up multiple myreplaytv user accounts to control the same unit. Recently they added an "Unsubscribe" button to the logon screen, so you can remove your account from a unit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That explains it! I sold my old Showstopper, but set up my 4500 to work on MyReplaytv. It seems to have reverted to the Showstopper, which not coincidentally, was sold to a student at Rice University, in Houston!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I swapped out a 3020 about a year and a half ago. It must not be back in circulation (or at least re-registered with MyReplaytv.com) as all the shows that were on it at the time still show up on the site today.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok quick question. I have a 4040 I received on ebay and have not gone out to myreplaytv.com to setup. Can the old owner control my unit? Can he delete my shows? What can he do? Also sounds like if I sign up he will still have control. In fact sounds like I could never keep this person from having control unless he decides to unsubscribe himself from my unit. This is super messed up! Please help!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just looked at that unsubscribe screen. It says it will delete ALL accounts associated with that unit. Not too nice for the next guy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lawson23
Ok quick question. I have a 4040 I received on ebay and have not gone out to myreplaytv.com to setup. Can the old owner control my unit? Can he delete my shows? What can he do? Also sounds like if I sign up he will still have control. In fact sounds like I could never keep this person from having control unless he decides to unsubscribe himself from my unit. This is super messed up! Please help!
You can disable myreplaytv.com control at your unit, but that means you can't control it either. Yes, the handling of changes in Replay ownership with regard to this site is not well conceived.

My guess is the engineers assumed no one would ever want to sell their Replay :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quiz
You can disable myreplaytv.com control at your unit, but that means you can't control it either. Yes, the handling of changes in Replay ownership with regard to this site is not well conceived.

My guess is the engineers assumed no one would ever want to sell their Replay :)
I believe you can do this on the 4xxx and 5xxx units, but not the Showstoppers or 3xxx's.

-Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekaxel
Just looked at that unsubscribe screen. It says it will delete ALL accounts associated with that unit. Not too nice for the next guy!
I think I'm interpreting that the same way.

After finding this thread, I just logged on to discover that I still have a myreplay account for the unit I returned. Since the new owner of the machine only has two items from 3 weeks ago, I figure it's unlikely that he or she is using it much, let alone using a myreplay account for it.

While it is indeed amusing to contemplate "improving" someone's TV viewing by adding some enlightening programming, I would feel totally violated if it happened to me; therefore, I will delete the account from my end. Now, to find where I placed that sheet of paper with the serial number, since it is required to unsubscribe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is messed up that you need the serial # to unsubscribe!

"You can disable myreplaytv.com control at your unit"

Also my unit was restored to factory default when I got it does this automatically remove all myreplaytv.com functions? Or how do I do the above?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Re: Control. If you have the unit, you can unsubscribe and resubscribe. This will remove the previous owner's account.

If you sold the unit, you can unsubscribe if you still have the serial number, but you will also remove the new owners account. The best way to get yourself off someone else's unit is to get them to unsubscribe and resubscribe.

I don't have any experience with 4xxx and 5xxx, but it seems if you "disable" at your unit, then no one (including you) can use MyReplayTV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I subscribed to myreplaytv almost 2 weeks ago, can't see anything but what's on my machine.

Channel Guide says "You have requested a starting time or a starting channel out of range. Please try again."

In Find Shows, looking for anything yields "There were no broadcasts in the schedule corresponding to your request. Please try again, or make your categories less restrictive."

Finally, Manual Record yields "An error has occurred.

Error Code: MRS-5500"

I've e-mailed tech support only to get back the same suggested reading for each of 3 e-mails.

I did read somewhere here, to un-subscribe, then re-subscribe which I haven't tried yet.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's an interesting one .. i just went to myreplaytv and it shows my currently recorded programs .. the interesting part is that it has been over a year since i visited that site, and I am accessing the site from a new computer that has never accessed that site .. and i didn't have to enter a password or anything else .. although I have been to sonicblue site recently .. any comments???

btw .. does NEone know how to force the system to connect to the home server at a specific time every day .. i would like to connect around 5:40 am .. just before the 6am cuttoff for accepting programming requests for the next day .. ( p.s. i know how to force a connection, just not how to make it connect at the same time every day.)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
You know some Mad teen has been tormenting the guy he sold his ReplayTV to. That has got to have happened at least once. There's alot o those 'Mars Attack!" type early teens out there. One word: Middleschool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.