AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That most calibrators, installers, what have you...have said that there are two brands when it comes to RPTV: Mits & Pioneer...and then there is everything else.

Well, I was wondering what was said about Receivers. Are there any brands that stick out as the best? I am looking at the Pioneer Elite THX Ultra 2 certified (not sure on the actual model number...sorry).

~Jay

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Denon has a well deserved reputation on these Forums. There are other brands that get to be the hot item every so often, like the Pioneer 49TX, but Denon consistently has high build quality and usable features across their line.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think Onkyo and their higher-end Integra line is also well-respected. NAD is one I see liked on other forums, but not so much here.

Outlaw (whether their slightly dated 1050 or the 950/770 combo) stands out for their great value with maybe a reputation slightly less for audiophiles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just a thought, you might not hear about the NAD's that much since they aren't carried by as my places. For example in my area (Ann Arbor, MI) there are 4 a/v stores in a 28 sq mile area. 3 of them carry denon and 1 of them carries NAD.

Forgot if it's the NAD's or another line carried at the local store that has NAD's, but there is a line of receivers that have two different "circuits" that you can toggle between. One for stereo and one for HT.

Anyways, just my $.02 + inflation. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that's the Denon...you can switch it on the fly, whereas with the Pio Elite...you can't switch at all from what I understand.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had good luck with NAD gear over the years. Always performed well, reliable, good sound. Haven't much experience with their AV recs. Just got an L40 Stereo Receiver/CD player for a family room system and I am very impressed with the sound quality and functionality.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think it also depends a bit on which part of the spectrum you're viewing. At the top end, B&K gets a lot of good ink (as well as Denon). In the middle tiers, there are Marantz and Integra, Denon and Yamaha. Although smaller and lessor known, NAD and Arcam seem to be establishing a following.

BTW, among ISF'ers I've talked to, many say that if you're willing to do a professional calibration, Toshiba is the choice. I don't think I've ever heard anyone slam a Pioneer Elite, but many have said the incremental gain in PQ isn't worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i've been a fan of NAD for years, and actually have been wondering about their t761 pre.

---- i would really like to get an outlaw, but at this point, it's just a waiting game. i have been seriously thinking about nad as a pre, and wondered what the general thought on that line was??

--- i have an nad t550 dvd-cd player that i'm really happy with. ---i use it mostly for music, and did an a-b comparison to my old unit, and it blew it away! --- i didn't think there would be such a difference in a "c.d." player, but was wrong. it was a huge difference!!!!

the optical device in there is the same as mcintosh uses, the burr-brown optical.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
"Someone Once Said......

That most calibrators, installers, what have you...have said that there are two brands when it comes to RPTV: Mits & Pioneer...and then there is everything else."

This is sure to tick off owners of Sony's, Hitachi's and Toshiba's RP's and for good reason. (Not to mention other brands)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I didn't post it to tick off anyone. It's just what someone quoted me and a few other people agreed with. Albeit, they are owners of Mits & Pios as well.

But my main point was to find out what good receivers are out there that do support THX Ultra 2 and others as well. The Pio and Denon are coming out on top on this one, it looks like.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you're looking for a top of the line Rec..., the best option is the Outlaw 950 and either 7 chan. 770 or 5 chan. 755 amps.

These two units blow away the price of the top Recs. and trounce them in performance. Power supplies that are tremendously better than any Rec can squeeze into on large box, and far cleaner signal paths also due to not having to compromise w/ the limited space of one large Rec. box.

IMO, Sepperates and Recs. have always been two very diff. catergories till now.

Used to be that sepperates always had better sound and better quality parts and power supplies but cost far more than a top of the line Rec.

Now Recs. are getting a lot better in sound quality and getting very expencive in cost in the top of the line models, but the Outlaw 950 and lots of great amp combinations (w/ the best value being the combo price of Outlaw's own amps) have really destroyed most reasons to buy any top of the line Rec.

Seperates will always be better sounding and obviouslt more flexable for set-up (unless someone years from now comes out with a flawless all digital from in to out Rec., but don't hold your breath for that breakthrough).

THX is a bunch of garbage IMO (let the flames begin). The valid elements of it's specifications (and there are valivd elements) are available in non-certified componenets too -like the non-THX Outlaw combo.

The Outlaw is decked out with all the latest features... DD-EX decoding, DTS-ES, full range of adjustments and settings of PL2, variable x-oxers, and lots more.

Wanting THX like it's some kind of reference level of high quality sound is a joke. It's not THX that makes a system (if it has THX or not) sound great.

It's like all the people who relate their HT's to movie theaters. Movies theaters suck. Their picture quality sucks, the sound is too loud, and very poor quality (harsh and zero depth or imaging) compared to even a modest costing HT set up, and is NOT a reference point any film director would want you to try to match.

Real life sound and vision is the director's reference point, and the Outlaw combo will beat any Rec. on the market in value and performance IMO which is closer to the true reference point.

Let me add that I DON'T think these Recs. suck from Denon or Pioneer or some of the other better models (like great models from B&K or Integra),

but right now in time -the Outlaw seperates combo is the system to beat when looking for the best Rec. out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.