Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my concerns:

1) my only HD source (SA2000HD from TWC) outputs 1080i over component which cannot be recorded by the 30k (anyone think that other d-theater models will come out with component it?)

2) any library I purchase will likely be replaced by HD DVD when that arrives and I have library upgrade fatigue (from the LD --> DVD cycle)

I have a feeling that I'll buy one toward Christmas when there are a bunch of titles out, prices have come down more (though at $1100 it's getting close for me...) and we have more visibility into the arrival of HD DVD.

TM

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
1) There will never be a consumer model allowing component HD recording. Professional W-VHS decks do that, but tapes cost $40 and you can only record analog stereo audio.

2) HD-DVD won't be here before 3 to 5 years.

3) In all likelihood, HD-DVD won't be better than DVHS. It could even be worse if they chose MPEG4. So, unless you watch your movies 50 times by year and wear out the tapes, you just won't need to replace them.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I never made the LD to DVD because the quality improvement wasnt there.

Now, to HDTV, I am over 300 movies and growing since this is a huge jump over DVD. I wouldnt hold my breathe for HD-DVD. They are already fighting it out over formats. Enjoy the quality today. I like my tapes much better anyways. Plug it in, hit play and watch it. The stupid DVD takes me forever to get to the darn movie and each one is different. Also when I hit stop on my tape, when I hit play its where I left it. On a DVD when I hit stop, it starts over again.

Dave

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm excited about the chance to watch prerecorded movies at definition reportedly better than current HDTV. The reason for buying now is that this is probably the only practical way, other than broadcast HDTV, to have hi def in our home theaters.

But arguing that a video tape player is more convenient than DVD is really goofy. A pretty sure sign that Dave, as he indicates, has little or no experience with DVD players.

Craig

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
For the way I watch movies, tapes is much much better for me to use.

I have lots of experience with DVD's. I even author movies on them so you have no idea what you are talking about!!

dave

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'd like to see JVC fix the firmware bugs that have been reported by some here and release a next generation deck that has an ATSC tuner on board. I've decided I'm going to be happy with my Panny deck and will play the waiting game until lots of D-Theater titles are available.

·
Registered
606 Posts
RickD_99:

I totally agree with you - buying a 30k is a dicey proposition. Like you, I'll stick with the Panasonic HD1k and wait for a better DVHS machine and a PVR.

Some people have been lucky with the 30k, but when spending over a grand one shouldn't be counting on luck to get a product without bugs.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
TM,

I'm ready but I want to see a stream( note I didn't say river ) of DTheater titles. I would love to be able to drop in an HD title rather than saying "hey there is something I like on at 11:00 PM but I have to go to work in the morning so I guess not" type of thing that I'm doing now . I'd also like to be able to see software that isn't laden with compression artifacts. DVD has still a lot of unrealized potential that some of the reference discs bear out but these are more rare than mediocre transfers. I see this DTheater stuff as possibly a dream come true. HDDVD may well be as good as the PQ with DTheater but maybe not. Two years is a chunk of life in my estimation let alone three to five years for HDDVD so I won't wait watching DVD while near D-5 master quality content is available. Some of the fun for me is knowing that I'm watching state of the art in my home.

Art

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun

On a DVD when I hit stop, it starts over again.

Dave [/b]
Hi Dave,

Normally DVD players have two different STOP functions: continue play or restart. You may look into your player's manual to find out.

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi,

I don't have display unit that can benefit from D-Theater playback or HDTV now. I am renting DVD titles from netflix.com and I would like to make time shift recording and watch them during the weekend. I am currently using JVC s-VCR to do the job. I need some input from 30K's owner. Can I expecting significant improvement by using 30K via S-VHS (the input signal will be analog of s-video)? In other word, is it worth for the money?

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Remember too that DVHS can be encoded up to 28mbs. OTA ATSC has a limit of 19.3 but in reality it's really a max 17.1 of video data payload. DBS HDTV is even less, popular opinion is 11mbs.

So there is potentially a decent quality jump with DVHS.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All very interesting thoughts. One more question - anyone know the bitrate of TWC HD? I have the SA2000HD box if that matters.

I've seen the 30k demo tape (the japanese gardens, streams, etc) via a Sharp 9000 and it truly was jaw dropping.

Overall though I think I'm with Art and RickD...hopefully by the time there are a bunch of tapes out there will be a 2nd gen machine with all the bugs worked out. I don't think a tuner would help me right now though.

TM

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

I think D-theater is an attempt to get everyone to accept a non-standard copy-protection. Since JVC is the only company providing D-Theater support, I expect D-Theater to die by the end of the year.

The 5C copy-protection use on the IEEE1394 interface provides all of the copy-protection that the MPAA needs to protect there content.

With all of the problems that been reported here with the JVC deck, it is not ready for prime time. JVC needs to fix the bugs and another company needs to provide D-Theater D-VHS decks before I will spend my hard earn dollers.

I urge all of you to not buy into D-theater copy-protection!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Bruce, do you even have a JVC to justify your comments?

I have 5 of them and no way do they have the type of problems you report!

Dave

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi H2Ofun,

My quote

"With all of the problems that been reported here with the JVC deck, it is not ready for prime time."

The problems were reported by other members of this forum, not by me!

1)I do not own a JVC. But after careful research and study, I decided that the cost was too high to risk a purchase on a piece of equipment that has shown to have problems by other members of this forum.

2) It my feeling that D-Theater which is an additional copy-protection on top of 5C, is not needed to protect MPAA content. No other company has annouce. support for D-theater. Mitsubishi is not going to make any D-Theater D-VHS decks.

3) I have only ONE HD input on my Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV and its being used by my Mits SR-HD5 STB. I'm adding the Promise Module to my Mits set in September and purchasing a Mits D-VHS. So if Hollywood wants me to buy HD-tapes, they will have to make them without D-theater.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi!

I can't understand why folks that haven't bought the JVC feel the need to defend their own inaction, but I'm extremely satisfied with my JVC HM-DH30000U! I have had no dropouts whatsoever, and the image is unquestionably the best available - highly recommended!

Cheers!

MarkF

·
Registered
744 Posts
What kind of tape does it use and how much is the tape?

Also, where can you find a complete set of specs?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Mark, I agree with ya. People who make conclusions without even doing first hand tests just amaze me. Take the internet comments at face value as truth. No way. The internet is where most come to *****.

And its always amazing how people wait for tomorrow. Oh well, enjoying my HD today.

Dave

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another question:

JVC site says the 1394 I/Os are for Camcorders. Camcorders are not yet full 720p. Will this unit fully support 1280x720p through the 1394 ports? (I still cannot find a full set of specs.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
THis is the same thing as LaserDisc all over again, really. Those who chose not to invest in the one product that provided the highest quality at the time had to wait for DVD. We have an HDTV solution right now. I agree that there will be others, but if someone does not support D-VHS, the real message sent will be that no one cares.

If you notice, many studios have decided to release some DVDs in pan & scan only. To much of the disappointment of the videophiles who made DVD a success in the first place, the true integrity of the production is ignored.

As ironic as it is that this new format should be presented to us on a VHS tape, it exists.

I can tape an OTA HD show, and soon watch HD movies in a quality better than any device I've ever had. For me, that was worth it. The picture quality is incredible. The deck works fine. Any pice of equipment we own that has moving parts is subject to many kinds of possible errors. But so what, if it works perfectly 97% of the time, that's cool. Nothing's perfect.

I've had all the formats and purchased hundreds of movies on all of those formats. I'll buy on on D-Theater too. We have to go with progress. We are progress after all.

If those on this forum do not show that there is an interest in viewing HD material at home, there will be no second generation D-Theater decks. There is no other immediate solution offered by any company that I'm aware of.

HD-DVD is inevinatble, but not for a while. I want to have fun now with the best we have. Anyone else who went right out and bought the JVC 30k knows exactly what I'm talking about.

There are no more or less bugs that any device I've purchased in the last few years. It does what it says, and I'm pretty impressed.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.