AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I've narrowed it down some. These first two I've found locally, both at $640. One question- how is Samsung's quality (well built, picture, etc.)

Samsung 32" 4:3 TX-R3265

Philips 30" 16:9 30PW8420 (with HDMI)

Note that that I've owned that model Philips, but had to return it because of discoloration in the top left color. And as you can see, I'm also torn between WS and non. I want the WS for movies and xbox360, but also it will be used for regular cable, so I'm torn.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and thanks Hef. I found that Sony at CC for 650, but I wonder if the screen would be too small watching anything 16:9

·
Premium Member
18,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider
OK, I've narrowed it down some. These first two I've found locally, both at $640. One question- how is Samsung's quality (well built, picture, etc.)

Samsung 32" 4:3 TX-R3265

Philips 30" 16:9 30PW8420 (with HDMI)

Note that that I've owned that model Philips, but had to return it because of discoloration in the top left color. And as you can see, I'm also torn between WS and non. I want the WS for movies and xbox360, but also it will be used for regular cable, so I'm torn.
Samsung and Philips are poor quality.

As for widescreen vs non, pick the one that you want the TV to look best with. If you want to get the biggest fullest picture when watching regular cable get the 4:3, or if you want it to look best with DVD and widescreen games get the 16:9 and just watch your regular cable in stretch mode.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
OK, scrap the Philips. Since I'm going to be moving again, I most likely won't have as big a space, so now I'm thinking 27". What do you think of this?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=119874
That Panny is a good choice. I had the 30" version of it for awhile and it had a really good picture. There have been some reports about Panasonic outsourcing their smaller tube TVs to Orion, who make poor quality stuff. Waltchan may be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Samsung and Philips are poor quality.

As for widescreen vs non, pick the one that you want the TV to look best with. If you want to get the biggest fullest picture when watching regular cable get the 4:3, or if you want it to look best with DVD and widescreen games get the 16:9 and just watch your regular cable in stretch mode.
How can you put Samsung in the same category as Phillips? Samsung makes some killer CRTS, & usually outshines other CRTS minus the XBR line from Sony..

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
How can you put Samsung in the same category as Phillips? Samsung makes some killer CRTS, & usually outshines other CRTS minus the XBR line from Sony..
RandyWalters is probably still recalling the old Samsung junk era days, and still considers Samsung to be junk also today, that's what he still thinks. He may not have tried any of the new Samsung products yet, so he cannot make any opinions.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
We will be doing a CRT based HDTV shootout on our podcast this Thursday ( www.htguys.com )

Ara

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's surprising^^^^.

I do notice people here seem obsessed with Sony. While I like a premium product, I don't like premium price.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I like the looks of the Sony but I'll consider buying whatever looks the best to my eyes regardless of the name brand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
OK, scrap the Philips. Since I'm going to be moving again, I most likely won't have as big a space, so now I'm thinking 27". What do you think of this?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=119874
I am also extremely interested in this tv.

I read some bad things about the HL14 though on Amazon. I wonder if anyone knows if and why this one is better (or why those people were just unlucky perhaps)?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think Sony delivers better PQ over Panasonic, Philips, and Toshiba. The aperture grille tube is their strong point, and their SD upconversion is second to none. Some people will disagree with me, but I've played with all four brand of TVs and the Sony looks the best.

Samsung has had an issue with poor geometry and convergence, so you may want to check the TV out in the store before you buy it. Their DynaFlat CRTs show quite a bit of horizontal arcing and vertical bowing to possibly rule them out. The red push is very high on them as well, giving everything a reddish tint unless you like extremely dull colors to try to avoid it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad
We will be doing a CRT based HDTV shootout on our podcast this Thursday

Ara
Ara,

You guys have an awesome podcast! (Those here who have not yet listened to the podcast should download them).

Which CRT's will be included in your shootout?

·
Premium Member
18,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
RandyWalters is probably still recalling the old Samsung junk era days, and still considers Samsung to be junk also today, that's what he still thinks. He may not have tried any of the new Samsung products yet, so he cannot make any opinions.
No, RandyWalters is recalling dozens and dozens of posts on this board and other boards over the past few years where Samsung owners are complaining about a myriad of problems with their new sets. Two years ago i was seriously interested in two different 32" Samsung Neo-Slim models as i had space limitations. These TVs had all the features i was looking for but i searched the net for feedback and reviews on Samsung TVs and there were WAY too many complaints and problems. So i bought a Panasonic instead. I don't have to try the current models - i can simply read tons of recent posts here and on Epinions dot com etc and see current complaints. And this is just on the tube TVs.

Some of the Samsungs have good picture quality, but most that i've seen in stores don't look as good as the Sonys and JVCs and Panasonics and their defective rate seems to be fairly high.

I even gave Samsung a chance when i bought a new 15" LCD for a bedroom since people report good picture quality on their LCDs. However my 2-year-old 15" Sharp LCD had a noticeably better picture in side-by-side comparison using the same sources so i returned it and bought another Sharp which looks great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.