AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing a paging system in a mixed retail and industrial environment. Trying to pick out equipment and I *think* I know what I'm doing, but you know how that goes.

The back half of the building is a shop that's mostly open. I'm guessing the total floor space is about 5000 square feet, maybe a little more. It's pretty tall, maybe 50 feet or so. And there's a second floor over about 1/4 of the area, it's just an open metal platform for storage. There will be a fair amount of noise there, typical shop stuff like grinders. Near the center of the room is a metal beam holding the roof up. So I was thinking of mounting two horns up high on that beam, pointing in opposite directions. Like maybe these guys.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...42-850&scqty=2

With some 16 ohm drivers wired in parallel for 8 ohms to the amp.

Then I have a parts room which won't be very noisy, and not too big. I figure one speaker on the wall there is fine.

Then a retail area. It's fairly open as well, easy to mount a couple speakers up high and they don't need to be very loud.

Those three zones can be paged independently, so I'll need at least a three channel amp, with independent gain controls so I can tune the volume to each zone.

So, anybody have recommendations on what kind of equipment to look for? I figured big, wide dispersion horns were the obvious choice for the shop, but the other areas don't have to be like that. As for the amp(s) I'm not sure. Probably 100 watt for the shop would be plenty given how sensitive the horns are, maybe don't even need that much. So yeah, any recommendations from people who have dealt with this stuff would be great.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Check out Aiphone.com

Don't use home owner gear for an industrial application.

If there speakers are only for paging and not background music as well, there are several methods to use a single push to talk microphone that directs the audio to a particular zone selected at the mic, or will you want telephone bridged paging access?

Using a mic and amp, the usual method is to have a 70 volt output amp with the various remote zone speakers connected via a relay select switch. so the audio only goes to the desired zone. This can also be configured with an all-call function.The zones requiring the lower volumes have variable attenuators assigned while the noisiest area always gets full volume.

Lots of possibilities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts