AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum continues to be one of the most active on AVS. With activity, sometimes comes a bit of disorganization, redundancy and difficulty in following particular topics.

In an effort to minimize the problems and increase the ease of use, we're going to try something a bit different here. In the next couple of days, you'll see us begin to create more "official" threads for each of the different projectors that are the most prominent here.

Our goal is to make it easier for users to find info about any particular projector, and also to cut down on the redundancy of information and posts that are similiar to other info that has been already posted.

As we do this, we'll be closing some of the other threads. Over time, this will help streamline the process of looking for info about any one projector.

So, please bear with us as we try this. If it doesn't seem to work, or if it doesn't provide the results were looking for, we won't continue it. As always, the goal is to make the forum even more informative and user friendly.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Your Forum Moderators

·
Registered
407 Posts
Great idea, the Infocus X1 would be a good choice as a few lucky people actually have them. That info is getting lost in the general thread.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I second the opinion that it's a great idea. Too many HS10 threads pushing each other off the front page. This should help a lot.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
yep, good idea.

I just hope that the "official" threads don't become too huge that if you're looking for specific info regarding a pj, you dont have to spend 16 years reading thorugh one gigantic thread. But hey, I guess that is why we have search functions.:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bad idea. The HS10 thread is already going in 10 directions.

Too many different questions to be in one thread. It will only get worse. Just watch.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by James99
The HS10 thread is already going in 10 directions.
James-

That's the whole idea. ONE place to look for answers and info regardless of what your particular question is.

But as we said, if this proves to be unworkable, we won't keep doing it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having a single thread for each model projector simply won't work. Imagine all of AVS being ONE thread. On the other hand, if each model PJ had it's own FORUM (say that there was a new catagory of "Digital Projectors - Under $5000 USD MSRP " on the main forum board much like "Display devices", "Special Intrest", "Home theater General" etc.) and there was also a FORUM to discuss and compare and contrast PJs, post shootouts etc., that would be a wonderful resource. AVS has a wealth of valuable information, and I do appreciate having it available to me (I understand that my 2 posts complaining about the moderation doesn't convey that. sorry.) but having to sort through a potentially large thread to find answers to simple questions is utterly rediculous.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree that all closely related threads on "hot" topics should be gathered into one place. But I do have one suggestion: put some kind of visual flag or marker on the posts, to identify those that came from a common pre-existing thread. That way, readers looking for a continuous thread of discussion within the big super-thread can just look for the posts with a blue square, or a red triangle, or whatever. (Numbers would also work, but would be harder to scan for visually.) And when adding a new post to a superthread, the poster should have the option of flagging it with one of these markers - to maintain the continuity.

This should satisfy both sets of people: the ones looking for general information or impressions (who can just ignore the flags), and those trying to follow a specific question/answer sequence.

It would require a little work up front to implement this, but would pay big dividends in the long run, in my opinion.

Just my .02.

-neutrino

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neutrino-

We are NOT combining existing threads into a "hot topics" or "super thread". While your idea might be technically possible, it would require a lot of time and effort to implement, and please understand that like myself, all of the moderators are volunteers and we don't have unlimited time to spend culling through the threads.

Our goal is to have a few threads for each projector rather than multiple threads which often have duplicate info.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
This begs the question, can the forum software here on AVS support searching the thread you're viewing as can other home theater sites?

It's really convenient when you're viewing a "super thread" like the Diva thread.

Searching the forum for something and getting a result that is buried in a thread 32 pages long is not very helpful...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
Neutrino-

We are NOT combining existing threads into a "hot topics" or "super thread".
You're not? Sorry, I misunderstood. You have been combining threads recently... this one, for example. When I saw the new superthreads, I just assumed that all future threads on those topics would be folded into the superthreads. My bad.

Just to make sure I'm crystal clear, then: if someone posts their own thread on one of the "supertopics", and you decide it really should have been in the superthread, then it will simply be closed, and the user will have to repost in the superthread?

I do think it'd be pretty cool to have those visual flags... you're sure you couldn't implement it just by adding some icons to the smilies etc? Users could put whatever icon they wanted at the top of their post, and that would be that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These new projector specific threads are not the way to go. They are like garbage collectors. Me not like!

This forum is overmoderated IMO. Live and let live.

Freedom shall prevail!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sony HS10 owners are second rate citizens here!!!

Vote with our feet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see numerous other threads for Panasonic and Sanyo. Why cant we post a question as a topic???

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
NOOOOOO !!! :confused: :( :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why don't we all give it a try for a day or two before we complain about what a bad idea it is. Steve13 already said that if it didn't work then we wouldn't have to continue to do it. But I think a trial period is only fair. They're not going to change back immediately no matter how many people complain.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Try searching those superthreads from other forums with 200+posts... reading them is an exercise in looking for needles in haystacks.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
My point exactly. You need to be able to do a search "within" a thread like you can at the "other" home theater forum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't believe it will work. But if you decide to implement it for more than a week, please post a poll to let us vote for which method is better.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
At the risk of starting a huge flame war, it is curious that most of the dissention is from members with relatively few posts. No assumptions beyond that, just an observation.

I agree with Eric. Give it some time. We all complained when the under 5K forum was created, and now it's the most popular and frequented forum at AVS. The HS10 threads will run their course just as the AE-100 threads six months ago. The AE-100 prompted an entire forum split. Let's at least give this idea a chance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.