AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5700 driving Def. Tech speakers and am very happy with the sound. I would like to upgrade to 7.1 as I'm building a HT, but haven't really kept up with the reciever scene.

My question is, what other receivers should I be looking at that are close to the 5803/A? My only requirments are a minimum of 5 digital inputs, one of which is an RF input for my LD player.

I'd even be open to something "smaller" with the addition of a RF module, if folks out there think its the way to go. (i.e., I could probably get away with a 3803/5 if I didn't have the LD player)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Don't limit yourself to receivers. At your price point, there are a number of separates that may serve you better. Rotel 1066/RMB1075/RB1080 comes to mind. This combo will give you better sound at a savings of $1000 over the 5803.

There are several other separates that will fall into your price range as well. If you are not against used equipment, your money will go even further at Audiogon. That was the path that I took when it was time to put the 5700 out to pasture. I haven't looked back.

David

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseki
Don't limit yourself to receivers. At your price point, there are a number of separates that may serve you better. Rotel 1066/RMB1075/RB1080 comes to mind. This combo will give you better sound at a savings of $1000 over the 5803.
Of course that's assuming that you would pay almost full MSRP for the 5803, which can be had for as much as $1500 off of MSRP at authorized dealers that are willing to "deal" on them. And for even less at many unauthorized dealers. And when at those prices, getting the same kind of power and features in new separates, becomes something that's much harder to do.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by M Code
Denon 5803 now available with very deep deep discounts as its replacement will be announced in a few months..
If you mean the 5803A, than its already been announced and selling. The only real differences are HDCD, DPLIIx and Denon Link3.

I was curious is someone was going to reccommend a Onkyo or B&K, but it sounds like the 5803 or 5803A is the one to go with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.