AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HDHomeRun tuner and the latest eyeTV 3.x on my iMac 24". It is my DVR system. I live in the Orlando market and for yesterday, I had setup eyeTV to record a bunch of shows. These include Jeopardy (comes in channel 9-1 ABC), Middle (ABC), Modern Family (ABC), and Criminal Minds (CBS). When I went to watch Jeopardy, I noticed that eyeTV had actually recorded NBC instead of ABC. Yikes. Then I checked Middle, - same NBC!! also same with Modern Family. Criminal Minds was recorded properly on CBS.

Any ideas why this happened. Also, is the problem with the tuner or eyeTV. Very weird. The name of the recorded show was correct. I am using TVGuide (paid subscription) as my EPG.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Any ideas why this happened. Also, is the problem with the tuner or eyeTV. Very weird.

Not weird at all. Your tuner and EyeTV are likely fine.

Sounds like your cableco reassigned some of the network channels to different clearQAM frequencies...CBS stayed in the same place...just do a re-scan, track down which is which, and then re-assign the EPG channel. Cablecos do this from time to time, nothing unusual.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/19508150

Not weird at all. Your tuner and EyeTV are likely fine.

Sounds like your cableco reassigned some of the network channels to different clearQAM frequencies...CBS stayed in the same place...just do a re-scan, track down which is which, and then re-assign the EPG channel. Cablecos do this from time to time, nothing unusual.

that's exactly what happened; I live in the same market (Comcast - Orlando area); Channel matches have never been correct for my area; You have to manually find each and designate- it's been that way for a while and recently got even worse. I'm told Comcast is revamping this area for more HD etc. to compete with Brighthouse, but it's taking a long time and changes fairly frequently...

the good news, as Chef says, is it's nothing to do with your equipment...

ken

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles
that's exactly what happened; I live in the same market (Comcast - Orlando area); Channel matches have never been correct for my area; You have to manually find each and designate- it's been that way for a while and recently got even worse. I'm told Comcast is revamping this area for more HD etc. to compete with Brighthouse, but it's taking a long time and changes fairly frequently...

the good news, as Chef says, is it's nothing to do with your equipment...

ken
Use the EyeTV smart guide feature to find and record the shows wherever they are -- this is only a problem where the shows are on multiple channels, which can probably be dealt with with restrictions.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmucklow
Use the EyeTV smart guide feature to find and record the shows wherever they are -- this is only a problem where the shows are on multiple channels, which can probably be dealt with with restrictions.
yep - good advice; I do use this; but as you suggest, it picks up syndicated re-runs on the the wrong channels occasionally- between that and the Comcast channel mess I've limited my use and manually target the channel and time...

ken

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
How does the EyeTV smart guide overcome the problem the OP is having, though--how will creating a "smart guide" of his ABC shows like "The Middle" and "Modern Family" help if the clearQAM frequency of ABC's new location isn't known to EyeTV? EyeTV still thinks his ABC is where it was.

In his case, let's say his ABC was on 705 MHz, that means his EyeTV configuration and EPG associate ABC shows with 705 MHz, then his cableco moves ABC to a different frequency and moves NBC to 705--at that point, doesn't "EyeTV" still think ABC is on 705 MHz--if he set a "smart guide" for any ABC shows it would actually record NBC because EyeTV still thinks "The Middle" and "Modern Family" are on 705 MHz.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP needs to re-scan his channels, confirm that NBC is now associated with 705 MHz and then find out where ABC is, let's say it's on 699 MHz now--at that point if his EPG hasn't assigned NBC to 705 and ABC to 699 he needs to do it manually. Then, and only then, will a "smart guide" for ABC shows correctly find them on their new 699 MHz location.

Or have "smart guides" gotten smarter since the last time I dealt with cablecos moving channels to different clearQAM frequencies?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys - I don't think that happened to me because I am not doing QAM. I am doing ATSC OTA. No cableco involved. The channels have not moved. 2-1 is NBC, 9-1 is ABC. I restarted eyeTV and yesterday's jeopardy on 9-1 was recorded properly. So, I think this is still a mystery. May be the HDHomeRun failed to change the channel when eyeTV instructed it to do so. However, I did not reboot HDHomeRun! So may be it fixed itself. Oh well - I will keep an eye out for this issue in the future.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/19513245

How does the EyeTV smart guide overcome the problem the OP is having, though--how will creating a "smart guide" of his ABC shows like "The Middle" and "Modern Family" help if the clearQAM frequency of ABC's new location isn't known to EyeTV? EyeTV still thinks his ABC is where it was.

guess he's doing OTA anyway - so must be a different problem;

But the last time I used the Smart Guide, it didn't associate a show to a network or even a channel frequency; It just picked up the Text Name of the show from the downloaded guide and recorded it. I was getting recordings of re-runs syndicated on locals and other channels that had no relation to the network, ABC, or any Comcast frequency.

Maybe there's a different Smart Guide implementation, but my thought was it would find the show regardless of the clearQAM frequency based on this behavior...

all moot now though - must be a something else going on..

ken

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had a similar problem at one point it seemed that EyeTV was having trouble changing channels from NBC to CBS (it would record NBC instead of CBS, but manual channel switching worked) -- the problem went away after the QAM frequencies got re-asigned or I upgraded to a newer version of EyeTV. Take your pick -- hasn't happened in quite a while.

Are you running the latest and greatest EyeTV version -- upgrade if not -- it has been the most problem free one for me. Also, OS X 10.6.5 fixed a longstanding Snatch mouse left-click bug.

Lastly, actually AFAIK OTA frequencies do get reassigned as well if not as frequently as the cable-cos juggle QAM -- are you sure that didn't happen?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov /forum/post/19519141

I had a similar problem at one point it seemed that EyeTV was having trouble changing channels from NBC to CBS (it would record NBC instead of CBS, but manual channel switching worked) -- the problem went away after the QAM frequencies got re-asigned or I upgraded to a newer version of EyeTV. Take your pick -- hasn't happened in quite a while.

Are you running the latest and greatest EyeTV version -- upgrade if not -- it has been the most problem free one for me. Also, OS X 10.6.5 fixed a longstanding Snatch mouse left-click bug.

Lastly, actually AFAIK OTA frequencies do get reassigned as well if not as frequently as the cable-cos juggle QAM -- are you sure that didn't happen?

Must have been a glitch. Everything has been working fine for the last couple of days. OTA frequencies have not changed. And I do believe it is much harder to change the frequencies on those! Costs them more money to do that. Also, I am running the latest firmware on the HDHomeRun as well as the latest eyeTV 3.x version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a glitch that I have encountered at least twice over the last 6 months. It does not seem like a big deal until one of the messed up recordings is your wife's favorite show!! I use OTA as well and always set up recordings from the guide. Occasionally, I get the same problem that it records the correct time slot, but the wrong channel. It does not happen all the time, but it does seem to get confused from time to time. I'm not sure what fixes this. I do unplug off the HD Homerun tuners and plug them back in, but I'm not sure if that really does anything. A while back it was happening often enough that I requested an RMA to swap out the HD Homerun tuner, but then it started cooperating,

Has anyone solved this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may be having the same problem I have encountered:

1. When using two different Macs running EyeTV with the same HDHomeRun, the computer records at the right time, but the wrong channel.

2. I have been able to reproduce this problem by changing the channel using a second Mac/EyeTV in between uses by the first Mac/EyeTV. You can see this just by opening a live TV window before and after on the first Mac/EyeTV -- it will think it is on the same channel as before, but in fact it is on the channel you changed to with the second Mac/EyeTV.

3. I reported this to El Gato -- I'll send them this thread to see if it will spur a fix. The work around for me has been to only use a single Mac/EyeTV with the HDHomeRun (I instead setup the second Mac/EyeTV with one of the USB tuner sticks).

4. As I recall, quitting and reopening EyeTV usually fixes the problem. I used to run an applescript that did this every day before primetime to make sure that I would get the right channel, but this was a bit unreliable since the script would sometimes hang and it would record nothing. A better workaround is to change the channel before recording your program. At one point, I had it recording a couple minutes of a shopping or CSPAN channel before primetime to ensure it would have to change channels in order to record primetime programs.

Can anyone else reproduce this issue? It's been a couple years since I really tried to make this work, so maybe it's fixed now.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaugen  /t/1291087/something-very-odd-happened-with-eyetv-and-hdhomerun-yesterday#post_23718598

1. When using two different Macs running EyeTV with the same HDHomeRun, the computer records at the right time, but the wrong channel.

2. I have been able to reproduce this problem by changing the channel using a second Mac/EyeTV in between uses by the first Mac/EyeTV. You can see this just by opening a live TV window before and after on the first Mac/EyeTV -- it will think it is on the same channel as before, but in fact it is on the channel you changed to with the second Mac/EyeTV.

3. I reported this to El Gato -- I'll send them this thread to see if it will spur a fix. The work around for me has been to only use a single Mac/EyeTV with the HDHomeRun (I instead setup the second Mac/EyeTV with one of the USB tuner sticks).

4. As I recall, quitting and reopening EyeTV usually fixes the problem. I used to run an applescript that did this every day before primetime to make sure that I would get the right channel, but this was a bit unreliable since the script would sometimes hang and it would record nothing. A better workaround is to change the channel before recording your program. At one point, I had it recording a couple minutes of a shopping or CSPAN channel before primetime to ensure it would have to change channels in order to record primetime programs.

Can anyone else reproduce this issue? It's been a couple years since I really tried to make this work, so maybe it's fixed now.
It's happening to me constantly. For the sake of brevity, I have one single Mac with a HDHR & EyeTV 500 - 3 tuners total. It very frequently records the wrong channel - typically CBS instead of NBC. Yes, restarting often fixes it or tuning the channel you need ahead of time. I am using QAM.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EyeTV does not reliably handle when I turn on and off my projector that is connected through a DVI to HDMI cable from my iMac. Many times, I come home late from work and I see eyeTV frozen (application not responding). I have to force quit and start over and it did not record any of the shows I had asked it to record!!!!! Are they even developing this software anymore? Looks like it has gone into barely maintained mode.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i had been using an hd homerun successfully w/eyetv for ota recording, then got an hd prime cablecard to replace my verizon fios dvr, but eyetv could only see 2 of the 3 tuners, so i moved both to mythtv, which successfully saw all 5 tuners:) but eyetv's interface is so much better than xbmc's (which i had to use because i couldn't get mythfrontend to build on my mac)-: i moved the homerun back to eyetv. but now eyetv thinks one of the 2 homerun's tuners is owned by the mythtv backend on another (linux) box...wtf???

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is eyeTV even being developed or is it in maintenance mode? I have a bug that was introduced in 3.5.4 I think. I have a iMac/Projector setup and when I got to full screen mode in the projector it is supposed to blank out the imac. It used to do this perfectly until 3.5.4. It got broken then. Even the 3.6 has this bug. It works once in a while but most of the time it does not. Drives me crazy because the iMac's display causes a glare from the back when watching stuff on our projector. Also, eyeTV is very finicky while recording. If my projector is turned on or off (or the receiver in the hdmi chain is turned off or on, many times eyeTV will hang. Also, many times, when the iMac is rebooted, eyeTV will hang (it is programmed to start up automatically).

·
Registered
80 Posts
dunno if elgato is in trouble or not, but my situation just got worse:-( i shutdown my mythtv server so it couldn't possibly be accessing my hdhr, but eyetv still would not access the 2nd tuner (it opens w/ a black window, saying unavailable...1 time i did see notice: in use by my.mythtvbackend.server.ip use anyway? but that has disappeared)-:

so i ran the eyetv setup assistant, which saw both of my hd tuners, ran tuning, and it still refused to access both. so i unplugged both the hdhr & hdcc tuners, ran etvsetup again, plugged the hdhrin, and now it told me there's only 1 tuner available!-( it used to show graphics of the hdhr w/ 2 tuners, now it shows only 1...

hd_hr_config_gui sees both, so the hdhr is working...wtf???

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:

I have this exact same problem. I do use two macs with two hdhomeruns and from time to time it records the wrong channel. It shouldn't be a hard fix just to program eyetv to got to the specified channel every time it begins a new recording.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i've finally figured it out: you must disable eyetv's access to hdhrs that another app is or machine is using, via setup assistant/choose h/w.../tuner pulldowns (note that eyetv only shows #tuners-1)-:

> two different Macs running EyeTV with the same HDHomeRun

if both eyetvs are running @ the same time, which is your hdhr to obey? the hdhr can only obey the 1 that has the lock, which is the 1 that 1st accessed the hdhr, which apparently is not your eyetv instance doing the recording...

expecting 2 separate instances of eyetv to somehow magically cooperate is expecting too much...the only way to handle this situation is a client/server setup, such as mythtv, which has a backend doing the recording (the server, which controls the hdhr) and separate frontends (the clients) doing the display.

i have this setup, running the backend on my linux server, and exporting the recordings directory as nfs that my minimac mounts so eyetv can play the recordings...eyetv is_so_much nicer than myth's f/e;-) accessed thru a webpage fed by myth's web interface: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVR_Service#GetRecordedList

i should also add that eyetv (&vlc 4 that matter) can play recordings just fine on my core duo minimac, where mythtv's f/e is unwatchable...unfortunately, eyetv refuses to allow the hdhr (w/cablecard) to decode channels, so i'm stuck w/mythtv...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts