AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've tried everything with HP MediaSmart 47" (1080p LCD HDTV SL4778N).

It has audio out via RCA jacks and optical output. With RCA jacks, the sound is highly degraded, making me think that something is loose inside.

I bought one device to try Optical out [FIIO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter with SMI Gold Plated 6ft Optical TOSLink Cable and RCA-to-3.5MM Audio Cable- 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC].

When it arrived, it had two labels indicating it would only work with PCM Output. The TV does have a PCM Out option, but no way to direct it to the Optical out. So I got no sound at all, and therefore returned it.

My problem is I'd like to allow my wife to read while I watch television. No problem with DVDs since I plug right into my integrated amp. But when the sound can only come from the television, I'm stuck since the RCAs don't seem to work.

Anyone heard of this - any suggestions short of taking the back off and looking for loose wiring?

thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ... that's what I thought. But I can't select it for streaming, which is when I want it. Apparently it's only an option for connected devices.

I have a Roku for streaming and my only option for headphones would be the audio out options on the back of the TV.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
So I don't know if you can see this photo of my "Audio" settings, but PCM is grayed out.

You may try to turn off the internal TV speakers and see what happens.

However, you have to set external devices connected direct to TV to PCM. Dolby Digital is not supported in this TV.

From your instruction manual page 93 "Troubleshooting":

Q: I do not hear sound from an HDMI
connected set-top box, DVD player,
or other device.

A: Check that the device outputs audio over HDMI in PCM format. Change
the device setting if needed.

This TV does not support audio input over HDMI in Dolby Digital format;
for more information, see “Understanding audio output” on page 54.

To use Dolby Digital output from your digital source device, connect the
digital output of your device directly to the input of your AV receiver or
external sound system that supports Dolby Digital. For more information,
see “Selecting the type of sound system” on page 17.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J_Palmer_Cass: you have answered the question, and explained the problem:

"This TV does not support audio input over HDMI in Dolby Digital format"

And the Roku is connected via HDMI.

I have been turning off the internal speakers - I always start with that.

P. 54 says: "This TV does not support Dolby Digital audio input over HDMI. When connecting a set-top box, DVD player, or other device by means of HDMI, set the device audio output to PCM format."

That seems to say that I have to be able to set the Roku player to PCM?

P. 17 says: "Connecting an external sound system. You can connect an external sound system to the TV by using the Audio Output connectors for a digital audio or analog audio signal:
■ Use an optical audio cable and the Audio Output Digital (Optical) connector on the rear of the TV to provide a digital audio signal to an external sound system, such as a digital receiver or a surround sound system.
■ Use an audio cable and the Audio Output Left and Right connectors on the rear of the TV to provide an analog audio signal to an external sound system, such as an analog amplifier or stereo system.
The input source signal and the Audio menu settings in the onscreen display determine the type of audio output. This TV does not support Dolby Digital audio input over HDMI. When connecting a set-top box, DVD player, or other device by means of the HDMI connector, set the device audio output to PCM format.
See “Understanding audio output” on page 54 for information on the audio output type

Seems I'm kind of stuck ... and all I really want is to connect headphones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have just discovered a fix - Roku 3. Not cheap, but the new remote has a headphone jack, which works wirelessly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a Roku 2 - at least a couple of years old now - and it doesn't.

From what I've read, though, the Roku 3 is also all-around faster, with dual-band WiFi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We paid $80 for the Roku 2 XD three years ago - today they're $60-70. The 3 is $95, or $77 "refurbished."

It makes more sense for us because the 3 is dual-band WiFi and we have a dual-band router. It's also supposed to be much faster than the 2 (we see lag often on Netflix streaming) and has an SD card slot, which I intend to max out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts