AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the AVerTV Hybrid Volar Max tuner card. It supports QAM and HD. This is the way I have it hooked up:


Time Warner STB outputs to tuner card which connects to HTPC via USB. I can view the HD channels, but they still have the gray bars (as if you were watching an HD channel on a SD TV.)


Any idea how to view these channels in HD?


Thanks in advance..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
That's not going to work. The Time Warner STB only outputs HD resolution through either the HDMI or component outputs. Since your tuner card cannot be connected to the STB in this manner you will not be able to receiver HD from it. To receiver QAM channels with your tuner card you must take the TW STB out of the loop. Connect the cable directly from the wall outlet to the tuner card but there is a big catch. Without the STB you loose the ability to decrypt your digital channels. The only channels you will be able to receive are the "in the clear" QAM channels i.e. NOT ENCRYPTED. Usually that means only your locals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/14171180


That's not going to work. The Time Warner STB only outputs HD resolution through either the HDMI or component outputs. Since your tuner card cannot be connected to the STB in this manner you will not be able to receiver HD from it. To receiver QAM channels with your tuner card you must take the TW STB out of the loop. Connect the cable directly from the wall outlet to the tuner card but there is a big catch. Without the STB you loose the ability to decrypt your digital channels. The only channels you will be able to receive are the "in the clear" QAM channels i.e. NOT ENCRYPTED. Usually that means only your locals.

too bad he had to learn this the hard way..took me forever to get my head around it. I still never understood why they couldn't output the HD over the coax from the STB. it obviously can do the bandwidth. i used to think it was an HDPC thing, but there's no HDCP on the component output either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.. Looks like I'm SOL.


Does the STB have the ability to output dual HD? 1 via HDMI and 1 via component?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inimical /forum/post/14173462


Thanks for the info.. Looks like I'm SOL.


Does the STB have the ability to output dual HD? 1 via HDMI and 1 via component?


Thanks

if you have a SA box, in general, no, only one interface at a time. but that's third-hand knowledge, so i can't confirm that.


-Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
old thread, but what the hey...


Couldn't OP use a splitter?


Wall->splitter->STB-> HDTV

Wall->splitter->Tuner-> HDPC -> HDTV


Doesn't sound like he was planning on losing the STB anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrsic /forum/post/14362790


old thread, but what the hey...


Couldn't OP use a splitter?


Wall->splitter->STB-> HDTV

Wall->splitter->Tuner-> HDPC -> HDTV


Doesn't sound like he was planning on losing the STB anyway...

Yes, but that wasn't really the question. He wanted to view ALL HD channels that he could with his STB. Without the STB (to decrypt the channels), the QAM tuner in your HTPC can only tune in channels in the clear (which usually means only your locals). No premium channels and no cable channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,131 Posts
You can record the component output with the Hauppauge HD PVR. It's got component loop through so you can stick it between the STB and the TV.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top