AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some mpeg files on my computer which purport to be video, yet when I play them with Windows Media Player, only produce audio. Some other files, when I play them, connect to "The Codec Server", but fail to find a useable codec, and won't play.

How can I find out what codec a file requires, and is there a way to tell WMP to look in some other places for codecs? I have manually installed some codecs in the past, but I need to know what codec to get.

Second question: Is there any way to change my username, since I am no longer worried?

Thanks,

NLWOI :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Best solution is to use VideoLAN -- No codec hassles and there is even a version that will, in conjunction with DVA, allows treaming with commercial skip (adn even without DVA, you will still have quick skip and instant replay buttons). Very nice and covered on this forumn a number of times.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There is a nice ap called GSpot that does what I think you are looking for in regards to AVI's. If you're worried about codecs, it's most likely an AVI, not a MPEG file, right? GSpot is not an overblown package either. Unpacked it sits under 300K and doesn't require an installation. Just unzip it to a directory and go.

You can find it by going here . The ap gives you all kinds of details about the audio & video. It's worth checking out if you need help finding exactly what codec you need.

-- Craig

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use AviCodec for this purpose. It has to be installed, but will also install into the context (right click) menu so you can easily select individual files or whole folders to browse. It has buttons next to the audio and video codec information which will take you right to the website where the codec in question can be downloaded. Windows only, as far as I know.

http://avicodec.duby.info/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.