Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT'S ALIVE!!!

A BG800LC has been created using the 07MSPA's from a Retro Data 801s.

Lucas, as I affectionately call him is operational and nearly complete.

Here he is in the operating room.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Peek-a-boo

(sorry had to put some text here to post)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
COOL! O'course, the "Son of Barkenstein" moniker I'd hope would have been mine... bastard!

:D

Let us know how he performs... I'm hoping to do the same with my BG801.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goo Goo

Gaa Gaa

Barco

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... to elongate the holes on the top plate (see pic) for image size adjustment. The top plate of the R801s is a great fit for the G800 frame. It may need a little more bracing added to support the CRTs & lenses, will see after holes are modified.

Also may need other lenses although I believe I've read the 114/117 combo is good for up to a 100" image. I'll see after the CRTs are mounted to the modified top.

Anyone have any ideas on other lenses? It looks like HD 6 lenses may possibly fit; I'll have to try it with a set I have here.

Also I would like to change the glycol to Sony colored R & G. Is it better to replace the glycol in the CRT or in the LC chamber? Is there even a separate chamber Or is it all the same anyway? I have never seen any LC CRTs before so I don't even know what they look like apart.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Colored glychol will result in odd center-to-edge color saturation, because the C element is concave and the tube face is flat (the amount of glycol is less in the center than the edge, therefor the color filtering impact is greater at the edge.)

Colored C elements or a filter film is needed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnfoley
Colored glychol will result in odd center-to-edge color saturation, because the C element is concave and the tube face is flat (the amount of glycol is less in the center than the edge, therefor the color filtering impact is greater at the edge.)

Colored C elements or a filter film is needed.

Is there glycol in the CRT (like a non-LC) that I can change, and then seperate glycol in the LC chamber as well? Sorry, have never seen any LC before.

Although form the looks of it, it would be very difficult to remove the chamber to get to the CRT glycol anyway. Probably not worth the effort when there are easier solutions.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe
Is there glycol in the CRT (like a non-LC) that I can change, and then seperate glycol in the LC chamber as well? Sorry, have never seen any LC before.

Although form the looks of it, it would be very difficult to remove the chamber to get to the CRT glycol anyway. Probably not worth the effort when there are easier solutions.

LC's don't work that way... on a non-LC there's a thin, consistent cross section chamber full of cooling fluid between the glass tube face and optical glass outer face. On LCs, there's no outer glass face... there's only the C element. The LC chamber IS the cooling chamber.

So, if you look at the cross section of the LC/cooling chamber, the amount of fluid will be parabola shaped... lots at the outsides, little in the middle. This is why colored won't work... the light from the outer edges of the tube spends much more time in glycol than the middle, therefor more light will be filtered, therefor the projected image will have less color saturation at the edges.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe
It looks like HD 6 lenses may possibly fit
HD-6s won't fit as they are AC lenses and not LC. Shame, otherwise you could fit colour filtered HD-6s.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
V-

You should be able to order/buy colored C-Elements for the tubes from VDC. They are $100 each. I have thought about doing just that.

right now the Barkenstein 808 is being adjusted. I pulled the red to put in the retro and am looking at which tubes I want to use in it.

I also need to get the second retro up and running - it also developed leaks from rough journey from houston (frickin I-10 is the worst road...).

So the Barkenstein has been put on the backburner..

:(

Pete

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Spawn

Chip

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sweet project. I wanted to make an LC'd 1031Q with the tubes from a Sony RPTV, but ended up selling the tv and the 1031Q. Kinda regretting it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.