AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of What Replay TV needs...

117 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  holycrap 
#1 ·
Just so this doesn't get lost in the mix...

One other suggestion... the "return to live" button on the remote should ALWAYS return you to the "live" broadcast. I find that it's mostly worthless, and getting back to "live" broadcasts, requires me to pop up the "Channel Guide", then pop it down. How about making the button behave like the labelling?

------------------

--

Who really cares?

#2 ·
Do you mean while watching a Replay Show you want Replay to go back to the most-recently-tuned-to station?

I disagree.

Why?

Because I watch so little Live TV I barely ever know which channel that button would take me to.

I'd rather go to the Channel Guide to find out what show I'm gonna be tuning to.

I think you can do what you are describing by just using the Jump button.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyboy2:
I'd like to see a "browse" feature added that is similar to the one used on Dishnetwork recievers
For those of us who do not have a Dishnetwork, how about describing the feature? You will have a better chance of others "demanding" it if they know what you are talking about.

karog

#5 ·
Thanks Mike.

Good point karog. I'll give it a shot and perhaps Mike can clarify and/or embellish if necessary.

OK, imagine this: You are watching a show and you don't want the whole guide hogging up the screen, so you hit your "browse" button (right cursor) and a small translucent banner pops up on the bottom of the screen to show you what channel, title, time, time remaining, duration, ratings, etc. Then you want to see what is on next so you hit the browse button a 2nd time and the next show is displayed in the popup.

Using you up/down cursor keys you scroll through the channels, without actually changing the channel, to see what is currently playing/or what is on next. If you land on a channel in the current time slot that you want to switch to you just hit "select" and the channel changes. If you hit select while the popup is showing the next time slot a dialog pops up asking if you want to record, reminder, etc.

While the popup info banner is displayed you may also jump to other channels just by punching in the channel number. All without changing channels.

Its really quite addictive and I didn't realize how much I missed it until I bought the Dishplayer. You can essentially surf unobtrusively without actually changing channels, and you can do it much faster than bringing up the full guide.

I wish more people could see it so that it could make the feature request list.

Thanks,

Tom

#7 ·
We actually have two versions of this on my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box.

If you hit the GUIDE button once, the program you are watching moves to the upper right of the screen (something around 40% of both the vertical and the horizontal). The upper left side shows the network (With their logo) and the name and brief description of the program. Below that is the channel guide which shows 5 channels and 1 1/2 hours of program data. While in the guide mode you can move to any other channel info, while still watching your show. A hit of the INFO button moves out the channel guide and provides a more full description of the show, so that you can get full show descriptions of shows on other channels or at other times.

Hitting SELECT at any time will bring you to the station highlighed in the guide or the one you are seeking INFO about.

A second option is to hit the INFO button twice while watching a show.

A bar on the left side of the screen (10 percent or so) shows the time and channel while the bottom shows the program information (sometimes you'll need to hit the page up/down to scroll through info). When these bars pop up, your show is resized so you don't miss any programming, it is just truncated. With the use of the arrow buttons, you can scroll through all the other programming (moving through channels and time).

The Replay Remote actually handles most of this functionality when programmed for this box - the only thing lacking is the page function.

#10 ·
Texascap, you've got the idea. Although to do this without changing the channel Replay would have to permit a browse mode somehow. The cursor keys are unused when you are not in a menu or guide so they are good candidates for navigating in browse mode.

It doesn't sound like Mike feels it is that difficult to do. Its just a matter of getting some consensus and ultimiately enough request to get the feature into a point release or even next major release.

Tom

#11 ·
Mike,
Quote:
Unfortunately, there hasn't been much demand for it, so I've had trouble getting it on the schedule.
If you're collecting votes...

"Browse" is one of the few things I miss from having the Dish 5000 box relegated to being a slave to the ReplayTV. Star ratings on movies would be another.

#12 ·
Gee...Mike - I hope you're paying attention to the "is this is 3.0?" comments??!

Maybe ?4.0? is more about making current features more use-able (Channel Guide, etc) than adding more feautres?

Anyone? Whatta think about that? Forego a major FEATURE release for some additional usability tweaks?

I'd be up for it!!!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by holycrap:

The Replay Remote actually handles most of this functionality when programmed for this box - the only thing lacking is the page function.
Holycrap,

Which Replay remote buttons handle this functionality? I too have the Explorer 2000 and have missed those functions since getting the Showtopper. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Blaine

#14 ·
Well, I guess we are getting some momentum...but perhaps this thread is not helping the cause. Should I start a new thread more appropriately titled to attract even more supporters?

ReplayMike, does any of this matter? How many people would it take to get this on the "list"? How many more to get this in a "3.01" release?

Thanks,

Tom

#15 ·
Details on Explorer 2000 remote emulation:

Hitting the RTV DISPLAY button is the equivalent of the INFO button. One hit on this brings a small bar across the bottom with the program name and time. Arrows will let you move through times and channels, the SELECT button will tune to it.

If you hit the DISPLAY button twice, you get a larger areas at the bottom and side of the screen which you can navigate.

The GUIDE button on the RTV remote functions the same as the GUIDE button on the Explorer remote.

MENU on RTV brings up the same menu that the Explorer SETTINGS button does, but there are no A B or C keys, (or page keys at least none that I have found) so you are somewhat stuck with the fucntionality of that menu, but the remote is good enough that I don't need the cable remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.