AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is leaving for college in a week and I will have no 360 to use anymore. I used his mainly for streaming NetFlix on XBL, but game on it occasionally. I am getting ready to purchase another one, but wondering should I buy a arcade version like he had or get something else. Also new or used? I am also reading something about a "Jasper" chipset. I don't know what kind he had, but we never had any trouble with it. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It really depends on how much gaming you do, and what games you play. The Arcade at $199 is a great buy for casual gaming and streaming, it comes with a single wireless controller, copmosite SD video cables, and 256 or 512 mb of onboard memory. The Pro at $299 includes Component HD video cables, a headset for online gaming and a 60 gb Hard Drive.

I would definitely buy new, unless money is seriously tight. Unless the store you are buying from has some really old stock, either system you buy will the Jasper motherboard in it, which is the best version available. You'll know you got a Jasper because it will have a 150w power brick, and a 12.1 amp rating.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay that sounds like good advice. One more question if you know, Will I need to uninstall the NetFlix app off of my son's 360 so that NetFlix will stream to my new one? I'm wondering if they will allow two devices. I remember when we first set his up, we had to enter a unique ID number from the Xbox to the NetFlix website in order to make everything work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mproper, you are correct, I dug around the NetFlix site and see that they allow a maximum of six devices to stream for each account. Whats more, they will allow the devices to stream at the same time depending on what kind of subscription you have. Since I have the three-disc plan, I guess they will let me stream three movies all at the same time. I think I will go with a new xbox for me since my son has used his quite a bit and I don't think his has the updated motherboard. Thanks to all who posted. even the cartoonist!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Since downloadable content is becoming more and more common, I would buy one with the biggest hard drive you can.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
whoa, who has a 2+ disc plan with only 1 console and wants to let me in on theirs!?

OP: Dell has the arcade for $179.99, and i would buy a new 120gb hard drive from ebay for $75-$100

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16926759

whoa, who has a 2+ disc plan with only 1 console and wants to let me in on theirs!?

I'm sure a lot of people do that. I find it sleazy (no offense). Cough up a lousy $8.99 a month for a Netflix account.

Besides, I would never want someone messing with my NF Instant Watch Queue/History.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Pick up a new Arcade Jasper with built-in memory. Latest Dashboard update + Jasper Arcade = lightening fast dash.

You should be able to link up your netflix account easily. I doubt it's tied to your gamertag.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
wait a month, I think new bundles coming out and there will be deals on the old units. New Pro is getting 120gig hd so expect price drop on the 60gig units. Arcade not worth it imho. Get a jasper though, no matter what you have to do. Look for 12,1A to the left of the serial when you look at the hole in the top of the box. Basically, anything built in the last few months should be a jasper anyways, and the build date is also in the same area

·
Registered
964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/16927757

wait a month, I think new bundles coming out and there will be deals on the old units. New Pro is getting 120gig hd so expect price drop on the 60gig units. Arcade not worth it imho. Get a jasper though, no matter what you have to do. Look for 12,1A to the left of the serial when you look at the hole in the top of the box. Basically, anything built in the last few months should be a jasper anyways, and the build date is also in the same area

Aren't most arcades Jaspers? Which would rule out you ruling them out...

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/16926759

OP: Dell has the arcade for $179.99, and i would buy a new 120gb hard drive from ebay for $75-$100

Yup. I'd buy from Dell if I was getting one right now.

He probably doesn't need a 120 GB HD though. Unless by occasionally, he really means heavy media user and/or hardcore. The onboard memory might be good enough and if he needs to expand, 20GB may be all he ever needs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wait until the first semester of school is over. If he is taking his 360 with him he will be back home for good. 360 VS studing.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/16925134

It really depends on how much gaming you do, and what games you play. The Arcade at $199 is a great buy for casual gaming and streaming, it comes with a single wireless controller, copmosite SD video cables, and 256 or 512 mb of onboard memory. The Pro at $299 includes Component HD video cables, a headset for online gaming and a 60 gb Hard Drive.

I would definitely buy new, unless money is seriously tight. Unless the store you are buying from has some really old stock, either system you buy will the Jasper motherboard in it, which is the best version available. You'll know you got a Jasper because it will have a 150w power brick, and a 12.1 amp rating.

I bought my Arcade Jasper 360 used and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. On top of that it was still under warranty and before I handed the seller the cash I was on the phone with Xbox customer support having "ownership" transferred over to me. That was...March? Used isn't a bad option IF it's still under warranty. I think I paid $150 for the console w/cables and controller. Then I went on Ebay and bought a "like new" 60GB HDD. I think I paid $50 shipped for it.

What I would do: Buy either new or used Arcade 360. Assuming you have HDMI input on your TV get an HDMI cable. Then pick up a 60GB either new or used. Get a cheap headset and game on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts